Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
AstraiaAndraste

Ball-gown Ruching

I've been working on my cosplay of Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and while I've managed to accomplish crafting the most difficult parts of the cosplay I've come to a section where I need advice. I'm currently stumped on how to ruche my ball-gown skirt. I'm thinking I should make the skirt in panels. As for the length of way panel I've heard with ruching that you want double the length of the desired product, so having enough fabric is not a problem.

My ultimate question is how exactly does one ruche such a thing? I've tried look up tutorials and while they do give me a general idea how to ruche I'm still hesitant. Does anyone with experience ruching ball-gown have any advice?
AstraiaAndraste is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Penlowe

Hmmm.... what parts of the tutes you looked at didn't make sense? it'd be easier to elaborate on something than to start from scratch where my written instructions might be no more that what you've already read.
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
SailorDoom

I just googled this gown (not familiar with the character), and it is gorgeous! I think you're right to start out with a bunch of extra long panels. Remember to keep the proportions of a non-ruched skirt if you are drafting your own pattern or if you're extending the length of a regular hoop skirt pattern. I would think that you could do the ruching two ways. One option would be to sew a channel alongside each seam allowance and then run cording through each channel. You could then gather the skirt up evenly along the cording and secure the gathers along the seamline. This could be accomplished by hanging a piece of twill tape inside the dress and then tacking along the seamline to the tape. In this version, you'd do the gathering after the main body of the skirt is constructed and (hopefully) take the whole thing up evenly at one time.

Another approach would be gathering each panel evenly along its length before sewing them together into a skirt. This would probably be pickier, but might yield a "puffier" finished product.

Hmmm... there are probably other ways to go about it, but those are some ideas for now...
SailorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote