Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
eebee

Covering a Tattoo?

So, I'm in the planning phase with my next batch of costumes, and a possible problem has just occurred to me. I'm planning out Carmelita Fox, which should be a pretty easy costume: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5...ly_3_large.jpg.

However, I have a tattoo on the right side of my ribcage, placed perfectly to half-show past her top. I could just run with it and hope the jacket conceals it mostly, but I'd prefer to try to cover it up if anyone had a bright idea on that count. It's small, no bigger than my palm, so normally I'd just go for makeup, but unfortunately it looks like it's going to be crossed by the lower hem of the top, and that rubbing would probably ruin any makeup and just get my cosplay covered in it. =) Do you guys have any other ideas for how I could cover it up? Or should I just leave it alone and let Carmelita have half a pawprint tattoo?

Chosen, In Planning:
Red (with Subject Unknown), Tempus, Azir (with sand soldier[s])

Under Construction:
Ravager
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
cosplay_luvur

There are several methods of covering up tattoos, but there is a common one. Buy several different shades of concealer, a concealer that is lighter than your skin and darker etc. buy a powder, use a brush to blend it. I personally have never done it myself, but I will link a few sites that may be able to help.

Website 1
Website 2
Website 3

Other tips is too try different methods and brands of concealer and see which one works the best for you, on top of that like all make up you will probably have to go in every couple hours and reapply some concealer, its a routine thing to do. I wish you luck! If make-up sn't your style, there are Tatoo "Cover ups" they make.
cosplay_luvur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

kat von d sells tattoo cover up at sephora....
http://www.sephora.com/tattoo-concea...b2dsZS5jb20%3d
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
eebee

Yeah, I know plenty of makeup-based ways to cover a tattoo. Unfortunately, with such a tight top in such a mobile area, if I use concealer or something similar, my shirt is going to get covered in it. =/ I was hoping someone knew of a method that didn't involve makeup which could easily rub off onto my clothes - maybe some kind of makeup that seals or some kind of patch or something.

Chosen, In Planning:

Under Construction:
Ravager
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

unless u use like pax or somethng makeup will always run.... and a patch of latex there, even expertly blended will look really fake...... id prob put on ur shirt, have some use the cover up on the tattoo and then use a sealing agent to make sure it wont come off quickly. because the shirt is already on it shouldnt rub too much
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
BeardedPirate

Here are two pretty good tattoo cover up options:

Ink Armor - lots of colors and styles: http://www.tat2x.com/

TatSkin - tape only comes in suntan though: http://www.tat2x.com/tattoo-cover-up-tat-skin.html
BeardedPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Noose

Its a pawprint tattoo?? Honestly, that goes with the anthropomorphic character theme of Sly games. If there is no feasible way to cover it up, its not like it wouldn't fit the theme of the character at all.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
eebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedPirate View Post
Here are two pretty good tattoo cover up options:

Ink Armor - lots of colors and styles: http://www.tat2x.com/

TatSkin - tape only comes in suntan though: http://www.tat2x.com/tattoo-cover-up-tat-skin.html
Thanks! The Tat skin looks basically like what I was hoping for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noose View Post
Its a pawprint tattoo?? Honestly, that goes with the anthropomorphic character theme of Sly games. If there is no feasible way to cover it up, its not like it wouldn't fit the theme of the character at all.
Haha, yeah, it's a pawprint, which does make me not too worried about covering it. I'm only hesitant about leaving it alone because it looks like it'll only half show, and I'm not sure how recognizable as a pawprint it'll be if the top is cut off.

Chosen, In Planning:

Under Construction:
Ravager
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

If the tat skin doesn't Marx ur color tho ull have to put paint on it anyways....
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Esmenet
Time to change, Changer

Check out Pixowoo's video on concealing tattoos. The key is to pick complementary colors to erase pigments on the skin. If your tattoo is red, use a green concealer first to pull out those warm tones, and then a "skin tone" concealer over that, and powder to seal it in. I believe Kat Von D has a tattoo concealer that you can buy at Sephora, but it's probably a lot more expensive than buying a concealer wheel and matching colors.

Work in Progress:
Rei (genderbend)-Free! [90%]
Momoi Satsuki-KnB [100%]
Nora Valkyrie-RWBY [60%]

Upcoming Cons:
Anime North
Colossalcon
Anime Expo
Gen Con
Dragon*Con
Youmacon
Esmenet is offline   Reply With Quote