Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
SofieHatter

How would I make this?

Hi, Im new to sewing and I was wondering if anyone can help me out with how I would make this dress
SofieHatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Penlowe

How new to sewing? can you follow a pattern? Do you have other pictures to know what the top of the dress looks like under that sweater?
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the skirts, I would look up how to make a circle skirt. You might have some issues with that scalloped hem, but overall it looks like a big poofy circle skirt (you will need a petticoat to make it stand out like that).
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
SofieHatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
How new to sewing? can you follow a pattern? Do you have other pictures to know what the top of the dress looks like under that sweater?
Like super new, Ive only made a few little things here and there but never an actual dress. But I do learn things really easily so im not worried about difficulty unless its extemly hard.
I dont know what it looks like on top but I want to make it sleevless since Im going to cover it with a sweater anyway.
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
SofieHatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
For the skirts, I would look up how to make a circle skirt. You might have some issues with that scalloped hem, but overall it looks like a big poofy circle skirt (you will need a petticoat to make it stand out like that).
That seems easy enough Thank you!! I just need to figure out how to make the top part :P
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Since you want to do the shirt sleeveless, just look for shirt patterns that either button closed down the front or back (I personally think something more along the lines of a 1940s or 1950s style blouse would work) that has a Peter Pan collar (it might have another name, but that's what I've heard it called all my life). You can get one with or without sleeves. If the pattern doesn't have a sleeveless option, you will just have to make a facing to go in the armhole. That's not too terribly hard, but since you are new to sewing, just try to find one that's sleeveless to save you the trouble.

If you get a pattern that closes down the back, you could even attach the skirt to it and make it a full dress. But if not, you can just wear it as two separate pieces. Since the artwork is so basic, you sometimes have to create your own closures and seamlines.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Amandy-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I'd go with more of a pannier like this than a petticoat, personally.
Amandy-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Penlowe

I was sure I had a pattern for a dress with fitted bodice, a peter pan collar and a gathered skirt, but alas it's a toddler size 4 O.o Sorry
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I'm with Amandy-Chan. A pannier or hoop skirt will give you a much fuller look than a petticoat. Because of the shortness of the dress, and the fullness of it, I'd be tempted to put a petticoat underneath made from something like tulle to give the underside of the dress a finished look. And to, you know, hide your lady bits.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
SofieHatter

Thanks for the help everyone!
I actually finished it yesterday and I went with the circle skirt and a petticoat. For the top I just kinda made it as I went. Its not the prettiest dress ever but I think its ok for my first time making a dress C: