Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Taking classes, if it's something reasonable for you to afford, would be a nice start. You could also look up video tutorials online for simple things that don't even have to be clothes.

Here's a page of beginners sewing projects you may be interested in going through and perhaps make something special for your mother as well.

Example:

Scented fluff pockets! Super simple to make, fill it with Potpouri leafs and make your room smell awesome.

You can put some time into learning simple crafts, keep yourself occupied,perhaps impress mother dearest with your budding talents, and when the time comes you are old enough to handle convention business on your own you'll have craft experience behind you and your mother will know you respected her wishes in you not participating in something she views as dangerous.

You may also consider this, gather a group of friends up who would like to go to the convention as well and see if one of their parents would be willing to chaperon for a day. You still may not be allowed to cosplay, but if there's a group of you with an adult around your mother may feel more comfortable with this.

But you cannot push the issue. Being whiny, bratty, or otherwise throwing tantrums will not improve your situation. Your mother isn't suddenly going to have a change of heart if you cry and whine. If you are going to be unable to go to a convention, that's the end of the matter and you need to try and accept that responsibly.
Scented fluff pockets? That sounds awesome.

Quote:
Keep in mind that you can cosplay at places besides conventions. Since she's really opposed to conventions, maybe arrange a cosplay picnic that she can come to? She'd probably feel much more comfortable there since it's more "normal."
She would never.

Quote:
I do suggest getting involved with your school's theater department or community theater. That way you can assist with costumes in a school/community sanctioned enviornment that also looks good on a college application.

Another idea is to join or start a Anime/cosplay/World cultures club at your school/library/community center. It shows commitment and responsibility to go through the proper channels to start a club, then plan a trip to a nearby con not to mention fundraising for the trip.
I probably couldn't do any of those either. Besides, we aren't allowed to make our own clubs at school.

It looks like I am going to have to wait--or at least until I'm about 15 or 16...
*sigh* Thanks for all the help. I'll send a message to get this account deactivated pretty soon. ;w;

Unread 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Can I just say this.. just because you don't have any cosplays at the moment, does NOT mean you have to leave this site. To my knowledge, this isn't some all exclusive club or anything.

You can still use this site as a way to keep in contact with people who have similar interests, as a point of research, to learn etc.
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Can I just say this.. just because you don't have any cosplays at the moment, does NOT mean you have to leave this site. To my knowledge, this isn't some all exclusive club or anything.

You can still use this site as a way to keep in contact with people who have similar interests, as a point of research, to learn etc.
Now that you mention it, I might stay, but I dunno how much longer...
I just really feel like, since I'm a "normal person" I don't belong with you awesome cosplayers whom I aspire to join ever so much.
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns

zeldawulffie205: Hey, don't worry, I've been here a while and still haven't finished a cosplay yet. Hoping to get that changed soon, but in the meantime, this is a good place for learning new techniques, getting ideas, and learning about materials and such. Even if you don't make anything yet, you can still learn the "do's and don'ts" of cosplay here, as well as some tips and tricks to remember for the future.

I know I've felt out of place on the Metal Gear forum here, considering I don't even have any pics on my profile, and haven't finished all the games yet. But does that keep me away? Nope, not at all! XD
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Why don't you stay, because you're awesome? Haven't you discussed your Gijinka designs with me? Don't give up!

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Heh. I think I will stay C:
Although not a cosplayer yet I still suppose I could learn much from you guise^^

It'll be a LONG wait, but worth it.
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldawulffie205 View Post
Now that you mention it, I might stay, but I dunno how much longer...
I just really feel like, since I'm a "normal person" I don't belong with you awesome cosplayers whom I aspire to join ever so much.
"Normal"? Well, there's nothing wrong with being normal (mind you, there's nothing wrong with being a little abnormal either, haha.)! You don't have to be an active cosplayer to be a part of this website. This place *to my knowledge* is really for anyone who is interested in the hobby/community/what have you, whether they are an active participant in it or not. ^^ Nobody (at least I hope nobody) will get mad at you for being on this site and not cosplaying. xD Heck, you can gain a lot of cosplay knowledge from here now, even if your mom won't let you cosplay yet.

Believe me, it took me a long time to get my mom even tolerant of anime itself, much less cosplay. Truth be told, I started my cosplay career by convincing my dad to buy me a cosplay while my mom was away on vacation... (do NOT follow my example, I was 12 at the time! XD)

Regardless, I think the best way to go is to not press the issue (she'll just get frustrated and not want you to cosplay even more), and to work on sewing skills for when she will someday let you, or when you turn 18 and can make your own decisions.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
"Normal"? Well, there's nothing wrong with being normal (mind you, there's nothing wrong with being a little abnormal either, haha.)! You don't have to be an active cosplayer to be a part of this website. This place *to my knowledge* is really for anyone who is interested in the hobby/community/what have you, whether they are an active participant in it or not. ^^ Nobody (at least I hope nobody) will get mad at you for being on this site and not cosplaying. xD Heck, you can gain a lot of cosplay knowledge from here now, even if your mom won't let you cosplay yet.

Believe me, it took me a long time to get my mom even tolerant of anime itself, much less cosplay. Truth be told, I started my cosplay career by convincing my dad to buy me a cosplay while my mom was away on vacation... (do NOT follow my example, I was 12 at the time! XD)

Regardless, I think the best way to go is to not press the issue (she'll just get frustrated and not want you to cosplay even more), and to work on sewing skills for when she will someday let you, or when you turn 18 and can make your own decisions.
I agree :') I don't think I wanna go anymore. I can just learn so when I finally can cosplay, I'll know everything >:3
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #24
MirniMausi
Just live more

I wonder why youre mom is so against people on cons, even though she seems to have never attended one. Have you ever asked her what makes her think so negatively about congoers and cons? She doesn't seem informed about it at all, so I really asked myself while reading that where her opposition against cosplayers comes from.

What the others said about sewing practice sounds really good and I'm glad to hear you decided to stay. Don't let your mom destroy your dream of cosplaying. The day you become independent and can finally start cosplaying, you'll surely prove her wrong

~Up Next~
Maybe: Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
I wonder why youre mom is so against people on cons, even though she seems to have never attended one. Have you ever asked her what makes her think so negatively about congoers and cons? She doesn't seem informed about it at all, so I really asked myself while reading that where her opposition against cosplayers comes from.
As someone with a mother who is still somewhat against cosplay (though begrudgingly allows me to partake in it), this is usually the reason. Simply put, they only know what they think they know, and what they think they know is usually wrong. XD My mom was convinced that all anime conventions were overrun with pedophiles and creepy people who have no grasp of reality. She refused to do any research on the matter and continued to believe this opinion. Honestly, the only thing that eventually allowed her to go was a lot of time, and her seeing that I am responsible enough to be able to go to one of these events. At age 13, she let me attend my first convention (a rather small one that had only about 2,500 participants) with my aunt and cousin, then on Sunday (the slowest day) she dropped in to see that everything was to her standards. Again, she still thinks it's weird and creepy, but she's been allowing me to go to them since as long as I go with my aunt. XD Of course, she still refuses to let me go to a large convention like Sakura Con, even though I'll be 16 at the time of Sakura Con '13. Oh well though, I plan to go when I'm 18 (and if I keep up my grades, I might get to go for Saturday only).

The only way to combat stubborn misconceptions is to just be the mature one about it, and show that regardless of what they think the rest of the community is like, that you can handle it and be safe.

So there's more of my spiel on it. *shrug* I suppose some of the precautions comes from concern, but hopefully your mother will come around soon, OP. ^^

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
MirniMausi
Just live more

Oh, I see. Kinda sad that people still have such prejudices about cosplayers. I'm in the lucky position to have parents who are finde with cosplay and even interested in my hobby.
But I think I can imagine at least a tiny bit how it feels.

~Up Next~
Maybe: Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Oh, I see. Kinda sad that people still have such prejudices about cosplayers. I'm in the lucky position to have parents who are finde with cosplay and even interested in my hobby.
It SUCKS. Feels totally awful.
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Yes, it's frustrating to say the least. XD However, I managed, and at least now I'm allowed to cosplay (so long as my mom approves the outfit)! It's great that you have supportive parents in that aspect.~

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Thanks a lot guys!
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
Libis

Yeah, don't worry--you've got plenty of time. I didn't start costuming until I was 19 and had had a job for quite some time. Even then, I've only made one costume per year, and the latest one looks like it's going to take two years. That doesn't mean that I didn't read cosplay and steampunk websites at 12.

Another good starter sewing project is square pillows. Start with plain ones and then keep ante-ing up the decoration. You could even make them super nerdy and eventually applique on video game and anime symbols. Then you could move up to blankets or simple clothing. Try qwik sew patterns or the easy rated vogue patterns after you have a strong handle on pillows. Simple plush animals or Christmas/holiday decorations can also be a great start after perfecting square pillow skills.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote