Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
SanRiku

Unhappy Making boots

I'm thinking to cosplay Batgirl for the upcoming Comic Con in India. And I've no clue what to do about the boots. I haven't been able to find yellow boots anywhere. So is there an easy way to make boots? Please suggest materials that'd be easy to find. Is it possible to make boots with plaster cloth? I bought plaster cloth to make the mask and I bought a bit too much..
SanRiku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

If you can find vinyl boots in the style you want, you can spraypaint them yellow with a spraypaint formulated for plastics. Scuff the surface with a scotchbrite pad or fine steel wool before painting, and apply 3 coats following the directions. You want to give the boots about a week to cure before touching them, and even then, they will still probably crack and peel a little bit over the course of a weekend con.

You might be able to find rain boots or galoshes in that batgirl yellow. They won't be as stylish as her boots, but I think they'd work in a pinch.

Unfortunately, boots need to be flexible, while plaster cloth is rigid. So it won't work for this purpose.

Another technique is to make boot-covers. You wear normal shoes, and you sew a thing that looks like a boot, only without any soul to it out of fabric (yellow vinyl fabric if you can find it). You then tack the bottom of the boot cover to the base of your shoes with double stick tape, and maybe a strap or some elastic. You can find details on sewing boot covers with a google search.
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
NyuNyu
CLAMP addict

I would suggest 2 part bootcovers made from a stretch vinyl - Joanns sells it around Halloween, or you can buy it online. (I use MJTrends) They stretch, so you can just pull them up without zippers or anything.

Here is a basic tutorial I made:
http://www.nyunyucosplay.com/?page_id=938
NyuNyu is offline   Reply With Quote