Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Finalformsora02

Tron legacy sora costume suggesions?

Okay this is my first time starting a thread, so here it goes.

I'm making my first full costume. I've made quite a few keyblades which i have on deviantart(star seeker, hidden dragon, sleeping lion, hero's crest, oathkeeper, bond of flame, way to dawn). I want to make the tron legacy costume for sora. I already started making the helmet from wood because i fail at making models from anything else. The armor will also be made from wood, and maybe eventually use it as a mold for plastic or something lighter.

I'm going to need a clear sheet for the faceshield on the helmet. I was thinking of abs or petg. Anyone have experience with them? How thick is sturdy enough? I have a heat gun to somewhat form it.

Next is the clothing. The pants seem to float as if magnetized by the belt. I was thinking of using spray starch or some other fabric stiffener to make them bulge out, and then use cleverly hidden snap buttons to attach them to whatever i wear underneath. Any suggestions?

El tape/panel/wire will be used for the lighting. I figure i'll need around 10 or 12 battery packs for all of it. One for the helmet, each glove, each shoe, identity disc, each shoulder armor, each pant leg, giant x on the front, and belts. I have a way to hide them if i can get them to work. Any help in this area regarding creating custom designs with the tape, or smaller, cheaper inverters would be awesome.

I'd say this project should be done within a year at least if it runs smoothly. After all the helmet is almost done and its only been a week. Thanks to anyone who responds!
Finalformsora02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalformsora02 View Post
Okay this is my first time starting a thread, so here it goes.

I'm making my first full costume. I've made quite a few keyblades which i have on deviantart(star seeker, hidden dragon, sleeping lion, hero's crest, oathkeeper, bond of flame, way to dawn). I want to make the tron legacy costume for sora. I already started making the helmet from wood because i fail at making models from anything else. The armor will also be made from wood, and maybe eventually use it as a mold for plastic or something lighter.

I'm going to need a clear sheet for the faceshield on the helmet. I was thinking of abs or petg. Anyone have experience with them? How thick is sturdy enough? I have a heat gun to somewhat form it.

Next is the clothing. The pants seem to float as if magnetized by the belt. I was thinking of using spray starch or some other fabric stiffener to make them bulge out, and then use cleverly hidden snap buttons to attach them to whatever i wear underneath. Any suggestions?

El tape/panel/wire will be used for the lighting. I figure i'll need around 10 or 12 battery packs for all of it. One for the helmet, each glove, each shoe, identity disc, each shoulder armor, each pant leg, giant x on the front, and belts. I have a way to hide them if i can get them to work. Any help in this area regarding creating custom designs with the tape, or smaller, cheaper inverters would be awesome.

I'd say this project should be done within a year at least if it runs smoothly. After all the helmet is almost done and its only been a week. Thanks to anyone who responds!
Do not use el wire, stick to the tape. Also you can cut down on battery packs if you just bridge the glove, shoe, helmet and any other such gaps with a wire and then restart the el tape. 10 to 12 battery packs you are going to be emitting the loudest most annoying high pitched squeal that you will chase off everyone under 23 years of age :P
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Finalformsora02

Ah, thanks! I was only going to use the wire for this thin part on the helmet above the faceshield, but i'll keep it in mind. I had no idea el tape would make so much noise. My ears are already so bad from power tools i wouldnt be ale to hear it lol.
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
hack_benjamin22

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legac.../index208.html

I highly recommend checking out this thread on the Replica Prop Forum. The people here are amazingly helpful and the thread has been around since trailers for Tron: Legacy came out.

The people there have made costumes with all kinds of lighting methods. And if you do decide to use EL tape or wire there are lots f helpful tips on how to do the wiring and connections. Personally, I like LEDs, which are brighter and more power efficient that EL wire or tape...plus they do not need a loud inverter.

Just out of curiosity have you priced everything you'll need for the costume? Lighting can be very expensive, I know I had a bit of a nasty surprise when I bought everything I needed for my Quorra costume.
hack_benjamin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Finalformsora02

Thanks i'll check it out.

I havent quite priced everything, but the armor i make will be cheap and pretty much everything except for the el stuff and faceshield is priced.