Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

How often do you go to cons in a year?

I'm curious. I got into anime last year and 4 weeks after I finished my 'first' anime (after a LONG hiatus), I cosplayed at my first con. Now, I've been to 2 cons this year, Metrocon and a local one. I'm planning to go to another in 2 months but....my parents probably will say it's been too many cons already this year. Considering I also want to go to Metrocon 2013...well.... hah. [/long story over]

How many cons do you go to and how much is too much in a year? I mean each con is basically the same plot, per se.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrLudwig View Post
I'm curious. I got into anime last year and 4 weeks after I finished my 'first' anime (after a LONG hiatus), I cosplayed at my first con. Now, I've been to 2 cons this year, Metrocon and a local one. I'm planning to go to another in 2 months but....my parents probably will say it's been too many cons already this year. Considering I also want to go to Metrocon 2013...well.... hah. [/long story over]

How many cons do you go to and how much is too much in a year? I mean each con is basically the same plot, per se.
I only go to one per year, but I'm a poor college student lol.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I go to three cons (Anime North, and a small anime con and a Ren-fest that are in my boyfriend's town so much cheaper to attend since we don't need a hotel), and usually I do something for Halloween and a cosplay meetup once a year that doesn't cost anything. ....so a grand total of five? Or three and two small events?
For the second part of your question, "too much" is highly dependent on the person. Some people have money and energy to go to something every month, some are good with one per season, some two a year, some just the one... I think if I added one more event in late summer/early fall, I'd be at my money/not fatigued by events and things to make limit on my end.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
vampricyoda
VampricYoda

It depends on the year. One year I did what turned out to be 14 cons and other assorted con-like events. (Ren Faires ect). This year, due to being without a job for 3 months, and saving for another 6 before I lost it, since I knew it was coming. I only did 6. And three of those I only did because I got in free.

Wicked Faire, Steampunk World's Fair, Castle Point Anime Convention, Anime Next, Dex Con, and NYCC. But really except for Anime Next and Castle Point they're all different themes. That's my secret. Very rarely do I double up on themes of a con.
vampricyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

I'm still a broke highschooler, and I went to one con when I was in middle school, and well, that was that, but then in highschool so far I've been doing two cons in a year, thanks to the president of my club (because she's the one that organizes all the con trips for the club), because though we can't really get the whole club around as much, she pretty much always takes me along to a second con after the group con. She goes to about four cons a year (whereas I'm at two) so I'm hoping that it may go up this year ._.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

I only attend conventions once a year due to money and school. I've attended Anime Central in Illinois and Comic World at S. Korea.
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Armin Arlet or Levi [Shingeki no Kyojin]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Aqua [Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Usually just one a year, though that's become two now. Occasionally three or four.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I try to go to all of them, since most of them are near to my hometown and tickets for entering are cheap I have no too much problem with them.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
AshofRebirth

As much as I can and have money for(feel like spending money on).

Last year, or cosplay season (which I count one year from the biggest con I'm attending. So A-kon.. my cosplay season started last year June and ended this June. I start on new cosplays), it was my first time getting back into cosplay and con after a 6 year break... Before I simply didn't have rides or friends to accompany to go to cons that I wanted to, even if they were really close :/
I tried to go to a few cons during that season, but I always didn't have someone to go with, and I felt too shy at that moment to go alone. Missed out on alot. lol So A-kon 23 was my only con for that season.. and after I finished that one I realized I wanted to do this alot more often!

So this "season" I'm hoping to go to at least four (one ABOUT each real season (like fall, winter, spring). To get my fix XD). Six if I have the funds and time to request off.

EDIT: I would agree that "too much" is really up to you.. to be honest. To me, too much is when you're constantly going broke JUST to go to every convention there is. Conventions are a little expensive, especially out of town ones. And if you're running yourself ragged trying to go to all of them. But even then.. if you're enjoying yourself and you're happy, "too much" is relative

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!

Last edited by AshofRebirth : 09-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

I've been doing both Katsucon and Otakon for a couple of years now, I seem to always gravitate to those two (plus travel expenses are not bad at all for those).

Hoping to get to Colossalcon in 2013, and maybe one other! (Possibly AUSA 2013 or Anime Boston 2013-- but if I can afford the plane ticket, Youmacon 2013?)
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I tend to go to "a lot" of cons, and can do so because I budget well and my city has a large fan-community, which is to say that there is a con or large event of some kind (comics, anime, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, etc) at least once a month either in the city or a reasonable travel distance away.
This year is 10 cons/large costume events for me - but I also skipped 7 conventions which are local enough that I wouldn't have had to pay anything besides admission to attend. Can't do everything.

As for when it becomes too much? For me it's when i do a lot of conventions consecutively - In July I was at a convention 4 out of 5 weekends and by the last one I was REALLY ready to take a long break and actually have the time/energy to do things like work on costumes.
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Shirayuki~Chan

Up until recently it's just been Anime Detour- as it's the biggest convention near us, and we're still in High School, so traveling is a no! But we decided to go to Anime Fusion(brand new this year)!

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Mayuen
A stalker-ish newbie

When I started it was only one per year, but this year I have been to five... xD though three of them were smaller cons (not that the bigger one was big compared to some conventions around, since it is Sweden we're talking about, but big compared to the others in Sweden)
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Starshnbrght
Think outside the cube!

At first, my cousin and I were only able to go to one con per year. Slowly but surely, it became two cons per year. I think three would be pushing it, but we never know. It all depends on the location and the finances.
Starshnbrght is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Well, the first year I started cosplaying (2010) I went to 2 cons. 2011 I went to 4 cons and this year I've been to 9 cons so far and there will be a 10th on November. So yeah, the number has been growing every year. XD I didn't count mini manga days (read: 4 hour events) because I've been to maybe one or two of those each year.

I don't believe I can go to 10 cons next year though.. haha.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote