Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Exclamation I Want to Cosplay a Lolita

Hello! I recently got into Lolita and all the cute costumes and the style and I can't stop looking at wigs, dresses, and other Lolita clothing. So basically, I'm fangirling.
I want to be a smart shopper for this and there's such a variety or wigs and dresses for Lolita and some of the products may be cheap since there's a lot of it. Does that make sense?
So does anyone have any places or suggestions where to shop for wigs, dresses, stockings and shoes. I know that's a lot to ask for.
I can never find the right shoes. NEVER! There either too gothic looking or too much is going on. And I've never shopped for Lolita shoes before and I have no idea if they're durable or if the buyer is reliable.

Oh and dresses with either puffy sleeves or long sleeves are fine, just not any straps.
Please help and other tips would be nice.

Last edited by XxMai-chanxX : 09-13-2012 at 02:12 AM.
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

First of all, Lolita is a style of fashion, not a costume.

Second, this quick handbook may be of help for you: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=96212

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I put if as a costume? Really? Oh, I'm well aware that it's a fashion because there's a whole bunch of Lolita, not just one thing. And thank you so much!
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Serial_lover

?

did you mean you wanted to make a cosplay into a lolita? Sorry i'm confused.

If you're looking for a good place to buy lolita clothing and shoes please keep in mind that lolita isn't cheap. If you're buying offbrand you are still looking at 50 bucks a dress unless you find something used. Just don't get your heart broken by prices :/ Bodyline is a great starter for lolita, its considered the walmart of lolita. The pieces they sell are good quality and their shoes are worth looking at. Also the EGL Comm Sales on livejournal are a good place to start. Be aware though that replica's are now illegal so if you want a certain print it won't be available in replica form. Also facebook has a page called lolita sales in english. There you can post wtb for just about anything.

i really hope that this helps in some way, also i would suggest mintymix.com for wigs, they are a good price and very comfy to wear. Just beware of Milannoo or shops that sell lolita as cosplay. These sites are generally very cheaply made and not worth your money.

Serial_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I'm sorry. I'm just learning the terminology and everything, so I apologize if I'm unclear. I just recently got into the fashion. I mean, I don't dress like a Lolita but I just fell in love with all the different clothing and all the different styles and I want to try dressing like one. Although, I haven't tried on anything yet, I feel most comfortable aiming towards the Kodona style because I rarely wear dresses anyway. And thank you for all the other tips! I'll look for them! And I have a question. Is lolitashow.com a good store to shop or no?
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
lolita*neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMai-chanxX View Post
I'm sorry. I'm just learning the terminology and everything, so I apologize if I'm unclear. I just recently got into the fashion. I mean, I don't dress like a Lolita but I just fell in love with all the different clothing and all the different styles and I want to try dressing like one. Although, I haven't tried on anything yet, I feel most comfortable aiming towards the Kodona style because I rarely wear dresses anyway. And thank you for all the other tips! I'll look for them! And I have a question. Is lolitashow.com a good store to shop or no?
Google is your best friend. This was the first result when searching for reviews on that website: http://egl.livejournal.com/16692376.html

Any shop that uses stolen pictures is a place you should stay away from, by the way!

I'm not busy right now so I'll help you out a bit. As a tip, please never use the words 'costume' and 'lolita' interchangeably. It is rude to us lolitas as our style is a legit clothing style. And to be honest you don't need a wig to wear lolita - I know a lot of newbies think this but it is not a requirement! I've been wearing lolita for... years xD I have never bought a wig for lolita and don't plan to any time soon.

Compared to lolita there aren't that many shops that feature just kodona stuff, but I do know fanplusfriend does some pieces, and last time I checked bodyline had one or two things. Alice and the Pirates, Moi Meme Moitie, Black Peace Now and Atelier Boz are major brands that come on the top of my head that regularly have kodona/boystyle and there are some shops from taobao (its like a ultra cheap Chinese version of ebay - you need a shopping service to order there) like Infanta and R-series that might be up your alley.

Oh, and kodona/boystyle wise you may have pretty good luck in stores finding blouses, jackets, vests and accessories to finish up your looks. Its all in how you style it.

You asked about shoes earlier. Shoe wise, well that depends on the style your going for. For classic and gothic looks you can get away with shopping in your local shoe store for the most part if your on a budget. For sweet I would suggest either shopping brand websites (like btssb, Meta, and Angelic Pretty) or bodyline (I can personally say that I do find their shoes comfortable!) Sizing can be a bit odd from bodyline however so I suggest doing a search on reviews and deciding what's best for you.

For your reading pleasure: http://www.lolitafashion.org/ is a great place to start.
lolita*neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I'm sorry if I used the the word costume and cosplay and connecting it with Lolita. I'm fairly new to the fashion and I had no idea about the terminology or the different styles, but I do know. So please forgive me for my ignorance.

And thank you so much for taking your time to help me; I really appreciate it!
Anyway, is their any other info addition about the Kodona style that I should be aware of?
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
flandar

If you want to start out cheap try bodyline or qutieland. Both have decent quality, but not what you'd pay for a 300 Mary Magdelene dress, for example. It's good for starters but neither really focus on kodona. Still, I'd suggest paying attention to qutieland.

I suggest starting out with off brand items so you know if this fashion is for you. If it is for you, check out some of the more popular and well known brands like Moi Meme Moitie, Alice and the Pirates, etc. Good luck.
flandar is offline   Reply With Quote