Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Second Chin?

So far, I've been losing a good amount of weight, and no problem so far with my routine. Just wondering if there is any tricks or anything to lose the "second/double chin" or the extra fat underneath the chin, or whatever is actually called.

I'm at the point the rest of the body looks okay, but that still appears in pictures.

Any suggestions, fellow cosplayers?

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Camera angles and posture. No joke. Unless you're like bone thin, a double chin can happen to ANYONE in a photo. Do a google search for how to hid or prevent a double chin in photos. Practice angles in the mirror.

Yeah yeah, saying "hid it" might seem like bad advice for a fitness forum.. but really? even people how are in shape get double chins in photos.
Suiseiseki0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

I agree with the above. I'm pretty chubby myself, and given the right angles I can have a huge double chin or none at all. Take these for example, in the first one the photographer took a picture from farther below my height, and I was gazing slightly down to meet the camera...

Eeek, double chin!

And in this one, she took it from more my eye level so I could pull my head up farther and out more.

No (or at least less of) double chin! I find that a cosplayer of any size can have the chin issue, it's mostly about being aware of how to position your head. It's best to practice in a mirror and know what looks good on you, but with hall shots at cons you really never know how you'll come out looking, that's why hall shots aren't always the best shots to judge yourself by.

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

While I'm definitely not disagreeing with any of you guys, as posing can always use more work regardless, I still want it gone.

I didn't have it when I was 18-21 years old, but now I'm 24 and been in the Military for over 3 years and now I have it. Which doesn't make sense (to me, who doesn't have the medical knowledge)....

Unread 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
BarkingPup

Putting your tongue to the roof of your mouth, lifting your chin, pulling it outwards, and camera angle, camera angle, camera angle.

Everyone, unless they're veeeery thin, has a double chin of some sort. An exaggerated tucking of the chin to your neck can give anyone some form of it. Some people have less, some people have more. Genetics, weight, muscle tone, etc. can all contribute to the lack thereof...
Traditional Kitsune - ?

Cosplay in the Future
Beyond Birthday Death Note
Grell Sutcliff Kuroshitsuji
Hatsune Miku Hold, Release, Rakshasa and Carcasses

General
Yankee/Bosozoku Lolita
Rainbow Dash Lolita My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Kano webcomic Kagerou
BarkingPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Libis

Yeah, if I don't watch it I get a double-chin. I even used to get one when I was only 115 lbs. Just be careful with head posture--as others have said.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Here's what I know. If you lose general weight eventually you can reduce the double chin. Also you can tone the muscles under your chin by doing stretches periodically (I believe if you stand straight up against a wall and tilt your head up).

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

^just the answer I was looking for. I'm still going to keep at the cardio/weight loss, I still got a good amount to go in my eyes.

Thanks everyone.

Unread 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
wababex

This is usually hereditary or could be from a lack of use of the muscle in that region ( I think) cause I've seen average and even kind of skinny people have a second chin looking thingy
There is an "as seen on TV" thing that says it can reduce it
Its like this machine you put under your chin to exercise it
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post
This is usually hereditary or could be from a lack of use of the muscle in that region ( I think) cause I've seen average and even kind of skinny people have a second chin looking thingy
There is an "as seen on TV" thing that says it can reduce it
Its like this machine you put under your chin to exercise it

Any idea if that machine thing actually works? lol.

Unread 10-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
Probably as good as the shake weight. Lulz. o3o

You MIGHT get results from continuing to diet and exercise, and you can google chin and neck exercises.. but there's a chance that these won't work. As most of us have stated, there are people who are thin and otherwise in shape and still have a double chin.

Question? Do you have a double chin all the time? If you look in the mirror, can you lessen it or make it vanish by changing your posture, the tilt of your head, etc?

I mean, definitely keep up the diet and exercise! Without a doubt you should continue to do that!! Buut also don't just brush off something simple like changing your posture. XD
Suiseiseki0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Probably as good as the shake weight. Lulz. o3o

You MIGHT get results from continuing to diet and exercise, and you can google chin and neck exercises.. but there's a chance that these won't work. As most of us have stated, there are people who are thin and otherwise in shape and still have a double chin.

Question? Do you have a double chin all the time? If you look in the mirror, can you lessen it or make it vanish by changing your posture, the tilt of your head, etc?

I mean, definitely keep up the diet and exercise! Without a doubt you should continue to do that!! Buut also don't just brush off something simple like changing your posture. XD
Definitely, No doubt I'm going to continue exercise, and of course tricks will help pictures. No way I'm arguing that, lol.

But there is a fine line between tricks that covers up/conceals it, and actually removing it...

If I doomed to have it, then so be it, but until I at least try some things, I can't rule anything out.

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Arti

Well, telling by the avatar, you do have a lot of weight to lose, and the reduction in body fat will definitely reduce the appearance of the double chin because there's less fat. It greatly depends on the amount of excess skin. Make sure that you're keeping or gaining muscle in the process.

Second, there really isn't any specific exercise that would target the chin because there really isn't any muscles there. The neck however, is targeted indirectly from a lot of exercises because the neck always gets some sort of tightening as a way to stabilize the body.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #14
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
I've got one, and I've been trying it for the last few weeks, and it FEELS like it's working something in my jaw, but I honestly can't see any difference so far. You can get one on eBay for like $3, so it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neckline-Sli...em3f1022 0c4a
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #15
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Arti: That was awhile ago, I lost good weight since then. I'm still continuing though.

Melanie: I'll check it out. thanks!