Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3602 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #56506
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Words cannot express how unhappy I am with my friend's choice of hotel for NYCC. Just found out last night and spent the next hour terrifying myself by reading reviews. Feels like my trip has already been ruined, and I'm not even leaving home for another 6 days.
...where are you staying?

My counsel would be to spend less time at the hotel and more time at the con!
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #56507
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
...where are you staying?

My counsel would be to spend less time at the hotel and more time at the con!
I actually can't remember the name off the top of my head right now, but according to over 70 reviews, it's the shittiest hotel in the city and not worth the cheap price tag. I plan to spend as little time in the hotel as possible anyways, but I do have to store my things, have to sleep, and have to shower, none of which I actually want to do at this place.
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #56508
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

What's your flavor, tell me what's your flavor!

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #56509
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chergnomebyl View Post
My gf is getting a dog again. Stressing me out man!
Don't you have a ton of pets already? Tell her no!
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #56510
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
it's the shittiest hotel in the city and not worth the cheap price tag.
When I went to book a hotel, the nearest with availability left was the Milford and the price per night was 200+ a night. :/

I did see cheaper prices outside of con hotels, but figured it was better to stay in the suggestions. Might be one of those your friend took.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #56511
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Don't you have a ton of pets already? Tell her no!
Yes, Yes I do. Well I have, but now her mom is insinuating that we get the dog cause he's adorable or something. Pfft.

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #56512
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I actually can't remember the name off the top of my head right now, but according to over 70 reviews, it's the shittiest hotel in the city and not worth the cheap price tag. I plan to spend as little time in the hotel as possible anyways, but I do have to store my things, have to sleep, and have to shower, none of which I actually want to do at this place.
It might not be the fancy hotel with the hot tub and room parties going on, but it can still do the job without the bells and whistles. Your just going to be sleeping, dressing, and bathing there. Maybe they have new staff? New renovations? Maybe the people had bad experiences that have been resolved since? To be honest I take online reviews with a grain of salt, I've eaten or stayed at places that one person says is a detestable cesspool but me and my friends had a wonderful experience at.

Try to reserve your judgement until you spend time at the hotel.

Quote:
When I went to book a hotel, the nearest with availability left was the Milford and the price per night was 200+ a night. :/

I did see cheaper prices outside of con hotels, but figured it was better to stay in the suggestions. Might be one of those your friend took.
Last A-Cen Boyfriend booked the hotel reservations too late and we couldn't get into the hotel across from the convention center like the year prior. The hotel we got was not this big fancy hotel but it had free hot breakfast and an indoor pool as well as free-wifi and it was clean. It also had a free shuttle back and forth. It was about 80 cheaper I believe. Honestly we really enjoyed it even if it wasn't as swanky looking.

also, here's this:
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Last edited by Lithium Flower : 10-05-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: kitty kats
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #56513
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:

I didn't look at the con hotels myself, since friend was taking care of everything, but I highly doubt that the one we are at is in any way associated with NYCC. While $200+ a night isn't great, I'd rather pay more and enjoy my vacation. My last trip to a US con ended up being ...unsatisfactory... in terms of accomodations; NY was supposed to make up for that failure, not be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium flower
It might not be the fancy hotel with the hot tub and room parties going on, but it can still do the job without the bells and whistles. Your just going to be sleeping, dressing, and bathing there. Maybe they have new staff? New renovations? Maybe the people had bad experiences that have been resolved since? To be honest I take online reviews with a grain of salt, I've eaten or stayed at places that one person says is a detestable cesspool but me and my friends had a wonderful experience at.

Try to reserve your judgement until you spend time at the hotel.
I am realistic about my expectations, definitely not expecting anything super, and I know when reviewers are being unreasonable based on the price point. But not having a hot tub or room service =/= dealing with bedbugs & roaches, having warm water maybe (forget about hot), filthy walls & carpets, dirty bedding and towels etc etc. It's not just a couple of bad reviews, it's overwhelmingly bad. And even the good ones are along the lines of "it's fine if you don't spend any time there and ask for a new room if the first one is too dirty" >_>
I might get lucky and it will be fine. I might not, and decide to never go anywhere again. (only half joking)
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #56514
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
That would work only if it's late evening --- barring any flight delays, I'm touching down at La Guardia at 19H30 and will head up to checkin at the hotel then. I'd only be available afterwards on thursday. Otherwise it could be friday eve.

Eeeeeewwwwwwwwww.
Friday works too. I think I have your cell, so I'll keep you in the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaori87 View Post
That's just disgusting.
YUP!

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't look at the con hotels myself, since friend was taking care of everything, but I highly doubt that the one we are at is in any way associated with NYCC. While $200+ a night isn't great, I'd rather pay more and enjoy my vacation. My last trip to a US con ended up being ...unsatisfactory... in terms of accomodations; NY was supposed to make up for that failure, not be worse.

I am realistic about my expectations, definitely not expecting anything super, and I know when reviewers are being unreasonable based on the price point. But not having a hot tub or room service =/= dealing with bedbugs & roaches, having warm water maybe (forget about hot), filthy walls & carpets, dirty bedding and towels etc etc. It's not just a couple of bad reviews, it's overwhelmingly bad. And even the good ones are along the lines of "it's fine if you don't spend any time there and ask for a new room if the first one is too dirty" >_>
I might get lucky and it will be fine. I might not, and decide to never go anywhere again. (only half joking)
Yeah, you may want to re-book ASAP, seeing you can probably get your deposit back if you cancel with 24 hours of check in. Also dare I ask how far out you are from the Javitis because that sort of hotel sounds like being based out of Chinatown.

And if your hotel is indeed poop and you wish to come back to NYCC for ATOMIC ROBO PLOTS, let me know in advance, and you can just crash at my place which is 100% cheaper.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 10-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #56515
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

One time I stayed in a hotel room with my mom that absolutely REEKED of cigarette smoke! To get the smell out, we turned the shower on to its hottest setting to fill the bathroom with steam and left the sheets, pillow cases and comforters in there for a while. It got most of it out. That's how I found out I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I woke up the next morning with a scratchy throat and itchy eyes.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #56516
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:

Yikes, that's not good.

Some years ago I stayed in a hotel with my parents in Kalamazoo where each room was totally infested with dead beetles. We had this big wave of jackass beetles that pretended to look like ladybugs but they where just jerks and stuff, so the hotel got infested with them and the whole room was covered in them. Along the molding on the walls just enormous piles of dead beetles and even in the sheets. My mom demanded a new room but we went to another hotel the day after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaori87 View Post
One time I stayed in a hotel room with my mom that absolutely REEKED of cigarette smoke! To get the smell out, we turned the shower on to its hottest setting to fill the bathroom with steam and left the sheets, pillow cases and comforters in there for a while. It got most of it out. That's how I found out I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I woke up the next morning with a scratchy throat and itchy eyes.
Was it a non-smoking room? If so, the person who stayed before you was an ass :| my mom still smokes in non-smoking rooms by going in the bathroom and turning the hot water on to create steam but the thing is folks like yourself with allergies ask for non-smoking rooms for a reason.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #56517
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Was it a non-smoking room? If so, the person who stayed before you was an ass :| my mom still smokes in non-smoking rooms by going in the bathroom and turning the hot water on to create steam but the thing is folks like yourself with allergies ask for non-smoking rooms for a reason.
It was a non-smoking room, but we were thinking that maybe someone from another room was smoking and the smoke seeped into our room through the vents.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #56518
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Happy Halloween with a new avatar.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #56519
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

When I stayed in Baltimore we stayed in the cheapest hotel possible and I didn't actually sleep....at all, really, but when we got home my mom was complaining of bed bug bites. And while I was sewing I saw a bunch of spiders running around. It was also not so nice looking and kind of dark. :|
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #56520
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

I've just finished making some curd for my grandad when we visit him tomorrow. I hope things turn out to be better than they sound. Apparently we're driving over to him first thing (it's a 2-3 hour trip), having a coffee with him, then going to my maternal grandparents' for lunch, then coming back to chat with him for longer and coming back in the evening.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote