Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #151
strawintogold

I was looking at the Brother CS6000i (seen here); anyone know whether or not it's good? I have NO sewing machine experience, but want something that would be able to handle very light faux-leather sewing (see post above!).

I'm basing my purchase on Amazon reviews, but I'd really love some first-hand accounts with inexpensive but good machines.
strawintogold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #152
shadowbuster44
Rabitbuster

I bought a Brother XL-2600i as my first machine from Walmart. My GF has a Brother CS-6000i she got from good will Which works fantastic (after a few repairs). We trade off using each others machines. Mine is great for sewing thick materials, layers, or fur as my foot can be raised higher than hers. But she has the wider range of stitches, which I find is the only down side to mine. With the XL-2600i it has no ladder stitches, which I have found to need more than I thought I would. Also it has this humongous reverse lever, which is just comically big for no apparent reason, but I like it.

Cons I went to this Year:
ALA 2013
Further Confusion

Upcoming Cons:
Biggest Little Fur Con (BLFC)
CaliFur
Anime Expo
AM2
ComiKaze
shadowbuster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #153
MelinCoimas

I have a Bernina Bernette 66. I've had it for three or fours years now, and it still works great! I've seen some bad reviews online, but I've never had any problems. My grandmother bought it for me as a last second thing. My mom's old machine wouldn't do bobbin threading, and my grandma didn't have any working machines. Fixing my mom's was going to cost as much as buying a new one, so she bought this while it was on sale for about 75% off.
MelinCoimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #154
Aria Overload
Aria

For most cosplay a smile sewing machine is fine, nothing too major you basically needs to look into a few things when buying your first sewing machine. Things like the type of patterns it can do with a needle. You want ones that do regular stitches but ones that can also do stretch stitches or zig/zag patterns, these setting are for spandex and stretch materials.
Sheik - Legend of Zelda
Aria Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #155
fefeblondie
The Megantron

baby lock ^^ i'd always recommend getting a bl. they're affordable and come with a free class on how to use it. babylock has great customer service and are built to last, putting my old crappy brother to shame. It's really easy to use for beginners and, again, that class will answer any questions about operating it. ^^
fefeblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #156
SailorDoom

I wholeheartedly second the Babylock suggestion. I just upgraded to their Elizabeth from a newer but very basic Viking and wow -- what a difference! The new machine sews like a dream and I no longer feel like I'm fighting with my tools! I know the Elizabeth is more machine than what a beginner needs, so I just want to say that in my research (and in-store testing!) I would also highly recommend the much less expensive Brother Innov-is 40. I "test drove" the Project Runway edition and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with it. It is a really, really nice machine and it can be found for around $350 on sale. I think the regular price is around $600. I know when I was first looking into buying a sewing machine, anything over $200 would have been unthinkable but looking back I wish I would have gotten something basic but more reliable. Not only would it have lasted me longer, but learning to sew would have been much more enjoyable.

I can also recommend checking Craig's List if it's pretty active in your area. I'm near Seattle, so there's tons of sewing machines for sale all the time. There are some really good deals out there, especially on slightly older machines. Whether you buy new or used, really make an effort to try before you buy and, if possible, take someone along for second opinions and whatnot.
SailorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #157
minimescott

Hi guys, I use my Janome Memory Craft 3500. It's a Great Beginners Sewing machine... With 56 Stitches - It's sure to go a looooong way! I don't know if you can still get them brand new, But I know you can get them on places like eBay or TradeMe!http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=Jan...9,r:1,s:0,i:71
minimescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #158
Reily96
Zelda Obsessed

So I have just gotten a 3rd sewing machine today as a gift. It's new, not even out of the box, and it looks like a good machine... But, I dunno. It's a Shark by Euro-Pro Model 412.

Anyone have any idea if it's at least a passable machine? >.> I mean, if it's not, I'll probably keep it anyways because it does buttonholes, which my other two machines cannot soooo...

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #159
Penlowe

Sorry to break it to you, but Euro Pro Shark models- all of them- suck. swap it for a Janome if you can.
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #160
Reily96
Zelda Obsessed

I was afraid of that. I probably can't though. It was a gift from my grandmother, and she's a bit of a hoarder. I highly doubt she has the receipt, and if she did, she'd guilt trip me into keeping it. So I think I'll sell it instead, if that's the case.

But thanks for telling me that. I couldn't find a review for it anywhere.

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 12-23-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #161
KawaiiCouture

MACHINE Envy?

Talk about trouble my friends!
I have owned a cheap singer for years and never had a problem. My father decided to buy me a 5,000$ Phaff on sale for 1200 for my birthday a couple of years ago and he finally paid it off last year. It's horrible. I've had it serviced twice and it's finicky as hell! So I have recently purchased a Brother XL for next to nothing. It is a DREAM! Please someone explain to me why in the bloody hell the cheapo machines that are supposed to be crap work a million times better than my goody goody 5000$ Phaff embriodery machine? Anyone else have phaff issues or own one and can give me some advice?
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #162
KawaiiCouture

I also own a singer surger I have recently bought for my business and it's giving me HELL! Anyone have advice on even how to USE one? I am at my wits end with this! It's destroying EVERYTHING!!
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #163
KawaiiCouture

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawintogold View Post
I was looking at the Brother CS6000i (seen here); anyone know whether or not it's good? I have NO sewing machine experience, but want something that would be able to handle very light faux-leather sewing (see post above!).

I'm basing my purchase on Amazon reviews, but I'd really love some first-hand accounts with inexpensive but good machines.
Brother's are generally very good machine's I'd trust it until I try it. I own I 40 or 50 year old one I bought second have that works well I am just too dumb to use it. Plus I own a brother XL the purple one and it's a dream!
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #164
esclarmonde

Got my first one for Christmas, it's a Necchi 276. It's a good brand, even if in the last years the quality has dropped for fancier machines the basic line is still pretty good and, most importantly, sturdy.

I've done a few tests and even if the foot doesn't lift very much, if I can manage to put them under it it can sew 3 layers of heavy jeans with no problem! It has elastic stitches (straight, zigzag), can do buttonholes, invisible hems and a overlock stitch.

Simple, functional and sturdy, also since it's one of the staple brands here in Italy it'll be quite easy to find technical assistance if needed.
esclarmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #165
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCouture View Post
Talk about trouble my friends!
I have owned a cheap singer for years and never had a problem. My father decided to buy me a 5,000$ Phaff on sale for 1200 for my birthday a couple of years ago and he finally paid it off last year. It's horrible. I've had it serviced twice and it's finicky as hell! So I have recently purchased a Brother XL for next to nothing. It is a DREAM! Please someone explain to me why in the bloody hell the cheapo machines that are supposed to be crap work a million times better than my goody goody 5000$ Phaff embriodery machine? Anyone else have phaff issues or own one and can give me some advice?
I've sewn a lot on basic Pfaff and loved them, but it is entirely possible that your issues stem from it being a computerized model for embroidery. When a machine is designed for embroidery it HAS to be finicky to a certain extent, otherwise the embroidery will suck. I've worked with a number of embroidery-only machines and yes, they can be tear-your-hair finicky. Sorta like buying a BMW Z3 and then realizing what you needed was a Ford F150, they are both great for what they were designed for but can really suck when used outside their design.