Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
remvaldie

Maya (Borderlands 2) cosplay help

Hey there,

EDIT: 200+ views and not a single reply....according to the forum this thread is "hot" but no one is answering, so...wtf? am I in the wrong section or something? can someone please help???

I didn't want to start 5 different threads, so i'm posting all my questions in here. but if I should be doing this then please let me know. Alternatively, would asking specific questions in their respective sections get me more answers, since people who specialize in that area might be in that section more...?

anyways, I'm cosplaying this girl:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/arti...3113453542.jpg

Right now I'm collecting materials. I've decided to use a black nylon catsuit (yeah, har har, don't ask how I got it, It was a very awkward store to be in, worst kinky shop ever) for her shirt, Cutting off the left arm and legs of the suit, and sewing onto that a yellow material.

This is my largest issue right now. I'm sub-par at sewing, I know enough for minor repairs. I need to know what material I should be looking for. Ideas? Yellow Nylon...? I don't want it to be shiny like the catsuit, so something matte. Also, how to sew it on so it doesn't look like I tore a piece of fabric and stabbed a needle and thread into it until it stuck.

I'm going to make the book into a sort of book safe if I have the time, I'll use a cut-down belt to wrap it and hang it from my actual costume's belt.

I'm going to dye and cut my hair for this, but I'm not sure if I can get the right color. Anyone have insight? I'll probably go to a pro...

I thought I'd use some kind of paint for the markings on her arm. Something bright/glossy, and skin safe. suggestions are helpful.

She has ankle ties or belts over her jeans, I can solve that easily, I have equipment like hers. and I have Army boots I thought I would use but they are solid black, it's the one thing I'm considering that wouldn't be true to the character so far, but alternatives would be sooo helpful.

As for make up she has blue eye shadow and lipstick, easily solved.

for the gun, I've been thinking of buying a cheap toy gun, spraypainting it black and then splattering it with the same colors for the camo effect.

ideas/techniques/suggestions, anyone? anything you would do different? I'm open to whatever.

Last edited by remvaldie : 02-26-2012 at 02:08 AM.
remvaldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
JuneBug

Hello there Traveler I'm here to help!

1. Looking for the right type of fabric for a costume like this is always tricky and though i've never gotten to make a costume all on my own my grandmother was a seamstress so i've been sewing my entire life. Anywho for Maya's costume if you don't want it to be shiny i'd go with a yellow cotton and she also has grey strips in her uniform too.
2. To make it look more professional i'd use an actual sewing machine and take your time. If you intend on making more than just this costume and don't have one it's a VERY good investment.
3. Go to a professional for your hair and take a good picture of Maya, front and back headshot, for something like this you want it done right and you want it to look good because not only does she have two toned hair but you're going to be stuck with this cut for a while.
4. In the pictures her shoes look more like tennis shoes but I don't think using combat boots is a bad idea at all. You can take the left over strips from the cat suit and yellow fabric to make a boot cover the concept is fairly simple and you only have to really worry about what peeps out from under her pants and the base of the shoe.
5. Finally, the weapon. Nerf guns are perfect for this kind of thing because even from a distance you can tell the thing is fake plus, when you find the right kind, they're easy to paint.

I hope at least a little bit of this helps, if you need anything else feel free to message me, ok?
JuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
JuiceBoXaniZer

When it comes to fabrics, I often go here for guidelines http://pixiekitty.net/fabric101.htm I hope that could help
I've heard that Ben Nye makeup products are pretty good. That being said, I have never actually used them myself. If you go through the first few pages of this forum, it seems that people have reviewed some body paints so that may help as well http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247
As far as the gun goes, I know that cons have a lot of rules when it comes to weapons. If you're going to one, make sure you read the rules/safety thread before you get to painting. In most cases, they won't accept guns if you paint over the orange tip. They'll also end up zip-tying the trigger since the sound can usually frighten people.
JuiceBoXaniZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Miss Alice

Hi I'm thinking about making this cosplay too. Moleskin spandex is really nice. I think I bought mine on spandexworld.com, you bean but samples from them which is nice if you are looking for the right color. don't use cotton thread it snaps to easy. Use polyester it's way better. Also you can try to tuck the edge under so you have a better separation between colors when you sew. At joanns they have these little bottles for seams that I love, helps the fabric from not fraying.

Regarding the body paint I've been doing a lot of research on it. I've found the reel creations and temptu inks are amazing. You could probably use a brush and they would stay on for a long time. They make sealers to spray over it typo so they really won't come off.

Manic Panic have different colors for hair dye but I would suggest that you go to a pro so you get exactly what you need. And don't forget to take a couple pictures of different angles.

Lime Crime has blue lipstick and gloss that are amazing. And Sugarpill has amazing eyeshadows and lashes. But their lashes are a little on the heavy side.
Miss Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
crazycomicgurl

Being a hairdresser myself I'd say that if ur trying to dye your hair for this cosplay you better already have blonde hair. Blue dye is tricky. If ur hair isn't lifted properly it'll look greenish and could fade SUPER fast. I would HIGHLY recommend a wig. You can get a wig for less than you'll pay for a cut and color and it'll look perfect every time.
crazycomicgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

for the yellow bit, pvc should work, also fits the genre better

might be worth it to look at a couple of cyber-punk fashion sites/forums
just to familiarize yourself with the styles ins and outs, since the character design concept
is at least influenced by the style, if not based

you might also find some stuff on glowing/uv reactive body paints and hair stuffs
(as some factions of cyberpunk incorporate "rave" stylings)

sorry i cant be of better help but this is kinda out of my area, i just poped in
to add my 2 cents,
but it should still be valid advice
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
FianlXCon
Banned

any changes of the wig are acceptable, you just need to have the mimic part of the character, the known poses and specific movement
FianlXCon is offline   Reply With Quote