Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
Oh wow this is awesome! Looks like I can try this as i need to make this but I'm not good at math or cant draw a straight line lol. Keep up the good work also a material list would be awesome
Dont worry! I believe that you can make this. This sword is fairly simple. The hardest part was mapping out the correct dimensions. But if you want I can send you the measurements.
I will also update the first post of the materials I have used so far and keep updating it.

Quote:
Wholy bajebus dude!! That's wicked so far..Oh yea love the N64 in the older posts btw lol
Thanks thanks! hahaha yeah I was in the mood to play N64. Old school is the best school lol

Quote:
Very nicely done!!
Thank you very much!
Takaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Jeansl10
AerisFang

Be extremely careful when painting it! Some paints can melt foam REALLY quickly...

Make sure you test your paint on a scrap piece before, I would really suck to ruin such a great project!
Jeansl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeansl10 View Post
Be extremely careful when painting it! Some paints can melt foam REALLY quickly...

Make sure you test your paint on a scrap piece before, I would really suck to ruin such a great project!
This is easy to fix..Use white glue (the kind you used in school that was liquidy) and a paintbrush..Paint the glue on, then use spray paint..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeansl10 View Post

That is very very true, but just like JasonTerror said, all you need to do is make sure to apply a sealer before painting. I hope to start sealing this weekend so I will show my process on how I do that.
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Diegator
User of Swords

Wow, really awesome job! I made the "open" base sword some time ago, but cut everything by hand using a box cutter... not even close to being as clean as your cuts. Wish I had read this back in 2005
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegator View Post
Wow, really awesome job! I made the "open" base sword some time ago, but cut everything by hand using a box cutter... not even close to being as clean as your cuts. Wish I had read this back in 2005
I honestly give lots of props (pun not intended lol) to the people who free hand it. that takes a good eye and a lot of skill. Two things I lack. lol
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

This is looking amazing. I've been meaning to remake one, but watching your progress makes mine look like too much work haha. I really enjoy watching you make this, This is going to turn out beautiful! Keep up the good work! ^___^!

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Very clean design and construction, hot wire cutters are definitely the way to go for quick clean edges in foam.

Even though the entire piece is foam, I'd still recommend some sort of core support rod, especially since you have no plans to make the individual swords detachable. What ever type of hard coat finish you decide upon could easily get too heavy for a simple foam hilt to handle and it would be a shame for the piece to snap after all the work you've put into it.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chergnomebyl View Post
This is looking amazing. I've been meaning to remake one, but watching your progress makes mine look like too much work haha. I really enjoy watching you make this, This is going to turn out beautiful! Keep up the good work! ^___^!
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Very clean design and construction, hot wire cutters are definitely the way to go for quick clean edges in foam.

Even though the entire piece is foam, I'd still recommend some sort of core support rod, especially since you have no plans to make the individual swords detachable. What ever type of hard coat finish you decide upon could easily get too heavy for a simple foam hilt to handle and it would be a shame for the piece to snap after all the work you've put into it.
I fully agree and plan on putting inner supports. That's the main reason for cutting all the pieces in half, so that I can add support through out the sword.
As for the hard coat finish, I will not be adding a hard coat to the whole sword, the weight will just be too unrealistic. Instead I might just be adding a hard coat to the blade edge, since that will be the weakest point and most susceptible to damage.
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #25
Takaaaa

Late update.
Oct 5

So today was dedicated to adding the inner support.

I decided to add small ribs on the inside to add a bit more support.

Then I used Gorilla Glue to glue it together. and let it dry

Unread 10-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #26
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takaaaa View Post
Dont worry! I believe that you can make this. This sword is fairly simple. The hardest part was mapping out the correct dimensions. But if you want I can send you the measurements.
I will also update the first post of the materials I have used so far and keep updating it.
Thank you! knowing the materials help big time as I need to make this but his Kingdom Hearts 2 version where its wrapped up and yes if you can pm the measurements of each sword.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #27
Takaaaa

So today I realized that I added too much glue and spent almost 2hours sanding away the extra glue. that was the biggest pain in the butt! LOL

Other then that, I final sanded the pieces and prepped it to be sealed.
Now people use different stuff to seal the foam but for me, I always use KILZ2. Becareful, the Orignal KILZ is oil-base and wont work, but KILZ2 is water-base.

I like to do a few coats. Tomw will be spend adding more coats then I can make the blade guard and paint.
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #28
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
Thank you! knowing the materials help big time as I need to make this but his Kingdom Hearts 2 version where its wrapped up and yes if you can pm the measurements of each sword.
Ok I will send you the final measurements, once I glue them all together.
Unread 10-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #29
Takaaaa

Ok! Sorry for the late update but all I did for the past 3 days was keep adding layers of KILZ2 to seal the foam.

One thing that happened is that when I glued the bottom blade together some glue got on the wood that was used to clap the pieces together, and was stuck. So it took a HUGE chunk out of the foam, but nothing a little body filler cant fix.

I filled it and sanded it, pictures will come later.

So I also wet sanded the other pieces to get them smooth and ready for filler primer to get rid of all the tine imperfections

Also added craft foam to the rounded piece, dont worry I will paint it. red craft foam is all I had.

and finally! I glued the top serrated blade to the bottom blade!!

Unread 10-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Video Kozo
Prop master

Stupid trick

i had that happen to me too... glued my prop to the wodden splints... while clamping...

i learned from a furneture maker one of hiss stupid tricke... WAX Paper... between the wood and your glued peice... wax side on the propper side... works great and costs little...

even with urathane glue..
Video Kozo is offline   Reply With Quote