Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 09-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Sewing Machine Repairs in Toronto?

So, as someone who hasn't lived in Toronto very long, I'm in need of a bit of help. I've got a 52-year-old Bernina sewing machine that I love to death but is in bad need of repairs. (I'm pretty sure the motor burned out - long story.) I'm hoping someone could help me find a reputable repair place that works/specializes in vintage machines? I really have no idea where to start looking for someone.

I did have a great repair shop back in my hometown but the gentleman who ran it has retired. I'm a bit desperate, as I've got a convention coming up and a half-finished fall coat that I need to get done before it gets too cold.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Apologies, mods, if this is considered off topic!)

Unread 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

I know Sears can fix sewing machines. When I took mine in they actually ended up referring us to another place that could fix it faster and cheaper.
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Uta Arashino
Owner of Olivia's Atelier

If you're looking downtown, a bunch of the fabric shops on Queen St also do repairs. Affordable Textile's second store I know does for sure, and I believe World Sew does as well. There's a couple more, but I don't know the names of the stores because they're fairly small and carry more buttons and notions (and thus I don't go in there very often).
Uta Arashino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Could you let us know where you end up going and how it went? I have a vintage Singer which needs a tune-up myself, but since it's not urgent I keep putting off looking into it. Repairs to my couple-years-old Janome are taking priority... and I still don't know whether I'm better off taking it in to the Husqvarna shop in my neighbourhood or finding a Janome dealer.
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Last time I got my machine serviced I took it to the authorized Janome place out by Victoria Park and Danforth, they were fine.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Thank you so much, everyone, for the help!

I ended up taking it to the guy at Affordable Textiles. It doesn't sound like he does the conventional tune-up, but his repairs were quick. I brought it to him yesterday and he's told me to pick it up today. I'll post about the work once I've gotten it back.

I'll probably try the Janome place next time I need to have the machine serviced, and chat with them about repairs while I'm there.

Thank you again!