Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #5191
Mr Zero

Currently playing Halo: Reach, Mario 3D Land, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. So looking forward to Halo 4 coming out!
Mr Zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #5192
Serafina

I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2, and Pheonix Wright on DS.
Serafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #5193
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I remember some people on here talking about El Shaddai a little while ago. But I can't find that post at the moment for some reason. Did we decide if it's worth getting or not? They sell it at my school for $15 so I'm debating on getting it, but I've heard mixed things. I'll probably go buy I on my lunch break and see how it is!

And since I'm basically just at university all the time, I'm not really playing much that's not on my 3DS. And I'm mostly playing streetpass. Seriously, I streetpass the same three people at the same time everyday and I have no idea who these people are!
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5194
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I remember some people on here talking about El Shaddai a little while ago. But I can't find that post at the moment for some reason. Did we decide if it's worth getting or not? They sell it at my school for $15 so I'm debating on getting it, but I've heard mixed things. I'll probably go buy I on my lunch break and see how it is!
It's a steal for $15. I bought it for $20 a while back, and still felt guilty, like "I shouldn't be enjoying anything this much for $20." Combat's silky smooth, and the journey is unforgettable.
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #5195
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I'd say it's worth $15. I bailed out after Chapter 4. I liked some things about it, but the combat was too repetitive for me. It didn't help that I wasn't particularly good at it, so battles took me a long time. There's basically only one attack button but by varying the rhythm you get different combos. I could never quite get the hang of it. Also, if you die you resurrect yourself by button-mashing so I was never really forced to get any better at it. I thought the platforming parts were pretty fun. The graphics are certainly unique and interesting and the story concept is intriguing. The game play just wasn't interesting enough for me to want to keep going.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #5196
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

I guess my only complaint about El Shaddai is that the enemies have a TON of health. Still, the one-button combat isn't so bad. If you like DMC and Bayonetta, you should feel right at home varying the time between attacks to spark greater ones. There's also a special attack and special move, per weapon. In the end, it's one of those games where I feel the experience makes it worth playing through, if you allow the atmosphere to take you.
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #5197
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
I guess my only complaint about El Shaddai is that the enemies have a TON of health.
O.k. Glad to hear that it wasn't just me. It also bothered me that the bosses didn't have a health bar. I was never sure which of my attacks were doing the most damage. Their armor would fall off but was that from a particular combo? A cumulative effect? I could never figure it out. But yeah, I didn't think it was a bad game. It had some unique aspects to it and I'd definitely recommend it to someone like DF who plays a lot of different stuff (especially for $15). For me though, the enjoyment to effort ratio wasn't large enough.

Tried Fable 2 with sort of the same result. It had a lot of stuff that sounded cool in theory (like being able to burp and fart) but was actually sort of dull in practice. The combat was super easy. So I gave that up and am back playing Demon's Souls.
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #5198
MeiChama
Professional Alvin Lover

Resident Evil 6, and watching my friend play Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

What's Being Made
Surprise {Shingeki no Kyojin}
Hanji Zoe {Shingeki no Kyojin}

Where I'm Going
Anime Expo 2014

"With our powers combined we are cosplayers!"
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #5199
Deathfire
Eats Stars

Going semi-old school and playing FFIX again (for the millionth time). I just moved, so I don't have all my stuff, but once I get my PS3 over here, I must get my hands on P4 Arena and Resident Evil 6!!!
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #5200
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
O.k. Glad to hear that it wasn't just me. It also bothered me that the bosses didn't have a health bar. I was never sure which of my attacks were doing the most damage. Their armor would fall off but was that from a particular combo? A cumulative effect? I could never figure it out. But yeah, I didn't think it was a bad game. It had some unique aspects to it and I'd definitely recommend it to someone like DF who plays a lot of different stuff (especially for $15). For me though, the enjoyment to effort ratio wasn't large enough.

Tried Fable 2 with sort of the same result. It had a lot of stuff that sounded cool in theory (like being able to burp and fart) but was actually sort of dull in practice. The combat was super easy. So I gave that up and am back playing Demon's Souls.
Oooo! What soul level are you? We should do co-op! I enjoy helping out in that game just as much as I enjoy invading/PVP. Also, I had similar experiences with Nano Breaker and NeverDead. They both had a lot of cool ideas, but the execution couldn't possibly have been any further off. Key difference bein' that El Shaddai wasn't a terrible game.
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #5201
Maury V.
Ultra director/host/prod.

Honestly the last time I played games was two weeks ago at the Tokyo Game Show so here's what I played:

Ace Attorney 5
dmc: Devil May Cry
Prof. Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Dead or Alive 5
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 WiiU edition
Phantasy Star Online 2

I haven't been here in a GOOD while. Good to see you guys are still being crazy as usual.
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #5202
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Oooo! What soul level are you? We should do co-op! I enjoy helping out in that game just as much as I enjoy invading/PVP.
That would be fun! I'm not online with my latest file because I'm controlling world tendency. But I never got very far on NG+ with my original game so we could do that. That's at SL105 or so. My husband is on vacation this week and has been kind of hogging the console (also playing Demon's Souls) so I may not be on much. But I'll shoot you a PSN message when I think I'll be around.

In my lastest game I started as a Knight and am trying to rely more on melee and less on magic. I learned from Dark Souls to soul level focusing on stats for particular equipment, then spend souls leveling the shit out of said equipment. Things are a lot easier this time around.

Quote:
Also, I had similar experiences with Nano Breaker and NeverDead. They both had a lot of cool ideas, but the execution couldn't possibly have been any further off. Key difference bein' that El Shaddai wasn't a terrible game.
Yeah, usually with a game, I'm really binary - either I love it and play it to death or within a few hours I go "meh" and abandon it. With El Shaddai I kind of debated about whether I should keep going. There are lots of good things about it, but the fighting was really a lot of work for me.
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #5203
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
That would be fun! I'm not online with my latest file because I'm controlling world tendency. But I never got very far on NG+ with my original game so we could do that. That's at SL105 or so. My husband is on vacation this week and has been kind of hogging the console (also playing Demon's Souls) so I may not be on much. But I'll shoot you a PSN message when I think I'll be around.

In my latest game I started as a Knight and am trying to rely more on melee and less on magic. I learned from Dark Souls to soul level focusing on stats for particular equipment, then spend souls leveling the shit out of said equipment. Things are a lot easier this time around.
If you can just get up to SL115, I could help you with my SL125 Royal, most likely. I was considering leveling up my Temple Knight (pure melee/faith build, aside from archery for certain scenarios) and using her to help you, but if you're playing a Knight, you'd want a good magic build to help you.

Quote:
Yeah, usually with a game, I'm really binary - either I love it and play it to death or within a few hours I go "meh" and abandon it. With El Shaddai I kind of debated about whether I should keep going. There are lots of good things about it, but the fighting was really a lot of work for me.
Admittedly, half the reason I kept playing El Shaddai was to see just how fucked-up the story got, as well as what kind of level designs were lying in wait. The art direction in that game is purely stunning. Also, Lucifer is a badass.
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #5204
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Beat Borderlands 2 last night! Dunno what to play now. I'm going out of the country for 2 weeks on Friday, so maybe I'll finally get back to some DS & PSP games I've been ignoring.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Central in Rosemont, IL (May 16-18)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #5205
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Guardian Heroes: Scantily-Clad 3D Womenz Edition.