Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
NekoNivi
Living Shinigami

What got you into Steampunk?

It's interesting to take a little break from Cosplay.com only to come back to see such a HUGE change in the interface and even see some new threads! I've always felt a bit shy of being on Cosplay.com as Steampunk has been something I've been more into, and I didn't want to waste inter-space by posting what some people, probably weren't sure of what it was.

Now, it's growing like a weed, showing up in movies, TV shows, heck even America's Next Top Model had some of the fashion on there. But after hosting my own Steampunk convention, I would like to ask, what has some of you interested in the art culture movement?
NekoNivi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
arkham71
Arkham Productions LLC

Well the truth of the matter is that I have always been a bit of a history buff and when I was younger I always wanted to have a home like the Addams Family, with strange items from the past scattered all around my home. Fast forward to about five years ago when I bought my home. While on the outside its fairly unassuming the interior is covered in amazing woodwork, most of which dates back 90 years to when the house was first built. As a result my fiancée and I decided to research what the house used to look like and asked the former owner. She stated that when she purchased the house the former owners had velvet curtains up and it “looked like a funeral parlor.” So needless to say I purchased yards and yards of panne velvet and my fiancée and I commenced making curtains. Along the way we decided to turn the room off of the entry hall into an English Victorian Parlor (My fiancées mom was born in England). As a result the room was soon filled with original and reproduction Victorian furniture.

This created a problem, however, in that you could easily see the adjoining modern family room from the fainting couch which rather ruined the effect. What seemed to stick out most of all was the computer and monitor along with the router, keyboard, etcetera. Even after putting up curtains between the room this was an issue since we use that gas fireplace / stove in the parlor to help heat the house in winter. For this to work efficiently we have to keep the curtains open. So the question arose how could we help make things blend?

The answer came in the form of steampunk mods of the computer. Over the course of six months I gradually changed the computer system piece by piece form something that screamed early 21st century to very early 20th century. Thus steampunk helped us to keep the neo-Victorian aesthetic throughout the two rooms and helped to soften the jarring juxtaposition of the two time periods.

Since learning about steampunk, however, my fiancée and I have become avid fans of the aesthetic. We have both purchased and modified clothing to wear to events which easily fall under the label of steampunk. In addition or next production is being created with the steampunk aesthetic in mind in an effort to help visually portray that the story does not happen on Earth….. at least not this Earth.

So there you have it. It took my fiancée and I a while to find steampunk and we took a rather circuitous route, but here we are today

-John
Arkham Productions, LLC

A necromancer, a minister, a miko, a wiccan, a werewolf, and two vampires walk into a bar….
arkham71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Hm, well I've always loved fashions of the past. (I suppose it's here I should point out I love Dieselpunk, and steampunk is just the umbrella of -punk where cyber, diesel, deco, atom, weird west and ectpunk reside)
My girlfriend in 2009 was real into it, and I had just started reading the Marvel Noir series. Plus -punk has a hell of a lot to do with Alternate Dimensions, and those are my bread and butter.
I am one of those people that maintains the style of wearing it everyday, and feel out of place in normal type clothes.

Though joining a steampunk circus troupe in 2011 and getting to perform at over forty steampunk conventions between March 2011 and August 2012 for free was defiantly an added bonus.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Looked it up (somehow) on Wikipedia one day. ...No I'm serious.
I think it was because I was looking at Lolita fashion, which I'm also interested in. Lolita and Steampunk were both under the neo-victorian category.
Anyway, read it on Wiki. "Oh this is cool."
Google imaged it. "Oh this is really cool."
Started doing some research and stuff here and there.. It seemed like I've always been in Victorian-like fashions for a while.
About four or so years of admiring from afar.. I joined an airship with a friend's help and made my own outfit xD

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Curucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshofRebirth View Post
Looked it up (somehow) on Wikipedia one day. ...No I'm serious.
I think it was because I was looking at Lolita fashion, which I'm also interested in. Lolita and Steampunk were both under the neo-victorian category.
Anyway, read it on Wiki. "Oh this is cool."
Google imaged it. "Oh this is really cool."
Started doing some research and stuff here and there.. It seemed like I've always been in Victorian-like fashions for a while.
About four or so years of admiring from afar.. I joined an airship with a friend's help and made my own outfit xD
Sort of the same thing. I was trying to find a unique fashion clique for myself. Tried doing the Dandy thing, and it didn't quite fit. I saw a few steampunkers at cons and decided to try it for myself. So in addition to doing the whole costume thing, steampunk has also permiated my everyday wear (ie, I don't dress like a homeless college student any more).
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I got into it because a few friends had talked about it some and then I decided to sketch out a few costume designs and ended up making one as a gift for a friend since she pretty much lives in steampunk most of the time. She even got complimented on it by Abney Park! But then I had made stuff for others and then saw more and more people doing it, so I decided to start working on my own stuff. So far none are 100% finished, but I hope to get my steampunk wind-up doll finished soon so I can get awesome pictures in it.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
ghosgreen

Well I've always had an interest in the fashion and ascetics from the 19th and early 20th century. So, yeah this sounds kinda silly but when I was first getting into costuming a couple of years ago I was thinking what would be easy and fun to do that wasn't a character. There was a reason for this but anyways. Then my friend showed me what steampunk was and I was pretty much hooked from then. Steampunk is one of those things I do to relax from my normal cosplay stuff. It's nice to just be creative and create your own gadgets and outfits and not worry about accuracy for a change which is a constant head ache for me.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote