Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Passing time at a Convention:

I'm curious what most people do to pass the time at a convention.I've only gone to two thus far, but there's always a certain time where nothing is going on really, or there is a lack of cosplays you want to take a picture of. My idea is that you have some con-related fun, like before I wanted to play a "Photo Scavenger" hunt with my room-mates to see who could take a picture of everything on the list. This coming convention I won't be able to do much, at least not with the fact I'll be going with my girlfriend so I think it'd be finished in no time if we actually did that. (only because we could take pictures of the same people and the contest would end flat like that). Anyone else have anything they would do to pass time? Like playing a game with room-mates, "Fear Factor" taste-testing, or touring the city?
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Ithlia
Row row fight the powa

Ooo the photo scavenger hunt sounds really cool actually!

Anyway, I usually just walk around the convention with people, that usually passes the time quickly. I also try to fill my time with doing other things such as a photoshoot or something. I mean if worse comes to worse, you could just walk around and check out what panels are going on

Cosplay Plans:
-Mako (Kill la Kill)
-Popstar Ahri (League of Legends)
-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 5)
-Poison (Final Fight)

My Facebook Page:Facebook.com/IthliaOfficial
My DeviantArt:DeviantArt
My Tumblr:Tumblr
Ithlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Randommmmm danciiinnnnng.....? Put on a song everyone knows and dance.

Anime viewing room maybe? Video game room? If you're with your friends, you can just relax and chat. Maybe go to the dealers room and look around? That's fun. Or talk to the people in the artists alley.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
sugarpunch18
User is now Unknowable

I do dislike the Dead Spots in my schedule during cons. =_=;

I have exactly as much con experience as you but whenever we hit a Dead Spot my group and I usually grab a bite to eat at eateries overly crowded with fellow cosplayers, if not to eat than to just catch the looks on the faces of normal families eating there too! XD

That, or we check out the cosplay gatherings going on at the time. Those are always entertaining as a group of cosplayers put in one place always guarantees that shenanigans will ensue.
~LoveMeUniform!Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)
sugarpunch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
MotherSilver

Oh my boyfriend and I usually talk to our friends about what's happened at the con so far or what is going to happen! We also like to point out awesome cosplays, especially ones we recognize, or even ones we don't we talk about to try and remember where we've seen it before. We also like to randomly wander the dealers room and the artist alley, checking wares even though after two or three times we know what they have. It's still nice to window shop sometimes! :3
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

If people-watching isn't what you had in mind, and you've already hit the Alley/Dealer's/Games room and done what you want there, play a game!

My con buddies always bring a deck of cards or two, and we've often made new friends by having others jump into the game!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

When there's a space of time where there's nothing really going on (at least nothing I'm interested in), I'll take a breather in my hotel room and have a snack/watch some TV. At a convention I go to (Anime Crossroads), there's a courtyard where you can find people playing stuff like "extreme duck duck goose," which is fun, so maybe if there's an area like that, see what people are up to.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
ghosgreen

I usually hit artist alley or go look for my friends and hang out. Sometimes I make new friends along the way and I hang out with them for a bit. Really it's just talking story with people, talking shop, costumes, the con it self. Or if there is absolutely nothing to do go recuperate in the hotel for a few hours. Being on your feet for a day and a day and a half and in cosplay takes a lot of you. So rest is always good too and a nice shower.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

The last con I went to, this was what I did to both rest, eat a few snacks, and still instigate a few photoshoots.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Libis

We usually get a snack, talk to people, or wander the con seeing what there is to be seen. Sometimes we'll pop into a random panel that we weren't planning just for the random. Sometimes we'll go outside and do a mini photoshoot. Lots of people at our con also play duck duck goose during quiet moments, or dance in out of the way spots.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Normally I would go back to my hotel room and rest up or eat. If I have friends (also with nothing to do) I would just hang out and people watch.
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

For the smaller con I attend, there are an awful lot of these times which are devoid of things my group wants to see. Usually we just flop down somewhere out of the way and pull out our DSs. This year we might also go hang out in the hot tub at our hotel for a bit.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I have this MP3 player that has an outside speaker on it, I just used that and listened to music without headphones (used it with the speaker so I could hear things around me as well)
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

If there's no panel I'm interested in at the moment and I don't feel a need for alone time, I tend to put on (or keep on) a costume and just hang out in a main area of the con, watching people (or not) in an in-character way, which tends to amuse people. Like at my last con, I spent some time dressed as Lunatic, hanging out by a balcony railing staring at the people coming up and down the escalators with my bowgun at the ready. I also spent some time as MakubeX, mostly ignoring people while I "programmed" (actually I was writing fanfic) on my laptop. Both made a few people do double-takes and come over to get a pic.
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Kenkaya

Wander the dealer's hall/artist's alley, people watch, pop into a random panel I wasn't planning on going to, check out the video/gaming rooms... there's honestly so much to do that even downtime is rarely boring for me at a con. A couple of my friends like to bring their DS's and sit off to the side when they have nothing to do.