Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photoshoot Scheduling

Unread 08-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Photographer available: Dragon*Con 2012, Atlanta, 8/31-9/2

*** Sorry, all booked ... I need to keep some time for myself so I can see the dealer rooms and go to panels and catch my breath and recharge my batteries (literally and figuratively).

*** I plan to have a little portrait booth set up after the Bioshock shoot at the aquarium on Saturday night, so if you're there please come say hi.

*** If you see me out and about on Saturday during the day, please stop me for an impromptu on-the-spot portrait - scroll down to Post #6 so you'll know how to identify me, I'm easy to spot.

*** I'll be at MegaCon (Orlando) in February with some more availability for cosplay shoots, and I'm available for anyone in the Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando areas just about any time of the year.

Hi,

I'm a semi-pro photographer based in Tampa, and will be at Dragon*Con from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. I'm putting together my panel/event schedule now, but I'd like to schedule a couple of dedicated individual or small-group shoots.

Current photo schedule and availability:
Friday late afternoon (~6pm) - Private shoots (A.LR. then D.R.)
Friday late night (after Zombie Walk) - Mortal Kombat, location tbd
Friday late late night - Private shoot (werewolf)
Saturday evening: Bioshock photoshoot/meet at Aquarium - Also, I will make some additional availability for unscheduled walk-ups while at the aquarium, probably around 10pm until they kick us out.
Sunday early afternoon - Soul Calibur photoshoot/meet, Sheraton Pool
Sunday late afternoon - Once Upon A Time photoshoot/meet, Marriott Pulse

My usual style leans toward hard, edgy, and contrasty, good for aggressive or dark characters. However, I also have a moderate amount of experience in pinup/burlesque shooting, if your character fits that style. I generally don't do "light and dreamy" so if that's in your character's persona, I may not be right for you.

I'm asking a small fee to cover my setup (lugging around my lighting gear) and post-processing time, and to help keep my schedule from being overcrowded. $20 gets you a shoot of approximately half an hour for one or two people, and I'll deliver four to six finished images (along with license to print and display for personal, non-commercial use). I'll also request that you sign a model release allowing me to use the images we make in my portfolio. For larger groups I may charge a bit more and/or deliver fewer finished images per cosplayer. Or, if you have an amazing costume that greatly enhances my portfolio, I may waive the fee altogether.

Caveat: I'm not greatly familiar with the area, so we'll need to work together to find appropriate locations. If you already know a good location, that'll be quite helpful.

If you like my style and think we would work well together, send me a private message here, post in this thread, or drop me an email: nathan (at) avidchick.net

Here are a handful of my favorites from the past couple of years - note that none of these were taken at a convention, but are still good examples of my style of lighting and processing. Click through to go to my Flickr set.

Jennifer as Barbarella (from the 1968 Jane Fonda sci-fi flick)

Mark as The Villain:

Self-Portrait as Please Stay Calm:

Jessica as Boom-Boom laBelle:

Tatiana as Lola the Torch Singer:

Rae as SaFFire Vedette:

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by nathancarter : 08-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
dollipopcosplay

Wow! Your pictures are absolutely phenomenal! I would love to hire you! I am stunned at the quality of the photographs. They're beautiful. The only problem might be that I don't know the area either, but I'll be sure to do some research beforehand just to make things even better.
Charizard
Venusaur
Blastoise
Harry Potter
Sasuke
Roxas
Sora
dollipopcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Cynamin
Crafty Geek

Here's a good link from a couple of years ago with a bunch of locations around Dragon*Con that are good for photos: http://dragoncon.livejournal.com/2043197.html and http://dragoncon.livejournal.com/2703954.html

I really like your style - gorgeous, love the contrast. I might contact you later (if my big costume project actually gets done to my satisfaction) to see if you're still available at all for Saturday.
Cynamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
nathancarter

Dolly,
Thanks, let's keep in touch. What are you cosplaying for this con?

Cynamin,
Thanks so much for those links! Super useful.

And I hope your costume is done in time - is that the Steampunk Harley? I'd love to see it. My wife and I are both big fans of the Steampunk aesthetic. On Saturday I'll be out and about in my Steampunk expeditionary photographer gear... I'm a walking, talking, steam-powered photo studio My ad-hoc walkabout portraits are fun and usually turn out pretty good, but not to the level I can achieve with a little bit of additional setup and forethought, like the ones above.

Usually my wife does some variant of Batgirl (Babs) or Batwoman (Kathy Kane) but this year she's doing two different Barbarella costumes - that's her in the first photo up there, but her second one isn't quite done yet.
Unread 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Cynamin
Crafty Geek

Steampunk expedition photographer - I hope I spot you Saturday! Sounds awesome! And love your wife's Barbarella.

The picture in my icon is indeed my Steampunk Harley Quinn. It was my big costume project last year, and I'll be wearing it on Friday this year with a couple of improvements (better corset, gloves, cuffs...always a work in progress). My big costume project for this year is Irulan from the Sci-fi miniseries of Dune. The main structure part is done, which means I have 2 weeks to tackle a big pleated cape shoulder thing. Nothing like last minute, right?
Cynamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
nathancarter

Sorry for the shameless self-bump. Here's my Expeditionary Photographer kit.

To anyone who's reading this thread, if you see me on Saturday, please stop me: I'll be very happy to take a quick snapshot portrait or two, free of charge of course. It won't be to the quality of the shots I posted above, but I promise it will beat the leather pantaloons off any cell phone shots.

The flashes up top are fully functional. And I must come clean on my fib: They're battery-powered, not steam-powered.

Steampunk.20120219.4951.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
dollipopcosplay

I'll be a burlesque interpretation of Zapdos hopefully. If that falls through I'll be sure to let you know ahead of time of my outfit change
Charizard
Venusaur
Blastoise
Harry Potter
Sasuke
Roxas
Sora
dollipopcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
pixelkicker
I'll Shoot You.

Love the flash pack man! I will keep an eye out for you at the con
Unread 08-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
nathancarter

One more that I had to show off. As soon as we got set up it started to rain. Well, the show must go on, as they say.

My lovely wife and assistant Jennifer as "The Hand that Feeds" ... unexpectedly in the rain

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 08-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.