Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
ShinigamiYuro

Unhappy Advise please!

First off I do not know my exact weight, I cannot/do not cook for myself, I have very little money, and am a college student taking five classes (so almost no free time). Though Iím willing to change what I can, these are things I donít have a lot of power over due to living circumstances.

I take a swimming class at my college twice a week, and try to do at least 300 sit ups every night normally around 2-4am. I occasionally get to 600, my record is 930 but itís hard to do that many since Iím often exhausted from school. Iím going to try to study martial arts at home but once again time and energy is a constant issue and the fact my house-mates arenít nocturnal doesnít help.

Iíve managed to go from a size 18 to a size 12 already, but it took almost two years so Iím hoping for advise and tips on speeding this up. My goal is to reach a size 6 (american sizing) hopefully by this time next year.

Any dieting, exercising (especially if it has to do with martial arts), and scheduling advise is appreciated. I really donít know anything about these kind of things and everything I read seems to contradict each other.
ShinigamiYuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Candyoverlord
Cosplay Green Belt

First off get it out of your mind that you don't have enough free time, cause you do. I work full time and I go to school full time and I have plenty of time to exercise. You just have to make the time.

Just make exercise part of whatever you're already doing.
Walk/bike to school. If your school is too far drive, but park a mile or two away so you have to walk.
Choose water instead of soda or juice.
Eat a carrot instead of a cookie.
Do your homework on a tread mill.
Get up earlier to exercise.
get enough sleep.
Cut down on the carbs.
Eat steamed broccoli instead of fries.
Take healthy snacks to school.

Lots of options, and they're not that hard to fit into a schedule.
Candyoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Arti

Ah, the things that you "read seems to contradict each other" is the idea that they're selling you the notion that this type of exercise works. Before you go out and experiment with different types of workouts (so you can find one that suits your lifestyle), you should think if this workout is philosophically effective. A good workout should be able to:

- Create enough stress such that the body would have to adapt to the stress when recovering
- Use simple, compound movements that works multiple muscle groups
- Easily perform the same exercise at the same or better level of intensity, allowing recordable progress.
- Be simple.

If your college/university has a gym, I would take full advantage of it and their free weights. Of course, I'm heavily favored of weight training as the most effective time in the gym. To be honest, even though I go to the gym 2-3 times a day, I only spend half an hour in the weight room.

Also, you haven't mentioned your eating habits, but the way you mentioned that you're "exhausted" from a simple thing as "school" tells me that your diet isn't the best relative to the amount of exercise you're doing, especially sit-ups.

A good book that would for sure give you a different but clearer eye on strength training (and none of the infomercial bullshit) is Starting Strength.

P.S, I would never do homework on a treadmill.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
MetalArtisan

I would second and then third the biking thing. When you make biking your default mode of commuting, you end up getting a lot of exercise without having to set aside time in your day for it.
Studying martial arts at home is going to be of very limited value, especially given your time budget. You really need a coach and training partners in order to practice effectively and troubleshoot technique.
I would highly recommend trying to find a muay thai club if you're university has one. Muay Thai gets you in shape reaaaaal quick.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Try to move less by car and more by walking, and while you're walking move your arms too.

About the dieting, just drink plenty of water, not too much cause it can kill you, maybe 4 bottles per day, which is similar to 8 cups, but not all of them together or it can ruin your health.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
2-4am
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/c...d-those-pounds
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
MetalArtisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
Try to move less by car and more by walking, and while you're walking move your arms too.

About the dieting, just drink plenty of water, not too much cause it can kill you, maybe 4 bottles per day, which is similar to 8 cups, but not all of them together or it can ruin your health.
I think you might be overestimating the ease of water poisoning. I knew guys who would drink 1-2 gallons a day while cutting their sodium intake (it's a weight cutting thing) with no ill affects. Over-hydrating is technically possible, but practically impossible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
You pretty much have to be doing MDMA or running a marathon to be at risk.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalArtisan View Post
I think you might be overestimating the ease of water poisoning. I knew guys who would drink 1-2 gallons a day while cutting their sodium intake (it's a weight cutting thing) with no ill affects. Over-hydrating is technically possible, but practically impossible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
You pretty much have to be doing MDMA or running a marathon to be at risk.
But how often do they drink it on each day? Of course it may be similar to drink the 4 cups of water with some flavored juices around the day, which doesn't really represent any risk for your health.

The problem is when you drink that quantity of water desperately in two minutes or in any very short time, and it's even more riskful if you don't eliminate it by urinating, cause the idea behind drinking water for weightloss is losing toxines, 8 cups is the recommended dose, which doesn't mean that you can't drink more than that per day, but you must do it gently or your body won't retain that much water.

Of course just as any other psysical variation it depends on the person, every person has a different hydratation need.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote