Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Makeup/Eye Contacts Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Review: Kryolan Aquacolor

I hadn't seen any reviews for Aquacolor in this section, so thought I'd add my $.02.

Name of Product: Kryolan Aquacolor makeup
Where Purchased: http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?s=IQ9R
Product Description: Aquacolor is a water-activated cake makeup

I've used Aquacolor in a few different applications to date. I've used their "TV White" color on my face for my various Harley Quinn cosplays, as seen here: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3286774/

I also used color 482 to paint my face, ears, neck, and arms for The Architect from Dragon Age:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/408677/
(additional photos to come)

I used a plain old makeup brush to apply it, this one actually. Details and shading were added using Mehron Paradise makeup. (No real reason for the brand difference except that a local shop sells the small Mehron cups, so I could see the shades in person).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I put the Architect costume through the wringer, walking in the Dragon*Con parade and subjecting it to the Atlanta late summer heat (sweatiness!) for about 5 hours. It did start to fade and crack by the end, but if I'd been at an indoor con or only outside for a brief time, I think it would have held up just fine.

I did use a fixer spray for both costumes: Kryolan's Fixer Spray. It really did seem to help, as the spots I'd really coated well with the spray held up much better than the ones I gave a sparse spritzing.

I do like that it's easy to apply without visible streaks, if you use the right brush and once you get used to the right water-to-makeup ratio. Any streakiness can be easily blended with a damp brush before sealing as well.

Transfer: There was some transfer to my costume, particularly in places that rubbed excessively (the neck, on the parts of the costume I kept touching with my hands). Because I kept adjusting parts of my costume due to the way the skirt draped, it did come off my hands as well. With the fixer spray, it didn't rub off on anyone else I came into brief casual contact with.

Pros: Easy to apply without needing specialized equipment like an airbrush, easy to remove with just a little soap and water.

Cons: It will fade with wear, and sweat seems to quicken that process. Can rub off if not careful.

Overall Rating: 0-10 (0 is poor, 10 is excellent) I'd give it an 8 for short-term wear or on smaller areas like face-only, maybe a 6 as a body paint.

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 11-30-2012 at 02:37 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote