Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Akune-chan

So there is this giant knot...(Updated with new question!)

That just loves to reform itself in the middle of my Grell wig.

And no matter what I do, the top looks like this.

I have tried everything; the hairdryer method, the straightener method, the half water and half body lotion method and the hot water method. ; w ; My convention is in 30 somewhat days and I don't want to waste time to get a new one, if this wig is not save-able.

I would brush it with a wide tooth comb and then run my fingers through it, and it would tangle immediately.

Is there any way to save this wig?! D:
Thank you guys!

EDDITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:
So I finally was able to get off my lazy ass and use the Silicon spray that everyone has been raving about and I have to say I am AMAZED that it worked ; 3 ; However, there is a small issue.
The wig fibers look darker than usual and they retained the petroleum smell. :[ It even looks a bit...greasy if you will.
Is there any way to get rid of the smell and/or the greasy look? D:

Last edited by Akune-chan : 09-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Unread 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

The kno tlook like you made it yourself by not starting a the bottom and working you way up.

But start by getting slicone spray from a hardware/automotive store.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

Spray the crap out of the knot and start toi finger comb the thing breaking it into larger section and then work those sections. You will probably need 8 hours to so this and A LOT of patients. Do rush it, and go slowly.

Once the are is knot free then you reset the kinks with hot water. Never try to straighten a wig this is still tangled or knot as this makes the issue worse.

If it still looks like a frizzy mess then you only spent a day on this.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
The kno tlook like you made it yourself by not starting a the bottom and working you way up.

But start by getting slicone spray from a hardware/automotive store.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

Spray the crap out of the knot and start toi finger comb the thing breaking it into larger section and then work those sections. You will probably need 8 hours to so this and A LOT of patients. Do rush it, and go slowly.

Once the are is knot free then you reset the kinks with hot water. Never try to straighten a wig this is still tangled or knot as this makes the issue worse.

If it still looks like a frizzy mess then you only spent a day on this.

Do you know a specific brand that could work? D: I never saw the spray ; 3 ;

What happens if it still remains frizzy but not knotted? What should I do then?
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

after getting the knot out, the hot water should smooth out most of the frizz... my friend has saved our Grell's wig like that, and trust me... it was MUCH worse then this... (you still have some resemblance of hair, this was one big dreadlock...) just put a sh*t load of conditioner through the wig, poor the water on it and comb it out gently... people will tell you to 'never comb a wet wig' but I call bullish*t every time because we do that with all our long wigs after every use and we have yet to lose a long wig... it doesn't stretch the fibers, no more then normal combing does, and actually LESS because the brush glides through easier...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
after getting the knot out, the hot water should smooth out most of the frizz... my friend has saved our Grell's wig like that, and trust me... it was MUCH worse then this... (you still have some resemblance of hair, this was one big dreadlock...) just put a sh*t load of conditioner through the wig, poor the water on it and comb it out gently... people will tell you to 'never comb a wet wig' but I call bullish*t every time because we do that with all our long wigs after every use and we have yet to lose a long wig... it doesn't stretch the fibers, no more then normal combing does, and actually LESS because the brush glides through easier...
I tried the hot water method.
And the picture with my hand in it, happened.
Tried brushing a wet wig with a brush, TANGLED TO HELL.
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Soaking the wig overnight in water with a cup or so of liquid fabric softener might also help. Make sure you don't comb it when wet, though, or you'll just wind up with frizzier strands!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

Never brush a wig while wet! That's when the fibres are most vulnerable to tangles and such.

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)
☆ KEITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Akune-chan

Okay so I bought the Blaster Silicon spray from Home Depot and I managed to detangle the wig however it still looks like a giant fuzzy ball at the end where the knot was, however I see that a new problem arises as well as the giant fuzz ball of doom.

Every time I comb the wig from bottom to top, knots reform, especially when I reach the top and comb down. Is this supposed to happen? Is there any way to keep this from happening? Or I should just not even bother to comb it and untangle it from all the way to the top?

This is what the wig looks like now after I restyled it as best as I could and managed to get it in a braid.

As you can see, where its not braided, its rather poofy.
Is there anyway to relax the poof without running into the fear that hell, I might tangle it again, and without the need to spray the crap out of it with Silicon spray? I rather not get my room all Petroleum smelling again (it still has the lingering smell from yesterday). D:

Last edited by Akune-chan : 09-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
Completely agreeing with this. I condition my wigs in a mixture of water and fabric softener, and I always use a widetooth comb while the wig is wet. The fabric softener makes the wig slippery, so the comb glides through the tangles easily. Granted, I don't use a hairbrush, which could be how some people are running into frizzing issues; I only use a widetooth comb.
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime View Post
Completely agreeing with this. I condition my wigs in a mixture of water and fabric softener, and I always use a widetooth comb while the wig is wet. The fabric softener makes the wig slippery, so the comb glides through the tangles easily. Granted, I don't use a hairbrush, which could be how some people are running into frizzing issues; I only use a widetooth comb.
Maybe thats why...I usually use a brush so I can get the knots out. Thankfully though, the wig is all better and fixed.
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Akune-chan

Help?
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

If you wig still knottign up ythat mean their still more smaller nots to get out.

As I said take smaller section in this case I got as a small as 1" widths. This is the point where I detangle each section and straighten as I go with a straightening iron to get the kinks out with my heat resistant wigs.

The smell of the silicone spray will dissipate but you can wash it to remove most of that. I just leave it out untied and out to ventilate for 4 days on it's own.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote