Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #136
Kawaiichibiz

I was literally thinking about this earlier today! This advice will come in handy if I ever want to wink for a photo.
Rock Lee (Naruto)
Feferi (Homestuck)
Kagura (Gintama)
Finn (Adventure Time)
Tumblr
Deviantart
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #137
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I know this maybe is kinda random but I noticed it feels more natural for me to wink with my left eye, right eye just feels... weird, forced. I don't know how to explain, sorry if it makes no sense.
One character I'll be cosplaying in a close future I want to do some winking shots with because it kinda fits his character.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #138
evelynlove
Banned

Hi, good day!
How do you hope you're well? My name is Evelyn, I saw your profile today and became very interested in you. I want you to send me messege in my personal e-mail (evelyn.kabashi1@yahoo.com), so that you can communicate and know each other better. Remember the color of the tribal age and distance does not matter in true friendship, but the important thing is the love of truth and understanding of each other. I'll tell you more about myself in my next letter also give you my picture. Please be sure to contact me at my private email (evelyn.kabashi1@yahoo.com)
your problems
Evelyn.
evelynlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #139
animazn

So I'm crossplaying Black Star from Soul Eater. I know he's crazy and all but how do I portray that in a photo? I need to be more masculine cause I'm not at all xD Any tips?
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #140
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by animazn View Post
So I'm crossplaying Black Star from Soul Eater. I know he's crazy and all but how do I portray that in a photo? I need to be more masculine cause I'm not at all xD Any tips?
I'm not familiar with the character or the show, but here goes:

If the photographer can control the lighting (e.g. flashes and/or reflectors), have the main light coming from underneath your face. The "usual" way is to light from above and slightly to the side, so light coming from directly below the face will give an unsettling look to the portrait. Crazy, demonic, ghoulish, creepy - call it what you will.

Raise your head and look down your nose at the camera. Open your eyes very wide so that the whites of your eyes are very pronounced above the irises. This will definitely give you a "crazy" appearance.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #141
animazn

That would work for a actual crazy photo thanks! But I was mainly talking about his personality. He's more spontaneous and funny. He's a ninja too. Oh and my friend who is his partner(weapon and meister, not romantic) is shorter than me. Her character is suppose to be tall and mine is more short. So any tips on that?

http://static.minitokyo.net/downloads/38/13/420688.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ansforming.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PsQWwMak3Q...640/400546.jpg
(I'm the guy with the blue hair, she's the one with the black hair)

Does that help any with helping me? Woah that sounded weird. Its a great anime/manga you should watch it!
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #142
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by animazn View Post
That would work for a actual crazy photo thanks! But I was mainly talking about his personality. He's more spontaneous and funny. He's a ninja too. Oh and my friend who is his partner(weapon and meister, not romantic) is shorter than me. Her character is suppose to be tall and mine is more short. So any tips on that?

http://static.minitokyo.net/downloads/38/13/420688.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ansforming.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PsQWwMak3Q...640/400546.jpg
(I'm the guy with the blue hair, she's the one with the black hair)

Does that help any with helping me? Woah that sounded weird. Its a great anime/manga you should watch it!
This thread is primarily for photographers to get advice from other photographers on how to do photography stuff. I mean, you're photographer should be the one in here asking questions on how to make the shoot work because you're not going to be the one in control of the camera. That being said, if you were the photographer, I'd tell you to shoot low angles and have you in a crouched action type pose low to the ground, and have her stand straight up directly behind you. It would be best to use a wide angle lens for this low angle because it will exaggerate her height, making her look taller.

Another type of shooting would be to use different objects for here to stand on. Steps are a good example of this because it doesn't look like you're intentionally making her stand on something to increase her height. Don't use like a chair or a box. The photographer should also aim to do some shots where you're seated, like an a ledge, with her positioned behind you. You should also do a shot where she has you in a headlock giving you a noogy(sp). This doesn't fit her character, but it's a fun picture that emphasizes that fact that your character is a bit of a shrimp, at least in terms of size, not heart.

All of these examples will take care of the height difference and should make it a non issue. As long as you don't pose in your pictures like you're about to fall asleep, then you shouldn't have any problems with your own personality. Most of the time blackstar is rambunctious and generally aggressive when it comes to battle, so your action/fighting based poses should show you yelling, like an angry roar. Use this picture as an example. Blackstar is also a bit full of himself, so you can do a thumbs up with a wink and a slanted grin for a more fun type of picture.

Again, everything I said here should be researched and known by whatever photographer you decide to go with, but having some information yourself never hurts.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #143
Volphiedfan

I am looking to make a costume of Kane Blueriver or Dark Star (human form) from Lost Universe
Volphiedfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #144
claudillama

What i really need to find a tutorial of is how to manipulate a photo. heres an example of what im talking about http://browse.deviantart.com/#/d2wr2ws

It also shows you the original work! I can never seem to find a perfect tutorial on how photo manipulation is done. THis is something I would really like to do to my photos! any help will be great
claudillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #145
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I could really use information about how to take nice pictures with a 'Bad' camera.

I have a little VuPoint 5 MP camera. I only use it to take random pictures at cons and pictures of my own cosplay. So I am not going to be buying another one as it would not be worth it to do so.
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #146
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Hey animazn. It sounds like what you're looking for is advice on modeling or advice for the photographer on directing?

If you're looking to imitate (or "draw from") the character in various scenes or poses you've seen, one way is to do exactly what you just did by posting those pictures and referring to his "craziness." You can reference these photos and just imitate them. It's a little difficult because it's an animation (it would be impressive if you could enlarge your mouth to half the size of your head like Vash when he's shouting), so you might also want to pull up previous cosplayers who've done that character and draw from that. Really analyze the reference photos for a few minutes. Is one side of the smile smirking? Is the head tilted a certain way all the time? In your photos it looks like the character is always gritting his teeth with one side of the lips pulled back. His head is also always hunched down into his chest/shoulders. That's what jumps out at me the most when I first looked at the images. You can experiment and maybe work with some photographers or even dancers who can help you imitate the body language.

And finally, his eyes. He's always in "action mode" to me. That's the sort of thing that you kind of have to bring from the inside out and just "get into character." It's why good actors are considered good actors, when they can pull that kind of stuff out on command. But for you, just letting it all out and having fun with it should help. You look very natural in your profile pic. Having fun candidly with friends and photogs you're comfortable with can help you get what you're after.

Hope that helps.

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos") Contact for photoshoot bookings!
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #147
godessofanime

I haven't read the entire form yet, but I'm looking for any advice on where to start learning basic photography. I got a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS and I don't have money to take any classes yet and it's hard for me to sort out good tutorials. Was wondering if anyone knew of a site that has it's own online free curriculum that might help me understand cameras and photos better? Or just recommendations.
godessofanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #148
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godessofanime View Post
I haven't read the entire form yet, but I'm looking for any advice on where to start learning basic photography. I got a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS and I don't have money to take any classes yet and it's hard for me to sort out good tutorials. Was wondering if anyone knew of a site that has it's own online free curriculum that might help me understand cameras and photos better? Or just recommendations.
I learned from browsing the photo.net forums and dpreview forums, so mostly learning the artistic aspect after learning about the technical aspects. I also spent a lot of time at the bookstore and libraries just reading the basic "how-to" books and picking up the concepts from there. This site is new and I think could cut the learning time significantly: http://lifehacker.com/5815742/basics...complete-guide

Good luck!

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos") Contact for photoshoot bookings!
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #149
AgentTexas
MY WIGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudillama View Post
What i really need to find a tutorial of is how to manipulate a photo. heres an example of what im talking about http://browse.deviantart.com/#/d2wr2ws

It also shows you the original work! I can never seem to find a perfect tutorial on how photo manipulation is done. THis is something I would really like to do to my photos! any help will be great
It takes practice and time, not to mention Photoshop or some equally strong program. I don't "manipulate" photos a lot but I do a lot of art and trust me, if you really want to do it and make it look great, it's going to take practice. And A LOT of time.

Try searching "how to put a background on a picture" or something similar on Google.

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote