Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Brandal3

Mask help: Plaster Cloth, Gesso, Paints and Finishes?

I'm making an Amon mask from Legend Of Korra. I've already used plaster cloth to get the shape of my head.
How many layers of plaster cloth should I use?
What material should I use after the plaster cloth layers (I heard I should use a combo of water and flour (do you know what ratio of water to flour the mixture should be?) to get a smooth surface? I have 150, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper to use.
After the gesso/flour:water mixture layers and sanding, is the next step to paint? Are Acrylic paints good to use?
After painting, what finish should I use if I don't want the surface to look glossy? Instead I want the mask finish to look kind of dull (like a mask would look like back in the 1920's, as if it didn't have a finish).
THANKS!!!
Brandal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Brandal3

Would mod podge matte be a good finisher?
Brandal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I would stay away from anything that was watery, once the plaster has set, because too much moisture can cause it to re-soften. I think the RigidWrap package suggests at least 3 layers of plaster wrap, and I can say that I've used 2-3 on my masks. It should be sturdy but not too thick.

Air-drying clay might be a better solution, or possibly mod podge - I haven't used mod podge before but a lot of people do swear by it. An air-drying clay can cover the rough surface and even reshape any parts that you don't think turned out exactly like the mask ought to look, and it's very sandable once dry and cured for a couple days. Then any craft paint will do.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Penlowe

Acrylic paint does not need a 'finish' and will be matte unless you specifically buy a gloss version.
I dislike Mod Podge, it's very watered down with the intent of being kid safe, which is fine if you are eight, but Acrylic medium is a better choice over MP for things that actually need finishing.