Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
VictorianMess

CosplayHolic review

Hello. I just wrote up a lengthy review about the site called CosplayHolic or also known as doublepshop2008 on ebay. This is a positive review with lots of pictures both showing the plus sides and the little flaws. I have all the links posted on the blog post which can be found here http://cosplaywitch.blogspot.com/201...e-picture.html

We ordered two Tsubasa costumes (Sakura's pink hanfu artbook version and the match Syaoran outfit) As well as Sakura's wig and the matching headdress for the hanfu. These items took around 15 days to make and shipped out just two days ago. I got the package yesterday and I'm super happy with what we got. If you have any questions about working with this company or about the products bought feel free to ask away. I'm very willing to help you out.
VictorianMess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
KratosAurion28
Blame your fate

I have friends who plans to order from that site during the end of this month and so far I have only found positive about them. This makes me feel safe to let them order there. I told them to order straight from cosplayholic.com instead from an ebay seller who seemed to have the same products (might be some sort of owner of the company). Here is the ebay sellers page: http://myworld.ebay.com/2aplus2/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Thanks for writting this!

In progress:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Link

Next con: Kemi's manga day (11/10 - 2014) Kemi, Finland
SAT - Casual Levi with Attack on Titan themed clothes

Last edited by KratosAurion28 : 08-22-2012 at 08:07 AM.
KratosAurion28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
VictorianMess

That's good. On the site they do have a e-mail address with 2aplus in it so it's possible they have two ebays which is weird but it's always safer to e-mail them through their website info@cosplayholic.com / a.aplus2kids@gmail.com by one of those e-mails. I hope your friend has a good experience working with them. They do a great job.
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
mixaka
Granter of wishes

I have had an incredibly horrible experience with this commissioner. I paid for 3 full costumes and only received 2 of them. Those 2 costumes were okay. One of the tops had a very bad choice of shirt closure and the boots I paid for where way to large even though I provided measurements for the boots well beyond what they requested. They simply 'forgot' about the third costume I had paid for. Then, when they finally bothered sending it to me, it was horribly rushed, very poor quality, and totally missing the shoes which I had requested and paid for.

I have still not received the shoes or a refund and they have not responded to the last email I sent to them on June 24th. When I pointed out all the mistakes with the costume, they were argumentative and pretty much implied that I should be happy with their poor quality work given the price they quoted me (note that I did not ask for any discounts and simply paid the price they first quoted me). I think they under quoted me and, instead of telling me it would cost more than expected, took short cuts when making my costume...the biggest short cut being not making or sending the shoes at all.

I highly recommend ordering from the ebay site because, if something goes wrong, maybe they will bother helping you if they know you can give them a negative feedback unlike me who they seem content to ignore. Or just don't order from them at all.
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
pinkkiller

I hope you don't mind me asking mixaka, did you commission costumes they had in store or something new?
I was very excited about VictorianMess' review so I was kind of hoping they only have issues with costumes they have to create from scratch *cough*
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
mixaka
Granter of wishes

All 3 costumes were new and not listed on the site, though they are now. The 2 I did like well enough are both Fate Zero Irisviel Von Einzbern. The one poorly done outfit is Seer from FFA2 that they have listed under Final Fantasy XI. I hope to write a proper review soon.

The pictures they display are their own work which is why I commissioned them in the first place. I assume if you are ordering something they have already done, you will receive what is shown in the photos. However, I just felt I should share my experience. It's easier to see a persons true character when things go wrong than when things go right. They totally forgot to make the Seer costume, completely. Something I have gave them over 200 USD for they just never started working on. Then they rushed to finish it, which I specifically warned them against doing, and forgot to send the shoes. Now, because I complained about problems with the Seer costume, they refuse to respond to my emails and have essentially stolen the money I gave them for the shoes. I guess if you feel comfortable ordering from someone who would do that sort of thing, go for it. Clearly, I don't recommend ordering from them given how poorly they have treated me and the fact that they seem to think it is okay to take money from people and then not provide what was paid for or send a refund.

Edit: I would also like to point out that it's troublesome that they refuse to respond to my email set over 2 months ago. They are clearly answering emails from other people. If something goes wrong with your order, do you really want to be working with someone who just stops responding to you because they don't want to deal with the issue? It's incredibly unprofessional. I have made no unjust demands when emailing them. Other than list my complaints about the Seer costume (admittedly a very long list), I only asked that they either send me the shoes or a refund for them. I didn't ask for a refund on the costume or demand that they fix it or make a new one. Only that they provide what I paid for or refund me for what they never sent. They have done neither and have opted to ignore me and keep my money instead.

Last edited by mixaka : 08-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
KratosAurion28
Blame your fate

@mixaka I´ m sorry that it happened to you! Man just me or does it feel like no site is 100% reliable when it comes to cosplay costumes? That company might as well like many others be a hit or miss one, witch makes me really unsure now about my friends decisions.

I see your point about getting from the ebay seller, but it´s also unsure from where he/she gets the costumes and if they are already done or not. There´s a risk too.

In progress:

Last edited by KratosAurion28 : 08-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
pinkkiller

Please don't misunderstand me, I agree that it is unacceptable that they cut off communication with customers who are not satisfied (and worse, did not receive a costume they paid for) and didn't want to brush off your experience because you "dared" to commission something new or anything, that's not what I meant.
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
mixaka
Granter of wishes

Then what did you mean? I don't feel that because I ordered something new that my experience with them should be considered unique. This commissioner provided me with poor quality, incomplete work. They refuse to contact me after I voiced complaints about the costume they sent me even though I have still not received the shoes I paid for. Shoes that should have been shipped with the costume. My issue with them has little to do with what I ordered and everything to do with the attitude and ethics of the seller. You've implied that you are willing to risk buying from a commissioner who has stolen from another cosplayer as long as you feel the same will not happen to you. But it could happen to you, just like it happened to me.
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
VictorianMess

I'm guessing Mixaka ordered during a busy season because they have had issues with getting a huge flood of costumes done during that time and they've warned people on their site about that. Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted and expected. I had issues with another site that never gave us what we ordered so I know how upset you must have been. However they don't steal other sites pictures and that's why I bought from this site. We got what we saw. Perhaps they updated their way of doing business. They got our order right on time. Everything was included as shown.

Sadly the costume you disliked wasn't shown under the topic you said so I can't see. If you dislike them I suggest doing your own review with pictures (Both stock and of the item you got) for people to see. Oh, have you tried e-mailing them from both their e-mails? They have two listed. If you e-mailed them through the forum on their site they most likely didn't get it. That forum doesn't seem to work. It didn't work for us when we tried so we e-mailed them.

@KratosAurion28,

I wouldn't be worried over ONE bad review. I did a lot of research on the site before hand (which I suggest everyone does) and found good reviews. Yes they have been known to forgot items but have always shipped them out free of charge because it was their mistake.

But really guys, it's up to you if you buy from them or not. I'm not saying you HAVE to or anything. I'm just sharing my positive experience.
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
pinkkiller

@mixaka: I'm not sure why you feel it's your personal mission to convince me not to order from them? Is it a personal insult if I don't follow your advice? There is one stellar and one bad review here, it is natural to consider both and I thank you for sharing your experience (just like VictorianMess, the reviews on your blog are very extensive, I like that!).

Last edited by pinkkiller : 08-25-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
mixaka
Granter of wishes

I haven't make it my mission to do anything other than share my experience. I would certainly prefer people not order from them but I assume anyone in my shoes would feel the same. But you are clearly welcome to order from them if that is what you want to do. I would not feel insulted. If you decide to commission from them, I would simply wish you good luck with your experience and hope it turns out like VictorianMess' and not like mine.

I would have loved to receive such amazing service and costumes as detailed in her review. Her review is exactly what I was hoping for with my commission, proper fit, details noticed, quick responses to email. I did my research on the company and liked what I saw or I would not have commissioned 3 costumes from them all at once. But my experience has been nothing like what I expected or what VictorianMess experienced. Below are more details about the commission for anyone who may be interested in knowing more about what happened.

I first contacted them in late February about the costumes and paid the first week in March of 2012. 2 of the costumes arrived on April 30th. I don't know if that is their busy time or not. I know they did not have any sort of notice about being busy on their site like they do now for Halloween costumes and their earliest open time slot was listed as early April. I specifically asked them to take their time with the costumes as my deadline was not set in stone. Even for the Seer costume they forgot to start in March, I asked that they take their time so that I would be sure not to get rushed work. That costume arrived June 23rd minus the shoes. I assume they took all the time they felt they needed to complete the projects to the best of their ability.

I was pleased with the first two costume. With some slight alterations, a staple gun to take in the boots, and the addition of a hidden zipper they were great. I guess that set my expectations for the Seer costume fairly high. Even though they forgot about it, I voiced no complaints because the first 2 costumes had me excited about how the Seer costume would turn out. During the time I was waiting for the Seer costume, I also contacted them about another project as well but they told me they would not be able to do it. I appreciated that they were honest about their abilities. When the Seer costume arrived I was horribly disappointed by the fact that the quality was much lower than the first costumes I got and the fact they again forgot to send me my complete order.

The Seer costume is in the Final Fantasy XI section. I am not sure why VictorianMess was unable to find it. If you go to http://www.cosplayholic.com, go to the column on the left and click Final Fantasy XI. My costume is the one listed under that link as Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Seer Cosplay Costume. Here is a link if anyone is having trouble finding it. The preview image I sent them can be found here if you want to compare their work to the preview. There is only the one picture available of the outfit. I also started a gallery of some of the mistakes they made on the costume here . I sent the pictures to them as well to let them know why I was not happy with the costume. There are more issues that I have not yet taken pictures of including sizing issues not present with the first 2 costumes they sent me and a faulty zipper for the pants. A lot of the costume is just confusing to me such as the total lack of details with the mittens, the poor choice of fabric for the mittens, the missing details and colored cords with the pouch accessory, re-using fabrics where different colored fabrics should have been used, what the brown straps hanging from the sides are supposed to be, and why uncut button holes were used to simulate the black stitching details around the edge of the cape and pants. I can't honestly imagine any professional seamstress using uncut button holes for that type of detailing. I was quite shocked. They got the general shape of the costume correct, which I applaud them for as it is not a normal shape but almost all of the most basic details were overlooked and the accessories just seemed like afterthoughts. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I really don't think so. Not given how good they seem to be at getting basic details correct on other, just as complicated costumes.

I cannot take a picture of the thing that is most upsetting as I can't take a picture of something that I was never sent. I paid for shipping of the Seer (everything but staff, earing, and wig) and 2 Fate Stay Zero costumes (everything but wig and black stockings) at the same time as paying for all 3 commissions. I was not offered any sort of discount or shipping refund for them forgetting to send or even start the Seer costume. I have also not been offered free shipping (not really free though as they would have included the shoes in the original shipping fee they calculated for me) or a refund on the shoes. They know about the issue and said they would make them for me or send a refund but they haven't done either and have not responded to or contacted me at all since June.

I wish I had a nice blog to post all this information to but I do not. Cosplay is an occasional hobby for me and not one that I document extensively online via blogs or social website sites. Cos.com and occasionally cure are the only places I post pictures of my cosplay. Given my recent string of bad commissions even when due diligence is done, this one will probably be my last.
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
KratosAurion28
Blame your fate

@VictorianMESS First off I DID search after several reviews from the site before I came here (and yes they were positive like I wrote in my first post here). It was quite a shock to see that a site that got many good reviews just happened to fail that bad in a commission. Sure, no one is perfect but misses (especially big ones) opens your view of a store more and tells you that things isn´t always "happy-go-lucky 100% secure and satisfaction " witch they say they always are. We learn from misses, they make us improve and we can always have them in mind for a safer tomorrow.

I wouln´t roll with the thought that something is 100% secure in the Internet even if I would order there. I would always be a little bit careful no matter what others say about a site, even if it has several good reviews. That´s what I try to say, so I understand, respect and share your experience and its point. But take also my reply with respect and understanding. I just want to say how I look at things and wants no fights with anyone.

Thank you.

In progress:

Last edited by KratosAurion28 : 08-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #14
simonwong30

Hello! I just order a costume from them..and i am bit worried, since he said it's a new project for him, it was going to take him longer, to do. Im just curious, how long does it usually take for them to complete a new "project"? btw he's making me asura kishin cosplay, it's bit different the wrapped ones..thanks in advance..(what i really want to know..are they truth worthy..)
simonwong30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #15
Wolfer

I don't mean to be a downer but I'm not having much luck with these guys right now. I asked them at the beginning of July for an outfit and i made it clear to them on the day i would need it. I made sure they could do that before i order and they said yes if i paid immediatly which i did of course. Now i get an email form them today asking for more days with the deadline i asked for was 3 days away. I don't even know how they would be able to ship it to me on time. So i can't judge on their quality but if you do order with them, just make sure you order really early and expect a possible delay. All i can say right now they ruined my cosplay for otakon. Just thought i pass this warning along. if anything comes up with change of plans or so, i'll let you know in this thread.
Wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote