Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
jaxadorawho
Jaxadora Who

MLP Cosplay - Cutie Mark Location

Hellos! :3 New to this site, so please bear with me if this isn't the correct location to post this question. I'm looking for accuracy for my MLP: FiM cosplay and I'm dressing as Fluttershy. Where do cutie marks go on, for example, a skirt? Right or left? Hip or more butt area? XD;

Also, any suggestion on tails? Do you use yarn/ribbon to construct the tail and then pin it to the pants/skirt? O_o;

Thanks for any help/advice! <3
jaxadorawho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Neener_nina

I made my cutie mark out of felt and sewed it to my sweater/cardigan on the ... left (?) side of my stomach. The Fluttershy in our group made hers out of felt and put them on pins and made them pseudo brooches that she pinned to the lower part of her skirt, and her girlfriend was Rainbow Dash who sewed hers to the left butt pocket of her denim shorts.

And we all had cutiemark necklaces. I did have earrings, but one of them fell off and got lost forever. :C

As for tails, we kind of... forwent tails and stuck to ears/horn/wings.
Neener_nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

For Pinkie Pie, I put my cutie mark on the lower right side of my skirt with sparkly fabric paint.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

For mine, I'm actually going to be rigging a sort of wrap around belt with Rarity's diamonds and putting it around my waist, having the diamonds towards my left. Is it accurate to the location on the character? Not really, but aesthetically, it'll be more attractive to have it on my plain white waist than my very gathered skirt that will also have a layer of gathered chiffon over it. For my tail, I'm not really trying for one. I'm giving the impression of a tail by adding a stream of purple tulle to my bustle.

Even so, most of us who do Mlp cosplays do gijinka versions. Because we're doing human representations of the characters, the cutie marks can be wherever we see fit on our outfits because cutie marks don't occur naturally on humans (same thing with tails - you really don't need to add one if you don't feel like it). In short, the cutie mark, in any form you see fit, can go wherever you feel like it will look best in your ensemble. :3
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 08-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
heaven_firings

I plan to put mine on the lower front part of a vest, possibly off to the sides a little. I for one can't put it on my pants anywhere near the waist/hip because I will have a bustle that would otherwise cover it up.

For the other version (possibly first since it's easier) I'll probably just be getting a necklace version I saw on Etsy. Unless I use the same pants then I might put it somewhere on those and not worry about it being hidden when I get my nicer one. Decisions, decisions...
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
AJisEverywhere
Musical Assassin

I pinned my cutie mark onto my shirt: lower-right, front-favoring. As long as it's visible, and looks cool, though, I think it's really up to you!

Also, for a tail, I started out using sort of wig-hair tucked in the back of my skirt, but found it really looked more creepy than cute. That may be in part, though, because my cosplay uses a hat with a plushie mane instead of a wig. :X Tails seem to be very forgivable, so if you don't have an idea or don't like the look, you're fine going without one. ^^
AJisEverywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Emrys

Did you figure out where you wanted your cutie marks?

Cutie marks would have slightly different placement on different types of clothing: ruffled skirt vs. jean skirt, pants vs. shirt. I say anything goes as long as A) it is visible and B) the location makes sense based on the type of clothing.

If you have a straight skirt you could put one in front and one in back along the hem. If you have a ruffled/flowy skirt you might need to put it on the waistband or belt for it to show up. Hard to say without knowing what your skirt looks like. Also, looking at fanart might help you get some ideas for cutie mark placement.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
RebelGrrl

When I did my Applejack I went with right hip on my jeans made out of felt. I also happened to have a peachy-orange checkered shirt which matched her tone pretty well. So it all tied together quite nicely.
Harley Quinn- Batman (my own variation)
Rogue- X-Men (X-Men Legacy costume)

Planning
Mystique
Merida- Brave
RebelGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Swiftstart

for my twilight I made it her belt buckle :3
Swiftstart is offline   Reply With Quote