Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Closed Thread
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #106
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I THINK you enter into Journeyman once you win at a masquerade. Novices are usually first-timers/people who haven't won any awards yet. If it was a small award like an honourable mention or best prop/wig you could probably enter Novice at a bigger con, but something larger like that I'm pretty sure it makes you a Journeyman now.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Unread 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #107
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
so... I just won Best Novice at Ochiba-con... what level will I have to enter at Con-G now? Journeyman? and what about Anime North? Journeyman as well or can I go Novice there still since its International and Ochiba and Con-G are... National? Provincial? something like that...
I would suggest you enter Con-G's masq as a journeyman, since they have a (relatively) similarly sized masquerade. As for Anime North, since it's a much larger and tougher competition, you could still enter as a novice (though if you also won something at Con-G as a journeyman, I'd say do AN as a journeyman). I think winning 2 awards at smaller masqs is pushing it.
However, you can always ask the masquerade staff when you register or during workmanship judging what they suggest for you, based on your past experience and what you plan to enter.
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #108
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCanuck View Post
They were sent out this evening! I'm terribly sorry for the delay!
hey, I was just wondering if all of them got sent out or if there was any you guys had that weren't legible enough to send out, because I have yet to receive an e-mail for my pre-reg from Con-bravo.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #109
zeekayart
derp

Hey! Does anyone in this thread know if Con-G's artist alley reg opens at 12 midnight tonight? Or is it later on in the day? Just asking because I have 8am class and would like to have a good amount of sleep for my presentation, but if it means artist alley signup I'll be staying up for sure

Edit: Ah just noticed the sheet! Nevermind !

Edit: Annnnnd sent! Here's hoping I get accepted !
☐ ConBravo!
☐ Otakuthon
☐ Youmacon

2014 Costume Plans
?????????????????i

Last edited by zeekayart : 09-30-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #110
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash1616 View Post
hey, I was just wondering if all of them got sent out or if there was any you guys had that weren't legible enough to send out, because I have yet to receive an e-mail for my pre-reg from Con-bravo.
They have all been sent out!
However, I did get 5 bounces from email addresses that I could not quite make out. I gave 'em my best guess, but looks like I got some of them wrong.

If you pre-regged while at ConBravo 2012 and did not receive your confirmation, please email me at info[at]con-g(dot)com from the address you wrote down on the paper pre-reg form so I can check for you.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #111
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCanuck View Post
They have all been sent out!
However, I did get 5 bounces from email addresses that I could not quite make out. I gave 'em my best guess, but looks like I got some of them wrong.

If you pre-regged while at ConBravo 2012 and did not receive your confirmation, please email me at info[at]con-g(dot)com from the address you wrote down on the paper pre-reg form so I can check for you.
I sent e-mail, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't read mine, I have atrocious writing (I should be doctor with how bad it is).
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #112
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

For those of us who bought our pre-reg at cons, when does our actual pre-reg email/ticket get sent out?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #113
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Most of us have place holder emails for confirmation toff our tickets (but not the tickets themself.)

Quote:
Your ticket will be emailed to you once pre-registration officially opens in the fall, and will be sent to this same email address.
I'm guessing November considering the online pre-reg opened only yeasterday.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 10-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #114
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I think I got mine way back in June.

Edit: just read back and in big letters THIS IS NOT A TICKET

oopsie

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain

Last edited by SuperBee : 10-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #115
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!
OMG
-SCREAMING-

Im going to the Anime North halloween festival will I be able to buy the weekend ticket there 8D ?
Holy asdfghjkl hopefully I can go to this omg how do I words asdfghjkl DD
(hehe you can see how happy I am XD)

Black Widow (escape with Steve ver.), Captain America 2 - In progress

Halloween 2014:
Black Widow (Falcon's house ver.), Captain America 2 - Finished

Winter 2014:
Elsa, Frozen - In progress

Others:
Black Widow, Captain America 2 ver.
Black Widow (Leather jacket ver.), Captain America 2
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #116
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
I would suggest you enter Con-G's masq as a journeyman, since they have a (relatively) similarly sized masquerade. As for Anime North, since it's a much larger and tougher competition, you could still enter as a novice (though if you also won something at Con-G as a journeyman, I'd say do AN as a journeyman). I think winning 2 awards at smaller masqs is pushing it.
However, you can always ask the masquerade staff when you register or during workmanship judging what they suggest for you, based on your past experience and what you plan to enter.
I've been talking to people about this on Facebook, and since Ochiba-con and Con-G are both Regional, I would indeed be Journeyman for Con-G... but for AN, being International, I could enter 2 levels down (but since there only is one, I can enter Novice) since its 2 levels up... To my understanding this also applies if I win something at Con-G... I know the general standing is to compete at the level of the highest member in your group, but i will be with someone who's also competing at Con-G in Novice, and a first timer at Anime North... We will make up our minds closer, but I'm pretty sure if we go to enter Journeyman it will be a case that we DON'T tell our first timer because he will likely back out...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #117
novaraven1

you could just compete at the level you think your skills are at. if you are costuming at a master level, even if it's your first time, there is nothing to stop you from entering that category. not telling your group member what level you're entering at seems silly to me. If their costume is the same quality as the rest of the group they should have no problem entering as a journeyman too and should feel they deserve to be there. delaying moving up to the next level seems like you're trying to keep an unfair advantage over others.
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #118
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
you could just compete at the level you think your skills are at. if you are costuming at a master level, even if it's your first time, there is nothing to stop you from entering that category. not telling your group member what level you're entering at seems silly to me. If their costume is the same quality as the rest of the group they should have no problem entering as a journeyman too and should feel they deserve to be there. delaying moving up to the next level seems like you're trying to keep an unfair advantage over others.
I'm making all the costumes, he's just my model...
And its NOT 'delaying moving up' to the next level, nor is it taking 'unfair advantage of others'... I am NOT a Master, or even an Artisan, in fact, I don't feel like I am even worthy of Jouneyman, my Novice 'win' was in a very small (MAYBE 15 entries) event, all entries were novice and first timers (I was the only one with sound even), I'm being fair enough entering Journeyman where I will get my ass kicked at Con-G and other cons, I think its fair to enter myself and my models in Novice at AN seeing as hows its on the same level as WorldCon and CostumeCon, both events that if I even TRIED to enter (which I won't because its far too intimidating), even if there was something lower then Novice, I would be laughed at in...

Last edited by Rainbowgasm : 10-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #119
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Actually CostumeCon and WorldCon are considered a level above AN and Fanexpo. Because your getting a lot more people that are master level for years going to it and they recommend going down a level for that because the competition is so high. lol

That being a said I still feel a novice win regardless of the con counts everywhere you go as you only need 1 win to advance to Journeyman as you have proven your can do costumes.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 10-15-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #120
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Actually CostumeCon and WorldCon are considered a level above AN and Fanexpo. Because your getting a lot more people that are master level for years going to it and they recommend going down a level for that because the competition is so high. lol

That being a said I still feel a novice win regardless of the con counts everywhere you go as you only need 1 win to advance to Journeyman as you have proven your can do costumes.
on the AN website, it says its International and on the same level as WorldCon and CostumeCon...

and I quote "Thanks to the hard work of the Masquerade Team and the amazing skill shown by contestants, as of 2010, the Anime North Masquerade has the honour of being officially recognized by the International Costumers' Guild (ICG). This means that those who win Best in Show at Anime North are of the same standing as a winner of Best in Show at a Worldcon and Costume-Con."

I dont feel a win at Ochiba-con despite the '1 win' is really enough to show I know what I'm doing (at Anime North the same costume got nothing with judges commenting on how unprofessional my finishing was and telling me that just about everything was wrong with it...), Ochiba-con is about the smallest contest you will see, and I'm not even sure if its recognized as a REGIONAL event let alone on the same level as Con-G and ConBravo... I feel like I'm not a Journeyman (I know people much better then me who have never won in Novice, just because they never entered something as tiny as Ochiba-con), but I understand how it works that I HAVE to, regardless, make the jump for other regional events, but when it comes to Anime North, staff has CONFIRMED I could enter Novice... IF I win something at Con-G (Which I HIGHLY doubt as I am NOT a Journeyman in skill level, regardless of what my prize says...), I might change my mind, but I feel like it wouldn't even be worth entering at Anime North if I was forced to be Journeyman... leave out the embarrassment of being told again what's wrong with my cosplays and basically that I don't belong (they didn't actually SAY that but that's the feeling I got pretty much) on the stage that's Anime North...
'A win is a win' okay but when it comes to INTERNATIONAL competition, I'm not even good enough to be a Novice... but I try...
Closed Thread