Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Julesie

Fixing wig with cold water?

My two cosplay wigs got ruined when I didn't store them properly on a flight back from America.

I bought some Revlon conditioner for synthetic hair and would like to know how to fix my wig, using this or not.

I heard about using hot water but as I can't find anything to measure the heat of the water and I'm scared to use the boiling water technique in case I ruin my wig. The convention is 10 days away so I can't risk this.

My wigs at the moment, one is frizzy and curly on the bangs and slightly... lumpy looking but not too bad. The second and most important wig has gone extremely lumpy all over and has gone curled when the hair is supposed to be straight on the wig.

Is there any way I can fix this as I'm starting to freak out with the convention so close.

Again as much as I'd like to use the boiling water method I have no way to measure what the heat is.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

You don't NEED a thermometer; basically it has to be hot enough to steam, not hot enough to boil. I've never used a thermometer when straightening my wigs and no damage was ever done. This assuming your wigs aren't heat resistant (if they are, then you're better off using heat tools like flatirons and blowdryers). If it's mostly frizz, gently combing and conditioning the wig and snipping off the strands with the worst damage should be done before you try hot water; hot water is mostly for straightening or fixing curls and kinks, it won't do much for frizz. And wash all the product out of them too, so you have the unstyled hair itself to work with and can style it from the beginning again.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Julesie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hetalia-Axis.../360494176289?
This is the wig I purchased.

This wig itself isn't frizzy, just the other one is. This one has just gone all lumpy and curled around what would be the neck to touch the skin when it should be going straight down and not curl.

So for this wig do you think I should wash it in hot water thats steaming and then let it dry?
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Washing a wig in hot water won't straighten it; to take curls and such out, you need to put it on a wig head on some sort of stand so the hairs aren't against the floor or such (I stick shorter ones on the plunger in the tub), and pour the water over it. For the back of the neck you'll need to clip the top layers out of the way (if it were a longer wig I'd say "or hold", but you'd probably scald yourself doing that on a short wig) to make sure you get them straight.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Julesie

So I put it on a wig stand when pouring the hot water over it? Or pour the hot water on it first then place it on the wig stand?
I have two wig stands, one is a Styrofoam head so I'm not sure that's a good choice?

And the other is this http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/4...ay-plastic.jpg
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Diamondinmyeye
Save me a piece!

The point of the hot water treatment is to reshape the wig fibers by heating them and letting them cool in a new shape. Because of this, you want to put it on a styrofoam wig head. The plastic ones will create high and low points and make the wig look lumpy once it's dry. I looked at the wig you linked and it's heat resistant, so if you're set on using water, then it will need to be boiling to be effective.

Future Cosplays:
Princess Bubblegum-Adventure Time
The Flower Card-Cardcaptor Sakura
Rika Furude(school outfit)-Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Diamondinmyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Julesie

Thank you so much. I'll go ahead and do this tomorrow then. I'm so relieved.
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Diamondinmyeye
Save me a piece!

Also, never comb your wig when it's wet.

Future Cosplays:
Princess Bubblegum-Adventure Time
The Flower Card-Cardcaptor Sakura
Rika Furude(school outfit)-Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Diamondinmyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Julesie

Ohh thank you for that. I would have. I'll wait for it to dry and then comb it.
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Julesie

I can't seem to get the temperature over 80c unless I boil the water so it goes bubbly.

Is 80c hot enough or do I have to try and think of another idea?
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Test it on the wig; if it's not straightening it enough, then it's probably too cool. But if you don't have a heat-resistant wig, that should be about the right temperature.
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Julesie

Thanks. I've tested it on the wig and I'm just waiting for it to dry so I can see the results.