Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Hoshi26
Cosplay apprentice

High heels for dummies

I am considering maybe in the future wearing a cosplay that involves high heeled shoes, but the issue is that I have never worn stillettos, and feel nervous when in heels more that 2'' high. Does anyone have suggestions for how to learn to walk in high heels/feel comfortable in them/ not be afraid that you are going to trip and fall down a flight of stairs?
Hoshi26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

For me, the biggest thing is breaking them in. A lot. Wear them around the house whenever you can to get used to it. If you find that your shoes give you blisters, then before you wear them at the convention, put bandaids whereve it rubs to add that padding (the high heels I have to wear for choir really hurt my pinky toe, so I just wrap that toe in a bandaid before the concert and I'm fine).

Hope I could help!

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Get wider heeled high heels and gel insoles. They will make them more comfortable and with wide heels less likely to fall. Believe me I've been wearing them for 4 years every Sunday to church where there is a small flight of stairs. Never have fallen yet..

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I love high heels for both cosplay and my regular clothing. Get some insoles made for heels and if you are wear sandals, get the little pads that go right under the toes and the ball of the foot. Break them in and get yourself used to wearing the heels. Your balance is much different in heels, so you need to learn to fix your center of gravity (I've seen so many girls not used to heels wearing them and constantly leaning forward and looking like they are going to fall) so that you can stand straight. Band-aids are a good idea if your shoes rub. You can also get moleskin that has an adhesive backing and cut strips to put in your shoes on parts that would rub. Lastly, make sure to either scuff the bottom or get those little adhesive grippers that go on the bottom of the shoe. Most heels don't have gripper bottoms and are very slick, so that can make you fall quite easily even if you are used to walking in heels.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I remember a video from Broadway dancers that stated you need to rely on your core muscles (abs and lower back) to hold you up, not the shoes.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi26 View Post
I am considering maybe in the future wearing a cosplay that involves high heeled shoes, but the issue is that I have never worn stillettos, and feel nervous when in heels more that 2'' high. Does anyone have suggestions for how to learn to walk in high heels/feel comfortable in them/ not be afraid that you are going to trip and fall down a flight of stairs?
Acquire shoes

Put on shoes

Stand in an area with enough space

Watch every episode of the Jersey Shore backwards and compressed into a 30 second clip

Sacrafice a chicken immediately following

This will summon Snooki, master of ridiculous clothing

Ask Snooki to teach you how to walk in heals
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Wear the shoes everywhere you go. Get used to walking in them, and just break them in. You'll find once it does come time to wear the heels, you'll be fine.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
I remember a video from Broadway dancers that stated you need to rely on your core muscles (abs and lower back) to hold you up, not the shoes.
This. I've been taking ballet for a year and since it trains your balance with your core and back, I have ZERO trouble walking in heels- I can even run a short sprint in three-inch stilletos. Before it was wobble, wobble, trip, fall. You really need to stand up with all your muscles being used in heels- letting all your weight fall heavily on a little point is a recipe for disaster. As well, try to evenly distribute your weight in your feet, which goes with the "don't just thud down all your body weight into your heel".
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
cowsrcute

Heels are great. I don't walk in anything under 3" All you have to do is just get use to it. Walk around them as much as possible. The could hurt at first but the more you wear them the better it will be. Make sure you get ones that fit nicely. If it does not fit right, you will be uncomfortable since your foot will be not positioned right in the heel. Good starters are when you walk down the stairs, make sure you walk from toe to heel. This way, you will make sure you have nice footing before you plant it! After you get the hang of it walking down stairs will come naturally. If you are regularly walking, walk from heel to toe.This will come naturally to after a while.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
biscuitxsalsa

You are going to want to get a perfect size so that may mean trying on many different heels to get a good fit. If they are a little too big it will be nearly impossible to walk in them without falling but if they are too small it will be painful to go to an 8 hour con . So once you find the right pair just walk walk walk walk and walk around somemore whenever you get the chance to. I don't think there's an easy way to learn how to walk in them besides practice. Lastly, just be confident when you wear them. If you hesitate it'll look funny. I wear heels all the time for parties and what not so it was a matter of just getting use to the feel. Good luck and I hope to see the pictures of your cosplay!
biscuitxsalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
sugarpunch18
User is now Unknowable

This video may seem a little silly but it was surprisingly very helpful! Hope it helps!
~LoveMeUniform!Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)
sugarpunch18 is offline   Reply With Quote