Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
A Grue

Hi! I just requested to join the D*Con faceboook group (I'm carly). For the past two years I've gone as Asha Greyjoy to the convention, but with Yara in the show now :/, I suppose it's time for me to make something new. I don't know what, though, and I don't even know if I'll have the time and money to make a new costume, but I'd still love to try! If nothing else, I'll want to be at the photoshoot to see you all. c:
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Draculina
~ devine your destiny! ~

Secondary Female Characters from ASOIAF

First, I would just like to tell you, A Grue, that your Asha cosplay is amazing; you pretty much resemble 100% what I pictured in my head when I read ACOK! And I love the creativity you put into your design. I would love to see you as Yara but I know where you're coming from with wanting something new and different.

I'm rethinking what I want to do from ASOIAF as I recently found out that a friend of mine wants to cosplay Ygritte from the show. She will do an amazing job and I don't want her to feel like I'm encroaching on her idea, so I'm trying to brainstorm about alternatives.

I was thinking about the sheer numbers of secondary female characters in ASOIAF and how, even though many of them stay lurking in the background, they play such integral parts in some of the political webwork; good examples are Chatalya's girls at the King's Landing brothel or Dany's handmaidens. I feel like there will be a plethora of "The Big Six" female mains (Sansa, Arya, Cersei, Cat, Dany, Melisandre) emerging as cosplays this year as GoT S2 gains popularity and the secondary characters don't seem to get as much love, so if you're like me and you wanna do something out of the mainstream and need suggestions, this list is for you.

So...ladies...for those of you who like the inconspicuous maiden who lurks in the shadows weaving webs of intrigue or the warrior heroine who maybe doesn't get "sexy times" but ultimately saves the day, here is a starter list of all the secondary females I could think of on the spot (feel free to add if I'm missing some good ones). Also...spelling...don't have the books in front of me @ the moment so forgive me if I misspell something:

This includes Book AND TV characters:

Asha/Yara (of course, she might need to move to the Big Six list)
Dany's girls: Doreah, Jhiqui, Irri, Missandei
King's Landing "Ladies of the Night": Chatalya, Alayaya, Marei, Dancy, Roz, Mhaegen
Mirri Maz Durr
Shae, Shae, Shae
Osha
Ygritte
Talyssa (aka the field surgeon from S2E4...could this be Jeyne Westerling???)
Margaery Tyrell
BRIENNE
Dacey Mormont
Maege Mormont
Jeyne Poole
Meera Reed
Arianne Martell
THE SAND SNAKES
Lysa Arryn
Lyanna Stark
Elia of Dorne
Olenna Redwyne
Chella
Gilly
Quiathe
Myrcella Baratheon
Generic Spearwives, Septas, Silent Sisters, or King's Landing prostitutes (all have been depicted in the TV show at this point, so you'd at least have references for base costumes)

Don't forget that even if they're not in the TV show yet, there's still the card/board games and artbooks for references and ideas.
Shae (A Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords)
Morrigan: Sacred Ashes Variant (Dragon Age:Origins)
Asa Shigure (Shuffle!: Really? Really!)
Smuggler (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun- Mark Twain
Draculina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draculina View Post

So...ladies...for those of you who like the inconspicuous maiden who lurks in the shadows weaving webs of intrigue or the warrior heroine who maybe doesn't get "sexy times" but ultimately saves the day, here is a starter list of all the secondary females I could think of on the spot:

Oh goodness, thank you very much for the comments on my Asha costume! Aaaaa that's really kind of you to say. c:

And this list is awesome! Some of these ladies are definitely overlooked. For instance, I TOTALLY forgot about the Mormonts! Do you think anyone would recognize a Dacey Mormont? B) Haha, maybe that would be a nice surprise for the "book" fans who are also fans of the show. I'll have to think on some of these suggestions, although I would truly prefer doing an outfit from the show, since my last one was pure speculation. It's always a fun challenge to see how "true to screen" one can make a costume, idk at least for me anyway. c:

Right now I've got two other costumes that take precedence (and that I need to get started on), but a new GoT outfit is a close third! I'll see how fast I can work and keep an eye on this thread!! <3
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Draculina
~ devine your destiny! ~

BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!

I think one of the Mormont ladies would be awesome, especially if you did Dacey...you could do the bear house sigil and get some badass axes (it seems like axes were her weapon of choice I think, right?). I want to say that the Mormonts were maybe in the background of the scene in which they declare Robb "King in the North" on the show? I'll have to go back and look...the other day, we were joking about how funny it would be to do [BOOK SPOILER ALERT] a zombified group of Stark supporters post-Red Wedding complete with a Lady Stoneheart, LOL...

I know where you're coming from, however, with wanting to try and pursue a TV costume as, of course, that's more likely to get recognition. The three newest characters I'm looking forward to seeing cosplayed at D*C the most are Brienne (my homegirl!), Margaery (love her kinky dress designs so far), and Shae. I LOVE to hate Shae...she's so complicated but so essential to the plot later...and Tyrion is def. my fave male character and all her messed-up involvement with him and his poor heart...ARGH! THE ANGST! Love it! If we had a really well-done Shae as well as some of the other King's Landing brothel girls, that would be so cool! And of course I mean fully-clothed...I think it would be easy to recreate those toga-gowns with some fabulous jewelry and ornate hair ;D
Shae (A Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords)
Morrigan: Sacred Ashes Variant (Dragon Age:Origins)
Asa Shigure (Shuffle!: Really? Really!)
Smuggler (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun- Mark Twain
Draculina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
DaniiChan
something clever.

I cosplayed Meera last year! =) Twas fun, but only a few book fans knew who I was... =( I should add the pics to my gallery though...

I love when the non-'main six' get cosplayed because they don't get enough love. I'm gonna do Ygritte in the future (I did a book-version when my hair was red.. but not the right red XD), but I don't really like her costume this season.... But I love Dany so much, with all her flaws and downfalls, and love cosplaying her that I can't give that up just cause there's toooonss of them... and I love her outfits! I would looove to have an Irri or Doreah to take pics with...

I know a few people going who are doing Brienne, Shae, and Margaery, so I'm excited to see the new costumes =) Ahh can't wait!!

Also, I've wanted to do a "Lady Stoneheart" for so loooong... haha

Last edited by DaniiChan : 05-14-2012 at 01:33 AM.
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
DaniiChan
something clever.

As the con is getting closer, I think we should decide on when to have the meetup? Which day/time? And do we want multiple meet-ups like last year?

I recently asked this on the FB group as well (http://www.facebook.com/groups/399029893457043/) but I'm sure there are people on here that don't have FB, so I figure we can all discuss it there, and then see what the people on FB say and then see what's best for all?
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
Katala

I think one of them couldn't be scheduled until we have the time for the panel or panels - then make one for after the panel and people going to the panel might want some pictures and how cool would it be to have half the room in costume. Plus I'm doing a wedding late sun night with cloak exchange if anyone wants to come - don't have all details but will be Ibm pern track room and have food cake and wine

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Katala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Katala

I am now working on a Ned Stark and a Tully cloak and the blue Cat cloak and redoing Cat.

And for commission making Melisande neck piece with shoulders and detachable in metal with acid etching and copper and bronze leaf and her belt. Then Dany shoulder metal pieces, better brooch, and ring.

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Katala

So far there looks to be for photoshoots and other sundries :
Big photoshoot Sunday noon (most have mentioned a cool indoor site, so hopefully the Sheraton has two places or the Hyatt has a place. But since some are doing a private shoot at 1pm starting in the Sheraton that would likely be the best place since it takes awhile to do the big shoot)
The parade on Saturday.
The media track panel is at 2:30: so some people wanted to get there early in which photos can be taken.
Other tracks that have ASOIAF don't have schedules posted yet.
The Stargate party is willing to take cheap professional photos with one to multiple people for the dcon charity - this is at 8pm to midnight so it'd be easy to find a time within those four hours to meetup an get photos taken.
The media track also has GOT hobo trivia Sunday at 8:30pm
Stark - Tully wedding in Pern track room at Sunday 10pm - prizes, free arbor gold wine, free refreshments, and of course cake.

Costumes:
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
A Grue

Bumping this to see if a finalized time has been decided on? I keep hearing Sunday at noon but I dont know if that's set in stone yet or not.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
Bubs
Cosplay n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grue View Post
Bumping this to see if a finalized time has been decided on? I keep hearing Sunday at noon but I dont know if that's set in stone yet or not.
Did you make another costume??
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #27
Katala

I posted times to the main photo list post - Sunday noon is big shoot but there are other gatherings like the parade and after the parade

Costumes:
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #28
Katala

These are all the meetups scheduled so far for Game of Thrones:
=FRIDAY 4PM – Hyatt international tower 22nd floor lounge
=PARADE =
=SATURDAY AFTER- PARADE NOON at Hilton 5th Floor (soda and water provided for parade GOT costumers)
=SATURDAY NIGHT 8 PM AFTER PANEL (Marriott A704 (M) AMSF)
=SATURDAY POST-PANEL 8:30-9:15 PM PHOTOS WITH BACKDROPS (Stargate Party) (Plaza Ballroom (W) MAIN – please note that the Stargate group is providing GoT themed backdrops for pictures at the cost of $5-10, which will be donated to charity for ALS illness. Note they will have these photos with GOT backgrounds from 8:30 to midnight.)
=SATURDAY NIGHT 9:30 PM ASOIAF/GoT THEMED WINE & BEER TASTING
This one is at capacity – but look forward to more interesting panels and tastings, etc for 2013.
=SUNDAY 11 AM – Meetup at Hilton Lobby and walk around Con and head off to Noon Shoot)
=SUNDAY NOON – Main Shoot (Sheraton Pool, if too crowded of too hot our backup in the 3rd floor landing at the top of the grand staircase outside of the grand ballroom)
=SUNDAY TRIVA 8 PM (Marriott A704 (M) AMSF)
=SUNDAY GOT/PERN WEDDING (Pern Room 10pm)

Costumes:
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #29
Soulflare

Flickr link below for my photos from the Saturday and Sunday GoT shoots. Disappointed that I missed most of the Saturday shoot because it started ahead of schedule, but oh well. Sucks that the Sunday bunch (I arrived just as y'all were marching on to the Hilton) got booted from the Sheraton pool/fountain area. What was the reason given by the hotel staff?

Dragon*Con 2012: Game of Thrones
Soulflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #30
DaniiChan
something clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflare View Post
Flickr link below for my photos from the Saturday and Sunday GoT shoots. Disappointed that I missed most of the Saturday shoot because it started ahead of schedule, but oh well. Sucks that the Sunday bunch (I arrived just as y'all were marching on to the Hilton) got booted from the Sheraton pool/fountain area. What was the reason given by the hotel staff?

Dragon*Con 2012: Game of Thrones
Amazing photos!!! So sad that I didn't get photographed by you, I love your work!!

I missed the shoot cause of the confusion.... Apparently they said you had to schedule a shoot ahead of time in that area? And I heard there was a shoot already going on at that time? We were doing a private shoot there later on and they booted us out too... :/