Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #646
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireKatchan View Post
I cannot for the life of me find the right patterned leather material for Loki's 'shoulder pad' business.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files...1339261927.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...rnqo1_1280.jpg
likely made in the costume shop for the costume and not something commercially available. You can pattern leather yourself, but it's a tedious process that most wouldn't notice enough to appreciate. Requires a hammer, some dies & a place you can bang on your leather for several hours a day.

Unread 10-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #647
regishel
Robin (Batman)

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJeran View Post
What kind of fabric for the blue jacket and shorts? I've thought about velvet, but it's too tough for me to work with and expensive and HOT. I want to get a rich, intense feeling... Another picture.
What anime is this?
regishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #648
Kiii_chan
Japanese Cowboy Hero~

Hey guys. I've never really made any cosplays with different fabric than your usual cotton blend stuff... but I really want to make Maya from Borderlands 2
http://www.videogamegirlsdb.com/Imag...ands_2__06.jpg
any suggestions on what to use for the yellow/leotard kind of thing she wears?
Kiii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #649
korokuXneo

Hiya!

I am curious as to what fabric I should make Alisa's shirt out of. It's a complicated shape, so I don't want the material to be too ridiculous to work with so that I can easily make alterations and whatnot. I also would want the fabric to be somewhat dyeable (if possible) so that I could have that light fade effect on the bottom. Any suggestions?
Lili - Tekken 6
Alisa - Tekken 6 *new!*
Gumi (Camellia Version) - Vocaloid *new!*
Valentine - Skullgirls *new!*
Adiane - Gurren Lagann *new!*

Possible 2013 Conventions
Swampcon | Momocon | Freecon | Animazement | Otakon (maybe) |Anime Weekend Atlanta
korokuXneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #650
wababex

Hi hi!
Wondering what fabric I should use for this vest.
It looks to me like the same stuff puffer coats are made out of.
However I don't have any idea what that material is called.

Thank yoooouuuu!
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #651
NotGoodCospYet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Everyone has their own computer/ monitor, and unless we are all color balanced exactly the same way, there is no telling exactly which shade of blue you are looking for, therefore we can only guess.
Frankly, your post asks a lot of questions that are either too hard to answer (like specific color shades) or are set up in such a way that we really can't help you because you already know what you want (cotton sateen). If you've already looked at the most popular on-line fabric sources.... see what I mean?

Alternative options:
1) buy the fabric you like in plain white & dye it.
2) 'settle' for the right fabric in a shade of blue you find imperfect
Thank you so much for your reply. I wrote as many details as possible thinking I would make it easier for anyone who was going to answer, but apparently it was exactly the opposite ^^'. I just didn't feel like writing here without having researched a little by myself.
NotGoodCospYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #652
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGoodCospYet View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. I wrote as many details as possible thinking I would make it easier for anyone who was going to answer, but apparently it was exactly the opposite ^^'. I just didn't feel like writing here without having researched a little by myself.
There is a learning curve to everything, even learning how to ask for help I'd much rather questions like yours than the "halp! I kno nothing! I want perfection for the $4.37 I pulled out of the couch cushions! do it for me for free plzkthanxbai!!' type that pop up at least once a week. I always try to praise when someone has done their homework, but in reading my original post again, I didn't give you near as much as I should have, for that I apologize.

GOOD JOB KIDDO!
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #653
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post

Hi hi!
Wondering what fabric I should use for this vest.
It looks to me like the same stuff puffer coats are made out of.
However I don't have any idea what that material is called.

Thank yoooouuuu!
Yes, I would look for something that has an outdoor quality to it. Puffy vests are usually nylon, sometimes rip-stop nylon (it has a grid texture to it). You can also look for duck or trigger as these are the kinds of fabrics good outerwear is often made from. Treated fabrics (cotton duck, polycotton blends with waterproofing added) would look awesome, but tend to be rather expensive.

You might have luck looking for an old jacket at a thrift store and removing the sleeves, it looks an awful lot like an old Cabela's coat my husband used to own.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #654
wababex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Yes, I would look for something that has an outdoor quality to it. Puffy vests are usually nylon, sometimes rip-stop nylon (it has a grid texture to it). You can also look for duck or trigger as these are the kinds of fabrics good outerwear is often made from. Treated fabrics (cotton duck, polycotton blends with waterproofing added) would look awesome, but tend to be rather expensive.

You might have luck looking for an old jacket at a thrift store and removing the sleeves, it looks an awful lot like an old Cabela's coat my husband used to own.
Haha thats neat. =) I'll definitely keep the treated fabrics and taking sleeves off a jacket in mind. Thank you so much! That really helps a lot.
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #655
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I'm currently trying to figure out the fabric to make this outfit. I'm thinking, because of the shine of it, it's pleather? In this picture, it looks a bit more matte so I'm not sure where to go with this.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #656
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I'm currently trying to figure out the fabric to make this outfit. I'm thinking, because of the shine of it, it's pleather? In this picture, it looks a bit more matte so I'm not sure where to go with this.
Eh, it doesn't really exhibit any other leather like qualities though. I'd be inclined to wander around looking for something completely different (no, not satin either, that's just yawn worthy).
Maybe a velvet? hot to wear, but no hotter than vinyl, velvet has a very subtle sheen to it, completely different from the harsh shine of satin.
I'd be inclined to go to the store and just wander around touching everything. Black is easy, so getting a fabric with a nice texture, feel & sheen are where your real focus is, and those are much harder to achieve when shopping on-line.
Unread 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #657
MalteseLizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korokuXneo View Post
Hiya!

I am curious as to what fabric I should make Alisa's shirt out of. It's a complicated shape, so I don't want the material to be too ridiculous to work with so that I can easily make alterations and whatnot. I also would want the fabric to be somewhat dyeable (if possible) so that I could have that light fade effect on the bottom. Any suggestions?
korokuXneo: I think her top is ome kind of satin. I would recommend cotton sateen. It is a lot easier to work with than satin, but it has a nice slight shine. it is also sturdy, which is important for that top, since you will probably need to make a very structured top with boning

Alternatively, order an accessory or some clothing from my Etsy store.

Etsy Deviantart Blog
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #658
silverexile

Hello

I'm new to cosplay and I want to make my debut for the FACTS convention in 2013. I went this year and I've seen some good things and want to restart my interest for cosplay, but I'm already stuck at the fabric choice lol D:

This is the idea that I plan on doing:

A white mage in the online version of Final Fantasy XIV, I've done some research but I can't find the right fabric for it, that's why I decided to ask my more experienced 'senpai's' for advice

The first idea was to use cotton. Why? It's easy and cheap to find/make. Problem: cotton is a bit stretchy and wouldn't give me a good feel.

The second idea was to use leather (white and red). But the problem with that is that it's hard to find in the right color and is usually expensive (maybe?)

Any advice for a novice cosplayer?
silverexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #659
Tias

Hey people
I hope some of you can help me here

I'm planning to make Ottoman Empire Turkey from Hetalia

Reference pictures are below:
Cosplayer on this site --> http://www.cosplay.com/costume/233711/
Ref 01
Ref 02

Personally i imagine the fabric to be something that does not get folds or not too much? ( you know, when you have to iron something to make it look nice, something like). I've seen some people use red velvet for the jacket itself but i don't think that looks good either.
I HAVE thought of maybe using something with barely noticable print like in "ref 01" because it adds to this fancy/royal feeling. But i have no clue really =I
Tias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #660
DarthPanda

I need help with the gold fabric on Dejah Thoris' under dress, Please. I made the blue robe but I haven't the faintest of what to do for the dress.

DarthPanda is offline   Reply With Quote