Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Tarah-Rex

Lilith - Borderlands

Hey!

This shoot was a first both for me and the photographer. This was my first Cosplay, and she has never done a shoot of this nature before, so we were winging it. I am personally extremely happy with how it turned out, but I just thought I'd get some tips for future Cosplay shoots she and I will be doing together. Let me know what you think of them

Tarah-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

The second is my favorite; there's emotion and drama, it's framed well, exposed well, and appropriately processed. Well done.

The third one is pretty good too. Good use of ambient light and available background, appropriately processed. I would have liked to see a slightly looser shot, full-length so we can see the full costume.

Also, I think the third one could have benefited from a slightly shallower depth of field, to separate the subject from the background. Looking at the EXIF (camera settings embedded in the photo), it looks like the photographer had one stop to wiggle in the ISO (200 down to 100), and if not using a flash, plenty of room to increase the shutter speed to allow for the wider aperture. If using the same lens as was used in #3, you've got at least two full stops of aperture to play with - open it up just a little bit and make the subject pop off the background. Gotta make sure to nail the focus when you do this, though.

The first one doesn't do anything for me; it's a good experiment that didn't work. The crop is too tight, the up-the-nose angle isn't very flattering, and it's a little too hot from the direct sun.

The fourth one doesn't quite work either. It's just too much of "I'm going to pretend I'm riding this ATV." If you were actually riding, some motion blur would have helped (slow shutter speed, and pan the camera to track - this is very hard for an inexperienced photographer, it's a whole separate skill); otherwise, a tighter crop on a more dramatic pose (gun out, angry/yelling facial expression, etc) so that the static background doesn't draw attention away from the subject.

Overall, I think they're pretty darn good for a first shoot. Kudos to both of you.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 09-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
natsuo
Wonderflexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
The second is my favorite; there's emotion and drama, it's framed well, exposed well, and appropriately processed. Well done.

The third one is pretty good too. Good use of ambient light and available background, appropriately processed. I would have liked to see a slightly looser shot, full-length so we can see the full costume.

Also, I think the third one could have benefited from a slightly shallower depth of field, to separate the subject from the background. Looking at the EXIF (camera settings embedded in the photo), it looks like the photographer had one stop to wiggle in the ISO (200 down to 100), and if not using a flash, plenty of room to increase the shutter speed to allow for the wider aperture. If using the same lens as was used in #3, you've got at least two full stops of aperture to play with - open it up just a little bit and make the subject pop off the background. Gotta make sure to nail the focus when you do this, though.

The first one doesn't do anything for me; it's a good experiment that didn't work. The crop is too tight, the up-the-nose angle isn't very flattering, and it's a little too hot from the direct sun.

The fourth one doesn't quite work either. It's just too much of "I'm going to pretend I'm riding this ATV." If you were actually riding, some motion blur would have helped (slow shutter speed, and pan the camera to track - this is very hard for an inexperienced photographer, it's a whole separate skill); otherwise, a tighter crop on a more dramatic pose (gun out, angry/yelling facial expression, etc) so that the static background doesn't draw attention away from the subject.

Overall, I think they're pretty darn good for a first shoot. Kudos to both of you.
You just took all of the words right out of my mouth!

Like me on facebook!
www.facebook.com/natsuocosplay

Check me out on worldcosplay!
http://worldcosplay.net/member/51186/

Matsuricon 2013 costume plans:
Rika - Digimon Tamers
Blackrose - .hack
Popola - Nier

Ohayocon 2014 costume plans:
Mary - .hack//Quantum
Sasha - Attack on Titan
Kaine - Nier
natsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
LupinTheBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarah-Rex View Post
Hey!

This shoot was a first both for me and the photographer. This was my first Cosplay, and she has never done a shoot of this nature before, so we were winging it. I am personally extremely happy with how it turned out, but I just thought I'd get some tips for future Cosplay shoots she and I will be doing together. Let me know what you think of them
Okay, so you kind-of want critique? I love your cosplay, but the best way you guys can get better is if I'm completely up front about the photography, so I will be :P.

In the first image, you look powerful, but the lighting is REALLY really off... It looks like she either spent a tiny bit too much time processing the image in photoshop, or she has her Adaptive Dynamic Range (or whatever it's called on her camera) set to either auto or high), which makes a more stressed HDR-y type look which I don't feel fits Borderlands, at least IMO (the quasi halos around your head take me out of my imagining that you're actually Lilith set free from the bonds of my pc).

In this image, you're doing a great job, she just needs to work on a tiny bit less Post Processing, either in camera, or in PS imo.

If I had to add something else, sometimes it's awkward looking up someone's nose, so that's occasionally something to think about, although it's not as bad here since you look so badass :P.

The hill/building/or whatnot behind you is at least a little distracting to me... but I can understand you probably didn't have anywhere else to go without something in the background, so it's all good.

For the second image, you look really cool (obviously), and the image is less obviously processed, which is always nice, but I just can't get around the fact of that super bright plank of wood just in front of you, which is honestly the only thing distracting me from your badass look in that image, even the tires don't really stick out that much... those FIT in a borderlands shoot imo.

I'd recommend her to crop tighter in camera next time, and try to simplify her images, as much as she can, to the bare essentials.

Three: you look awesome. Great emotion, good capture, now I can understand for a quasi-ish borderlands look you would think a ladder *might* fit into the theme, but it's really just killing me in this image here, you look amazing, seriously, bad ass, game authentic pose, but the ladder keeps dragging my attention away from your badassness, which is usually not ideal :P.

So for this image, I'd recommend you guys to remove the ladder, if possible, and for her straight up photography technique, I'd ask her to consider using an off camera flash, as it would perfectly fill up the shadows on your face, and look even more badass, like we're used to seeing Lilith in the game (lighting wise).
(For a beginner, she's definitely doing well though :P)

Quatro: You look awesome. I really can't say it enough, you've done a great job getting into character, which is always a plus :P. as for the image quality, it really bothers me that the rear right wheel of the ATV is cut off, I mean it feels like BL, but that and the rack being cut off, really distract me, and in a bleh way, ya know?

I feel like the rest of the image is decent, you can expect random debris in BL, so the rusted device on the right fits, I just feel if she wanted to cut off *any* of the ATV, she might as well have done a radical crop, and gotten rid of most of it to begin with.

Imagine it, say, from the yamaha (logo) on up, and ending just above your hair, for example. While encompassing you, to just in front of your hand.

I feel that *that* could have been a much stronger image, but once again, this is all about learning, and you both did a good job for not being greatly experienced in this.

I hope that helps/was what you were looking for, and was not too harsh in my honesty >.>.

And seriously bro, if you're ever in Illinois you MUST BRING THAT COSPLAY! lol. (at the very least, for a terribly boring photoshoot, if not just to make everyone in a five mile radius super jelly, after seeing how badass it looks ).

Last edited by LupinTheBored : 10-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.
LupinTheBored is offline   Reply With Quote