Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox

Annoying fandoms?

Just wondering how many of you cosplay as a certain char and get annoyed by your own fandom? I was cosplaying Homura from Madoka awhile back and people kept saying homu, homu and I usually don't keep up with the 'popular' stuff so it got pretty old quick especially since I didn't know what the heck they were talking about. Someone even asked me where my hat was and I replied "Homura doesn't wear a hat, you must have me mistaken for a different char" and they say "no your not wearing Madoka's pink panties on your head." After that I ended up googling it on my phone cause I was so confused lol. Either way though it was pretty annoying.

TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan and had decided to cosplay Xion. After wearing the costume and spending some time at a photo shoot with other fans, I vow to never wear that costume again...

Its really sad when I don't want to wear a costume just because I don't want to be "associated" with other people from the same fandom.Especially when you consider all the time and money put into the costume, and you don't want to wear it again due to a stupid reason like this.I will continue to like Kingdom Hearts, just not in public XD

Le sigh....

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
BrokenAlice
fields of hope ☆

Hmmm well I haven't cosplayed it yet, but I kind of don't want to anymore because of the fandom if that counts for anything????
I've been wanting to cosplay the Once-ler from the Lorax, but genderswapped version ever since I've seen the movie and someone's fan design of it. I really loved the design so I decided I wanted to cosplay her. However, I'm just really disgusted with how some of the people in the fandom act. For example, there is "Oncest" in the fandom which is basically the once-ler paired with himself, but what disgusts me is that some people in my local cosplay community re-enacting these things in real life by playfully biting each other, giving each other hickeys in public in front of children....and I just....what???? I don't dislike these people....they are really nice...but... it made me not want to cosplay from the Lorax anymore ;___;
- -SDCC '14
»*undecided so far*

Last edited by BrokenAlice : 10-14-2012 at 10:31 PM.
BrokenAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenAlice View Post
Hmmm well I haven't cosplayed it yet, but I kind of don't want to anymore because of the fandom if that counts for anything????
I've been wanting to cosplay the Onle-ler from the Lorax, but genderswapped version ever since I've seen the movie and someone's fan design of it. I really loved the design so I decided I wanted to cosplay her. However, I'm just really disgusted with how some of the people in the fandom act. For example, there is "Oncest" in the fandom which is basically the once-ler paired with himself, but what disgusts me is that some people in my local cosplay community re-enacting these things in real life by playfully biting each other, giving each other hickeys in public in front of children....and I just....what???? I don't dislike these people....they are really nice...but... it made me not want to cosplay from the Lorax anymore ;___;
Oh wow. I honestly didn't realize the Lorax had this kind of following 0_0

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I haven't personally encountered any bad fandoms yet, but I have heard some horror stories about the Homestuck and Hetalia fandom. All the cosplayers I have seen that do those series all seem fine to me though :/

I did hear that at a convention I went to this year that they had to cancel a My Little Pony photoshoot, due to the fact that the day before they made a mess with glitter or something like that :/
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Mintpuff
The Purifier

The Homestuck fandom has a ton of great people in it but just because some of us are nutty gives the entire fandom a bad rap. Makes me afraid to HS cosplay. x__x
Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite)
Mintpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I've only cosplayed from a hand-full of "popular" fandoms, but I'm usually very late to the party, so I don't seem to get hit with the annoying "temp" fans. I - along with my group - had one or two interesting experiences in FMA, but rarely do we experience the full crazy of newly discovered fangirl fuel.

I'm increasingly glad I don't get into fandoms until after they die down.

Next con: SacAnime (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
SA2R
King of the Skies

Hetalia! Hands down~ I still plan Hetalia cosplays/watch it/hang with my old World Summit panel members. But I wouldn't touch the new group of panel members/new cosplayers with a 50ft pole :O
I use to cosplay Prussia, and all the new Prussia cosplayers I see are whipping people with horse whips, letting their flags drag on the ground, wrapping their flags either around themselves and or using them as capes... That goes for a lot of other characters from the series. It's like they have no respect~ I had the utmost respect for all the flags I had.

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Has Homestuck been said yet? Add one more person to that list.

But really, I never really cosplay from overly popular anime/manga/videogame series. Namine was pretty much the exception, but I never actually played KH or anything so I didn't know what was going on anyway. But even though I don't even interact with the fans, a lot of the Hetalia stuff I'd see online got really old really quickly, and now Homestuck is the same, except worse.
SakuraxTsubasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Hetalia, easily. I mean, I'm a Hetalia cosplayer and I'm always on my best behavior when cosplaying as such, but there's way too many people in the fandom who are disrespectful, loud, and obnoxious. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the Hetalia fandom, and personally, I think it stems from people not being mature and responsible people. A lot of the Hetalia fandom is rather young (mind you, I'm not saying all young cosplayers are immature), and they don't really take into account that they're portraying a country when they cosplay from Hetalia. I know cosplay is all about fun, but it can be very easy to offend someone when you're portraying an actual country. Behaviors like dragging flags on the ground, wearing offensive symbols (like the swastika...I probably spelled that wrong), are what make people dislike the Hetalia fandom so much, in addition to the typical stuff such as poor manners, being loud, rude, etc.

This doesn't stop me from cosplaying Hetalia though. If anything, it's really a sobering situation. When I cosplay, I try to be someone that makes the rest of the fandom look good, you know? XD My goal is to change at least one person's mind about a fandom they used to think was all bad.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

This wasn't me personally, but my friends who are Homestuck fans were incredibly mad at this guy who wrote "honk" in the elevator. They didn't like him giving them a bad rap. I was pretty mad too even though I'm not a Homestuck fan, vandalism reflects badly on the whole con.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I'm planning on joining into the school girl uniform fandom..I know they are alot out there and you can reuse them for tons of characters (lucky star uniform alone can be used for 9 other animes) however I don't think I will be annoyed by them unless like they are banned XD

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
rajamitsu

I've got mixed feelings about cosplaying Ciel from Black Butler nowadays. I've had some awesome experiences and met some really great people while wearing it, but it's also the only costume I've really ever had to deal with rude congoers in. Y'know, being glomped (which once knocked my top hat off and put a small ding in it), having props grabbed, etc.

Granted, it's not nearly as bad as some other fandoms, but it's still made me a little hesitant to bring out the costume as often.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Gamzee
terminallySober

Homestuck.

Despite enjoying the comic, I cannot even begin to list some of the bad things the Homestuck fandom has done. Sure, there's some great people in the fandom, but they always get hidden away by all the shitty things.

London (October) Expo

Maid
Roxas (Organization XIII)

"Without struggle, there is no progress." - Frederick Douglass
Gamzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

On the flip side, the Twilight haters made me not want to cosplay Victoria to non-Twilight related events. I saw a bunch of people threaten a guy cosplaying Edward, it got to the point he had to hide in his hotel room. Although, now I don't wear the cosplay because I've lost interest in the series.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote