Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
MekoStar

Dancing Skit noob

i would like to do a dancing skit them year with 3 of the members of my dance group. Is there any dances that would really do over well with the judges? Or dances i should stay away from? time limit? anything will help
MekoStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

First..Dances are hard because all the ones people know are overdone a lot. Like to the point were you can't possibly get anyones attention..So I say watch an anime about dancing or that has a dance to it that isn't known too well. It will get the attention of people because they have not seen it yet, or have only a few times ever. Stay clear of Lucky Star dances and the Hare Hare Yukai dance as these are the MAIN two dance things that annoy people more then entertain. As for time limit, we can not tell you that. You have to look it up at your cons webpage or by emailing them. Only they can tell you the max amount of time you can do. I know the con I attened this year so far only allows 1:30 skits so dances are hard to do because anime dances go to an actual song that's about 3min.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I've always thought it would be neat to perform a medley. So mix multiple dances together. Since it sounds like you are experienced dancers I bet you could do it wonderfully. (:
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
I've always thought it would be neat to perform a medley. So mix multiple dances together. Since it sounds like you are experienced dancers I bet you could do it wonderfully. (:
Ya know, I was actually going to suggest this, but I wasn't aware how others thought of it..I've seen quite a few youtube vids of this that incorporated the dance from a specific anime with others.

Like, A good example is I saw a Haruhi Suzumiya one, (that's where you will recognize Hare Hare Yuukai) and then the had the other cosplayers talk a bit and start another dance and went through the main cast. It was hilarious.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Lilith Oya
Wind Elementalist

Just stay away from anything that has been rabid in the convention community. If you can score the internet for previous masquerades, take note of the songs that have been repeated over and over and over. I'll bet that Gangnam Style is going to dominate skits this year. If you can find a way to connect your cosplays with a particular tune, all the better. It'll connect with the audience better too. Judges will appreciate the extra thought and award more points.
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

As a judge, I would rather see an originally-choreographed dance to a song that fits the characters/series source than any of the "known" dance routines. Execution is important, too, so it has to be something everyone in the group can both learn and practice - while in the costumes. My rule of thumb for any kind of performance but especially dance is: if you could do the exact same performance while wearing paper bags instead of costumes, it's not going to get you anywhere. The costumes - and characters - should be part of it.

As far as time limits - you have to stay within the time limit established by the masquerade rules. Don't go over. Don't beg and cry and plead with the director to get 3 minutes if everyone else is allowed 90 seconds. And really, anything over 90 seconds is an eternity to the audience. The judges get the gist within the first 30 seconds, so unless you're planning to surprise and wow them with some twist or really cool acrobatics or something bizarre, they don't need 3 minutes. I don't care how much you like the song or the routine.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Satine
'Geddon cosplay judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Ya know, I was actually going to suggest this, but I wasn't aware how others thought of it..I've seen quite a few youtube vids of this that incorporated the dance from a specific anime with others.
It happens a heck of a lot. Which is not to say don't do it But if you are wanting something original this is not a new idea.

Best advice is to play to your strengths.

Mekostar what kind of dance group are you in? That is probably the best indicator of the kind of performance to do. You also do not need to copy a dance that is well known; choreographing your own work and using it to interpret a story is another way to use your talents
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote