Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Help with Edea's dress

I am working on getting stuff to make my cosplay of Edea Kramer from Final Fantasy. I need some help on her dress and gradient dyeing her dress.

Photos of Edea - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...09772&type= 3

Her dress is just like Morticia's(Addams's Family) or Elvira's(Mistress of Darkness) dresses(close fitted) and I tried finding patterns for them but they told me both had ones but are out-of-print now so I need help finding them or a alternative to them. I found Morticia's dress pattern on a site but the biggest size is sold out. I watched a video on how someone made it but what they used as a pattern confused me. It was a snug/tight tanktop and a fitted skirt I think. If anyone can link me to either pattern with size 22 or higher that would help out alot. Was thinking about getting their Halloween costumes and using them as bases but both are made out of some kinda of material that dont have much give to it. The gloves sleeves I already figured out its just the dress part im stuck on.

Edea has this purple or two tone purple gradient going down the bottom on the dress. I am going to make this dress out of black knit or broadcloth fabric and wondered if its possible to dye the purple to the black or should I use white fabric at first and dye it the purple on the bottom and then the black on the top? I know Polyester doesnt dye well so I'm going to be using at least a fabric with 60% cotton

Thanks in advance for anyhelp

Last edited by Rangiku12 : 10-08-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
myalchod
reflections and dreams

You can't dye black fabric, and trying to bleach it to subsequently dye is one of those things that stands a good chance of not cooperating. Your best bet is either to start with a purple and dye the black gradient in, or to start with white, dye the whole shebang to the lightest shade you'll want, and then grade the other colours on top of that.
If you're looking at a cotton/poly blend, pick up a swatch and test it in dye first (though I'd recommend that regardless of fibre content). Blends can dye strangely, and black is one of the more finicky colours to dye (at least, to a good true black). Try to find a fabric with as little synthetic in it as possible, as if the synthetic won't dye it'll make your overall colour lighter -- not so good if you need black! And you'll want a fabric with stretch, so some kind of knit rather than a broadcloth (which is a nonstretch flat weave) would work better. There are a number of different kinds of knits out there; your pattern should offer advice, or if you're lucky someone on here with more experience working with knits than I might offer input. XD

Have you tried looking on eBay? I know out of print patterns tend to crop up on there. Either way, good luck!
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I thought so Thanks so much! I will make it with a white knit fabric and dye it black and the two purples.

I havent looked on ebay since i cant use it but will look elsewhere for the patterns

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Unfortunately broadcloth is...no. It will wrinkle and look cheap. Cotton knit is a decent fabric for this, but as its form fitting it will show any bodily flaw. On any type of body, so be sure to wear body smoothing undergarments!

If you are to go the dying route, start with a dark purple fabric and dye to black. There will be no proper lightening methods for that much for the kind of fabric you want, and starting from white is just not needed (And most dyes will only go to a dark gray shade if trying to go from white to black)

Here's a basic of basic dress pattern in which you could deepen the front neckline into a deep V or alter the skirt longer/tighter/etc
http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3710-prod...p?page_id=3023

Another basic dress pattern, this time with princess seams that would work well with less stretchy fabrics
http://www.simplicity.com/p-6167-mis...swear.aspx#t-2

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7977-bur...ing-dress.aspx

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7208-bur...ing-dress.aspx
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I own the first two patterns you suggest already Thank you I hadn't though of them that way. I see broadcloth is not good for making dresses? I made a skirt out of it and turned out ok but that's fine I think I can find a good knit. Thanks for the advice on dyeing the fabric

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)