Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #5431
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

(If you guys are spamming I'm spam-replying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
First cosplay ever, I cosplayed Grell...it was kind of a fail.
I attempted to cosplay Alois...it actually was a fail, so I'm currently trying to redeem myself in the world of Kuro cosplay.

My best friend really wants to cosplay Prince Soma, and I agreed to be her Agni (everyone else finds this funny because she and I are white as wonder bread and the two palest people in our cosplay group, but we love the characters.) I'm going to try surprising her with it for christmas, so I'll be sure to get some pictures
Yeeee~ :3 One of the cosplayers I look up to was recently Agni, though she is also white as wonder bread xD She borrowed some kind of makeup from her friend who's a Hannah cosplayer, so if you have any makeup worries, just ask and I'll give you their deviantArts~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
I've avoided posting here for some reason or another. But.
I've done Grell, Alan, Ciel, Sebastian (for very special circumstances; I only do Sebastian on ice) and most recently...the Queen.
How much I hate to crossplay....it's insane. However; people keep requesting me to do it so...eventually I'll have to go the more traditional route and get something to match the anime. The current ballgown is strictly for that: balls. And I could write pages to how uncomfortable all those layers are. But I can safely say, it's one of the only times I've ever felt respected, even if people weren't fond of me.
My go to...despite a lot of critiscism is still Ciel. He was the first real cosplay I ever wore to a con....that I didn't have to dig out of my closet. He's much easier for me to connect with and...very very easy for me to slip into character, which isn't always a good thing. And it's just a plus that I'm a lot more comfortable with his clothes. I can safely say that I have many other versions planned.
I'm avoiding going back to Grell except for a possible indoor photoshoot or something to keep his poor wig from getting screwed.
That's...about it for my spam here I guess.
Your Queen is great o: I wish I could see it in person, same for Ciel, aside from last years' AWA, I haven't seen it really at all Dx (And I really wanna see the new version you did ;-; It looks great from the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
I'll add to the "spam" here I guess... I'm soon to be a Black Butler cosplayer, Sebastian to be exact, and to be honest I am not sure how to feel about it. I mean of course I am excited to be cosplaying one of my favourite characters, don't get me wrong, but I haven't cosplayed something fully "mainstream" since Edward Elric in 2006. I don't count my Kurama cosplay because while he was mainstream, I feel I did something enough to that cosplay to make it stand out enough from the scores and scores of other Kurama cosplayers in the Yu Yu Hakusho fandom. The reason I am so hesitant against mainstream is because I kind of feel like I don't have anything to make Sebastian "mine" at this point - well, I'll be specific, I have nothing to make him "mine" and still enjoy wearing the cosplay. I'm a sucker for his regular, plain jane, butler outfit, and that's the one of course that's been done the most. I know all of this probably sounds pathetic, but hey every cosplayer likes to stand out in some way right? I know I will still absolutely enjoy wearing this costume when I finally get everything together and finished, which will take another three weeks or so, but part of me is still really wishing I had heard of this series I year or so ago ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
I can think of one way to stand out, even in the default butler outfit: Practice your walk and mannerisms. This past weekend my husband pointed out this Sebastian cosplayer who was walking around, balancing a tray in one hand. They had it down pat and it was absolutely amazing.
I agree with the above about your problem; another thing is to find some tiny detail you really want to get right (seeing a Sebastian that actually has a pocketwatch as opposed to just a chain would be cool to me, for example) or some cool prop (I know of a Sebastian who had stuffed cats that they could attach to their coat with velcro, which was absolutely adorable), or try to get mannerisms and voice right (how a Grell cosplayer in our area who, honestly, looks nothing like Grell got absolutely ADORED by everyone).
It's little things that help, honestly, just be creative!

Meanwhile...today, I learned how to waltz (at a school dance no less). Now, I'm in a major Ciel mood, and really want to go ahead and get Ciel and Lizzie for girlfriend and I. That's a cosplay couple I've always wanted to do but never really had anybody to do it with, so now that I do I really want to get it done.
Also, thinking about it, I realize I'm much better suited for Ciel than anything else. Alois I'm just not energetic and outgoing enough for...I just have a small, round face and always look kind of pissed off/depressed unless I'm really happy or smirking (then I look evil; don't ask me why, I dunno xD), which works really well for Ciel. My right eye is smaller than my left (I have no clue why O_o), and, I just look better in shorts and spats than dresses or suits. Also, it's much easier for me to act cocky and just straighten myself into a pose that makes me feel important than to jump around and cling to people. Hmm. It's like I thought when I was first starting out, Ciel is, really, one of the best things for me to cosplay |D /thoughts ramble
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5432
rajamitsu

What the heck, might as well add my spam, too. XD

Anyway, went to Ramencon last weekend. My planned second costume didn't look like it was going to be done in time (then my husband surprised me in that the wig showed up and he got the shirt done), so I was considering taking Ciel as a back up. But, arrrgh, there are so many little pieces! that and my jacket was falling apart. The fabric was wearing down near the shoulders.

However, since we've learned a lot through trial and error, we know what fabric will work better, so, hopefully by ACen, I'll have a refreshed Ciel. Should have actual matching shorts this time, too.

I also am hoping to do a different outfit in the future. It fits right in with what my husband has been wanting to make and I've only seen one other person do it. I'll be keeping that a secret for now, tho'. Ohohoho~
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #5433
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Hm...to add to my earlier spam.
After getting back from AWA and spending a good bit of my time in crossplay...I can safely say...it doesn't suite me. Seriously, all you ladies out there, how in the hell do you put up with that stuff? Anywho, I digress.
For Friday I spent the entire day in aforementioned ballgown for Queen Victoria, minus a hoopskirt until later at the ball. By the time it was time to actually dance, my knee was so shot and my ribs so brusied, I had to deny my Ash a dance and just try to socialize and act as if I wasn't in pain. Dreadfully stupid on my part, however getting to know The Grell Show's Madame Red was an enjoyable experience that I don't regret.
Saturday, plans changed and I spent the day in Ciel; so much more comfortable and so many fantastic comments. I could have done without the creepy fangirls but...eh.I find it interesting that the fastest way to have photos taken is to fall asleep. I slept for least an hour or so in my Sebastian's lap and I was told that for a fact, there were 50 photos taken in about 20 minutes. That was by far one of my best conventions in a while, and had I not spoiled it with attempting Victoria on Sunday in a lolita-esque ensemble, I could have spent another entire day as Ciel and been perfectly content.
Speaking on personal touches...I added to my Ciel cosplay this time around; including a handmade Funtom styled Sebastian rabbit, complete with tail coat and contract, an eyepatch accented in red and gold to match the coat and a red and gold skull cameo that glows in the dark. Hopefully, I can post photos soon of all of my adventures.

PS: Dear Sebastian cosplayers....playing the "let's act like we raped Ciel" game is a little creepy :c
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #5434
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Bah. I'm pretty sure after I test out this version of Gumi, unless I get an amazing reaction out of it, I'm gonna try to do Ciel again. Even though I know my parents will likely eat me if I try to get a third wig for Ciel (you learn from your mistakes..mine is color differences and pickiness), I really do want a good mix-colored one (I would really love it if anyone would tell me of some good ones...I no longer trust the colors shown on eBay). I also don't know what version I would do, since I think the commissioner I was going to have it done by got immediately booked when she reopened them, so...that'll be a challenge, unless I want to try getting someone else to do it.
Though, I'm pretty sure what'll decide this is if my girlfriend or another friend says they'll do it with me. (gf has told me she'll be Slenderwoman at our con in March...but maybe giving her puppy eyes long enough will make her be Lizzie with me. Maybe...)
..it also ticks me off that, even though I could totally afford to do so, my parents wouldn't let me buy her Elizabeth wig for her because they would think I was spending too much on somebody else. Then, when I go to buy cosplays, they tell me I can spend my money on what I want. That isn't a mixed message at all..
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #5435
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

This is pretty much the wig my friend got for her Ciel cosplay. It's really nice, a good blend of colors, and soft.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #5436
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I come bearing progress of another Ciel commission I'm working on (I get commissioned for him quite a bit). It's the default outfit he has in season two (though I only know that from pictures since I don't care for the anime, I'm totally a fan of the manga only). The flash on my camera really ruins the color of the jacket and no matter how I tried to correct it, it didn't do the color justice. And the hips of my dress form are bigger than the client's even when fully closed, so the jacket doesn't button all the way down for pictures. I'm about 75% done with this costume and will be finishing it up hopefully by Sunday so it can make its trip to Australia to its new home.
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #5437
POOTERS

cosplaying as Sebastian for NYCC!!! yay

Next: Anime Central(5/2014), FanimeCon(5/3014), Anime Expo(7/2014)
POOTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #5438
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Well, I'm coming back with more progress on the newest Ciel commission I have been working on. All that's left are to sew the buttons on the shirt and fix the black bands on the sleeves. I think it's turning out rather nicely though.

Jacket Front
Jacket Back
Shirt and Vest
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #5439
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Well, I'm coming back with more progress on the newest Ciel commission I have been working on. All that's left are to sew the buttons on the shirt and fix the black bands on the sleeves. I think it's turning out rather nicely though.

Jacket Front
Jacket Back
Shirt and Vest
It looks very nice! I have to agree with the customer though, I thought at first the sleeve...lines? were too far apart too ^^ Oh well~ It looks great, I'm sure they'll be pleased :3
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #5440
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I am fixing the sleeves today or tomorrow so I can mail it to Australia. It was hard to decide the width for the stripes because the anime isn't totally consistent. It's a very easy fix, so it won't take any time to do. I'm just happy she's pleased with the results so far. This marks the fourth Ciel costume I've made (third on commission, the first was my best friend's costume). I love making Kuroshitsuji costumes. Even though I prefer the manga, the anime does have some costumes I like, and I think this newest commission is one of them.
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #5441
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
I am fixing the sleeves today or tomorrow so I can mail it to Australia. It was hard to decide the width for the stripes because the anime isn't totally consistent. It's a very easy fix, so it won't take any time to do. I'm just happy she's pleased with the results so far. This marks the fourth Ciel costume I've made (third on commission, the first was my best friend's costume). I love making Kuroshitsuji costumes. Even though I prefer the manga, the anime does have some costumes I like, and I think this newest commission is one of them.
I just like the anime costume-wise because sometimes screenshots can provide more reference than several panels can: on a computer or TV screen, even if just viewing the outfit from afar or from different angles, you have to have a pretty good amount of detail visible, or it'll look tacky and a bit lazy. In a manga, since you have to usually have a lot of little panels, they can sometimes skimp on showing the details of the outfit and have it turn out alright.
My biggest irk about this, though, is, of course, the one single costume of Ciel's from the second season I would be honored to wear only shows up for around half an episode, and since the episode focuses on Claude vs. Sebastian, within that episode you get little to no references. It's also the one that either A) doesn't have a fullsize reference sheet, and it is the one and only original outfit that I've seen that doesn't, or B) It just isn't scanned and on the internet.
Maybe I could go to a commissioner that knows the style of Kuroshitsuji and together we could make up how we would want stuff like the back and the ends of the sleeves to look, but right now I'd just rather not.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #5442
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

See I'm just not a fan of the anime at all. The only thing I actually liked about season two was that Gazette did one of the theme songs (and I've LOVED that band for about ten years now). I just like the manga, the art, the story...that's just me.

But as for the angles, I guess I've done enough design, sewing, and historical clothing that coming up with exactly how things should look isn't much trouble for me. When I did a Ciel commission this summer, I actually designed the whole costume for the customer since she couldn't decide what costume to do. I just took things I knew would be Ciel-like and gave her a costume she loved and got a lot of compliments on.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #5443
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
See I'm just not a fan of the anime at all. The only thing I actually liked about season two was that Gazette did one of the theme songs (and I've LOVED that band for about ten years now). I just like the manga, the art, the story...that's just me.

But as for the angles, I guess I've done enough design, sewing, and historical clothing that coming up with exactly how things should look isn't much trouble for me. When I did a Ciel commission this summer, I actually designed the whole costume for the customer since she couldn't decide what costume to do. I just took things I knew would be Ciel-like and gave her a costume she loved and got a lot of compliments on.
I do like the manga, too- just not the recent chapters. Or the school arc at all, for that matter. It's okay, we have school designs now..but I can't make myself care about any of those characters. I can name a few off the top of my head that seem to basically taken from another series and put in here, design and action-wise.

And I wondered when I saw that. I assumed it was an original design ^^

And once again..I am on a Ciel wig hunt. Considering I've found one as cheap as $17 that still looks nice, it doesn't seem as much of an investment now xD
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #5444
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I like the new arc, maybe not as much as I liked the last, but I'm enjoying it.

But yeah, that one I did this summer was an original. I had a lot of fun creating that one for her. It was what she wanted because she couldn't decide what costume she wanted to do, so we collaborated and came up with something that looked like Ciel would wear it.
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #5445
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
I like the new arc, maybe not as much as I liked the last, but I'm enjoying it.

But yeah, that one I did this summer was an original. I had a lot of fun creating that one for her. It was what she wanted because she couldn't decide what costume she wanted to do, so we collaborated and came up with something that looked like Ciel would wear it.
I really only read it so I can keep up with what happens.

Very nice, though~ I could never do that, so props to you XD

Okay, spent some time talking to a very lovely Trancy who's selling a few steampunk accessories, and now I'm pretty sure we're doing Steampunk Alois and Ciel together.
I am totally okay with this. I've been wanting an excuse to do steampunk for a while now, and I wasn't sure what version of Ciel to do, so this works nicely. It's also something I haven't seen many cosplayers utilize-God knows why, it seems that Kuro would be a perfect series to do steampunk with.
Don't have a timeframe yet, but will start scouring etsy and thrift stores for stuff soon. I am..really excited about this. Also, ordering my Ciel wig tomorrow night :3 Shouldn't get here too late November, but that should be fine.
God, my creative juices are flowing. The image I have in my head of this costume is just awesome.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 10-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.