Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Relius Clover
Beginner Cosplayer

Unhappy Cosplays that make you question your ability to cosplay

So recently I've been seeing a lot of really good cosplays for characters I plan on cosplaying and it makes me feel...ugh I can't come up with the word but lacking. Eh that's not it either but I just feel like mine won't be as good or liked as much. I haven't actually fully cosplayed yet but I am going to my first con in January so I don't know if it's just pre-con anxiety? I know this probably seems silly and pointless but I thought I could post this here and maybe see if anyone could give me any advice or whatever. I'd appreciate any feedback, hope to hear from someone.
Currently working on:
Dad Egbert (Homestuck)-10%
ErisolSprite (Homestuck)-10%
Male!Aranea Serket (Homestuck)-30%
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4)-80%
Male!Taiwan (Hetalia)-20%
2P!Russia (Hetalia)-10%
Gakuen!Turkey (Hetalia)-20%
The Signless (Homestuck)-10%
Relius Clover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

Don't get discouraged. Pressure will neither do yourself or your costume any good. It's okay to look at other cosplayers who did the same costume as you and check how they've done it, but don't compare your costume to them. As long as you put your heart into your cosplay and feel good while wearing it, you'll be fine. Cosplay is not a contest, except for the time you actually attend one. It's about fun. Please remember that^^

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Don't feel bad about it. I've been costuming for eleven years, have won awards for my cosume up to the master level, and do commission work, but I still get nervous about walking out in cosplay.

If this is going to be your first real cosplay, the nerves will probably be even worse. I remember my first time out in cosplay and I was so scared someone was going to walk up to me and rip my costume apart (figuratively speaking...I hope no one would actually rip someone elses costume while it's on their body!). But instead, no one said anything but nice things to me. I was in a group with my three brothers and my sister-in-law (then my older brother's girlfriend) and we were at the Star Wars Celebration II. I think I had two things going for me that time: my mom helped make those costumes, she's where I learned so much of what I do, and my younger brother was a very screen accurate Darth Maul (minus the boots), so everyone was focusing on his make-up and horns as opposed to the things that might have been wrong. But honestly, most of the time the things you consider flaws in your costumes are things no one else notices.

In all, just hold your head high and be happy and proud with what you've done. Everyone has to start somewhere and you have nowhere to go but up. I still see people sometimes that make my jaw drop and make me second guess cosplaying. And then I remember how much I love to make costumes and how much fun I have wearing them and relax.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
usuyukisou

Well, yes, maybe it sometimes makes me feel not up to par, but it's also the entire reason why I began cosplaying in the first place --- because some people can make phenomenal costumes. Try to use the amazing cosplays you see as inspiration to keep improving
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
Well, yes, maybe it sometimes makes me feel not up to par, but it's also the entire reason why I began cosplaying in the first place --- because some people can make phenomenal costumes. Try to use the amazing cosplays you see as inspiration to keep improving
^THIS.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

I get scared all the time. You just do not compare yourself to anyone because then it will make you feel worse. No one makes an awesome cosplay the first time unless you buy or commission it. If you think it's good, then it's good. Cosplaying is for fun and is not a competition.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Just remember that you're your own worst critic, and that people are most often much more preoccupied with themselves than they are with you. Just relax and have fun. You will get better with time, so as that process happens, just enjoy yourself.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
SA2R
King of the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
Just remember that you're your own worst critic, and that people are most often much more preoccupied with themselves than they are with you. Just relax and have fun. You will get better with time, so as that process happens, just enjoy yourself.

What they said :3
We all have to start somewhere. The good cosplays you were seeing were most likely very experienced. Don't be afraid :3

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

If you feel good in your Cosplay and think you look good. Who cares what others think.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Ithlia
Row row fight the powa

Don't worry about it I honestly look at the better ones and try to figure out how they made their costume. Heck, try and ask them how they did things to see if they aren't an elitist and will actually help you haha XD

I sometimes get discouraged to, especially if the one cosplayer I look up to and admire cosplays as someone I may want to do one year. I just think that I can be just as good as that, but in my own way. Everyone has their own interpretations to bringing a character to life, so no two cosplays are the same Never feel down about it though, just use them as inspiration to challenge yourself!

Cosplay Plans:
-Mako (Kill la Kill)
-Popstar Ahri (League of Legends)
-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 5)
-Poison (Final Fight)

My Facebook Page:Facebook.com/IthliaOfficial
My DeviantArt:DeviantArt
My Tumblr:Tumblr
Ithlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Honestly, you really don't need to worry all too much. Namely if you're cosplaying a character who isn't very well-known/cosplayed. But in the case you are, just don't worry about it. The chances are that they're just a more experienced cosplayer than you, and with a few years you can be as good as them. I've seen some cases where if you cosplay the same character you'll avoid each other like the plague, but all I can say is just know they're as much of a fan as you and could be a possible new friend! Also good luck on your first convention!
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
demifiend
Anonkira be praised...

One of my favorite costumes was Envy, from FMA. I decided to kick it up a notch, so I did Thane Krios from Mass Effect 2.
If I can do it, anybody can. Just work hard and never accept "good enough". Strive for excellence and it will be your's in due time.
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #13
ChaosFoxCostuming

What your feeling is normal especially if it's going to be your first real costume. I still get nervous and I still go through the phases where I look at other cosplayers and think that they did such an amazing job while I didn't. If looking at the picture's is making your self esteem go down just don't look at them for now and keep working on perfecting your own costume. The cosplay community is a generally place and people don't tend to be rude about costume's and it always seems to be very diverse in skill level. I see quite a few newbies, some people who you can tell are getting the hang of things and then more experienced cosplayers every con I go to. There all usually nice people and not out to judge you. I've been costuming for awhile now and I notice newbies tend to get intimidated by me but I was once in your spot as well so trust me were not judging you everyone starts of somewhere.
ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
starnes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relius Clover View Post
So recently I've been seeing a lot of really good cosplays for characters I plan on cosplaying and it makes me feel...ugh I can't come up with the word but lacking. Eh that's not it either but I just feel like mine won't be as good or liked as much. I haven't actually fully cosplayed yet but I am going to my first con in January so I don't know if it's just pre-con anxiety? I know this probably seems silly and pointless but I thought I could post this here and maybe see if anyone could give me any advice or whatever. I'd appreciate any feedback, hope to hear from someone.
your going to ichibon con too? my first attempt at cosplaying was at ichibon con this past january. i did a S.T.A.R.S. uniform from resident evil.
starnes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Relius Clover
Beginner Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnes82 View Post
your going to ichibon con too? my first attempt at cosplaying was at ichibon con this past january. i did a S.T.A.R.S. uniform from resident evil.
Oh really? I'm looking for people to do Resident Evil cosplays with.

Also thank you everyone, for your support and wisdom. I think after I go to the con I'll feel good about myself even more.
Currently working on:
Dad Egbert (Homestuck)-10%
ErisolSprite (Homestuck)-10%
Male!Aranea Serket (Homestuck)-30%
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4)-80%
Male!Taiwan (Hetalia)-20%
2P!Russia (Hetalia)-10%
Gakuen!Turkey (Hetalia)-20%
The Signless (Homestuck)-10%
Relius Clover is offline   Reply With Quote