Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Amandy-Chan

Appearance of Platform Shoes with no height?

My boyfriend and I are planning on cosplaying characters who have a very large height difference, but we're about the same height. So we're most likely going to put him in platform shoes. The problem is that my character actually does wear platform shoes and I want to add as little height as possible to myself. So I thought to construct something that would look like a platform shoe, but not actually add height. Here's a quick crappy drawing of what I have in mind in case it makes more sense than my words:
http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...deadrawing.png

I have no idea what materials to use for something like that. It needs to be stiff enough to hold its shape, but I also need to be able to put it on. If I could find something to make the shape, I could sew a boot cover to go over it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If it helps, this is the character: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ane_render.png
Amandy-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Carved upholstery foam should do well to give you the fake foot shape. Glue the foam to the top of your shoe (where the tongue of the shoe would be) and pull the bootcover over it, or glue it to the underside of the bootcover. For the sides of the fake platform, I'd use some 6mm craft foam or EVA foam matting, it'll give you the stiffness and bulk you need.

One concern is that if you make the fake foot too high, it may make your lower leg/shin/calf look really short. You probably won't see this in standing poses, but if you bend your knee, the fake foot might make your lower leg look deformed. Just something to keep in mind.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I think you can get away without doing platform shoes - looking at the reference - it's the detail of the coat and overall close fit of the outfit that stands out. The shoes look like they have a white band around the edge - not necessarily a platform. I agree with rj that your proportions could just end up looking off.

I suggest putting together the rest of both coplays and put them on before deciding if you really have to fake a platform shoe for yourself. That could be a detail that distracts from the overall look more than helps it. Make it the last thing you work on and you probably won't even need it.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
Amandy-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
I think you can get away without doing platform shoes - looking at the reference - it's the detail of the coat and overall close fit of the outfit that stands out. The shoes look like they have a white band around the edge - not necessarily a platform. I agree with rj that your proportions could just end up looking off.

I suggest putting together the rest of both coplays and put them on before deciding if you really have to fake a platform shoe for yourself. That could be a detail that distracts from the overall look more than helps it. Make it the last thing you work on and you probably won't even need it.
Whether or not I do it though will affect the length of the pants.
Amandy-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
char99char
Crazy for costumes

You can leave them long and hem them last thing.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote