Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Overprotectives VS. Cosplay

Has ever someone (like your parents, grandparents or others, even friends) been overprotective to you about any cosplay you've ever worn? Like saying "You'll get a cold with that skin-showing suit" or "You'll get hurt doing that coreography" or "Don't go with that sword or you'll get hurt" or something similar?

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 10-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Hmm, hasn't really happend to me, but my mother does always warn me not to ruin my feet wearing stilettos for cosplay purposes. |D
In progress:
| Loki Laevatein - 95%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Rin Matsuoka - 75%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

The only revealing cosplay I've ever worn, my mom was entirely fine with it. She knows I can handle myself. And, I mean, I was in a crowded hotel (you seriously couldn't move without hitting somebody), not in a dark back alley.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

In my case I had no problem at the moment since I'm just starting, but when a friend saw my cosplay shirt he said: "Is it short like in the pic?"

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
The only revealing cosplay I've ever worn, my mom was entirely fine with it. She knows I can handle myself. And, I mean, I was in a crowded hotel (you seriously couldn't move without hitting somebody), not in a dark back alley.
The amount of awful things happening at conventions is astounding. A friend of mine worked security at cons for years, here's what happened at ONE convention I went to where he worked security:

The artist alley was vandalized after hours, hundreds of dollars in merchandise was stolen. They stole convention security badges and where fallowing young girls around the convention demanding to be let into their room under the grounds of being security and threatening to kick them out of the convention if they didn't. One 13 year old girl was drugged and raped at the rave, if I recall it was by the same guy's as above. The guy's fallowed a group of underage girls into the elevator and to their hotel room and tried to force their way in, again using the stolen press badges as some kind of power to do so. One girl was almost kidnapped in the parking lot, the guy grabbed her from behind while she was at her car when some people from the convention came outside and saw what was going on so he dropped the girl and took off. Live steel was being unchecked the entire weekend, one guy had blades that where attached to upper-arm bands with nothing but a thick fabric rubber band to hold them in place meaning extremely sharp blades where exposed without a sheath and if he so much as nudged into someone they'd get cut by them.

And that's all at ONE convention.

ONE.

Being crowded in a hotel or convention center doesn't make you safe, you'd probably be safer walking alone in a dark alley then crowded together with 3,000+ strangers.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I'm going to have to maintain my opinion that being in a populated area where most people are decent human beings is better than going down a dark alley in someplace like downtown New York.

Yes, there are assholes and creeps at conventions, but there are more non-assholes plus security every corner, at least at the conventions I attend. At the cons I go to, security is very good at their job, and I've only ever run into one creep out of the thousands of people I've seen there.
Even so, like I said, I know how to handle myself. I make sure to be with a trusted friend at all times. If someone makes me uncomfortable, I tell them to back off. If they don't or they try anything, I scream, kick, punch, run, find security, call 911, etc.. I keep a charged phone on me at all times. Yada yada.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Kenkaya

I've never had the overprotective problem, but some of my guy friends have hung around to give the warning glare to any creepy guys who approach me. I really don't mind since they aren't over zealous about it and it feels like I have my own personal security when a creep does come around. One of them told me a mutual friend of ours had a VERY creepy con stalker before I knew them so he (understandably) likes to look out for his female friends at cons. I also knew a dad who was fine with his daughter cosplaying revealing outfits as long as he went to the con with her to make sure nobody tried anything.
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
eebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
I'm going to have to maintain my opinion that being in a populated area where most people are decent human beings is better than going down a dark alley in someplace like downtown New York.

Yes, there are assholes and creeps at conventions, but there are more non-assholes plus security every corner, at least at the conventions I attend. At the cons I go to, security is very good at their job, and I've only ever run into one creep out of the thousands of people I've seen there.
Even so, like I said, I know how to handle myself. I make sure to be with a trusted friend at all times. If someone makes me uncomfortable, I tell them to back off. If they don't or they try anything, I scream, kick, punch, run, find security, call 911, etc.. I keep a charged phone on me at all times. Yada yada.
Downtown New York is a populated area where most people are decent human beings.

I agree though that I've usually felt pretty safe in a convention. Worse comes to worse and there's someone creepy or even dangerous, I can make a scene and it'd become hard for the person to get away with it.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Red (with Subject Unknown)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)
eebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Never really had that problem. If I did though, I'd just ignore my parents. lol I've become quite good at that

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
TheCosplayFox

I've had friends get protective of me in the past but it's more of a don't carry that prop all day long let me hold it for a bit while you rest since I'm a very weak person. I actually once fainted at a con it was so embarrassing but it's nice to know that your friends care about you.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Uhm...I've had cosplay partners get a little upset or overprotective if someone cosplaying the same character picks me up for a photo or something. Other than that...not really
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Every time I make a new weapon/prop for cosplay, my dad ALWAYS gives the same speech about how "You can poke someone's eye out with that! I don't think you should make it!".I realize he has a point, but the topic even comes up with weapons that have no sharp/pointed edges whatsoever. So he tends to be really overprotective of me and the weapons I make.

Gets a little annoying sometimes...

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Downtown New York is a populated area where most people are decent human beings.
Touche. XD

Unread 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I never had to deal with this but I know if I went to a con with certain guy friends, they would be overprotective of me. Apparently I give off the "protect me" vibe. XD

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote