Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #166
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

729 days until Costume Con 32...

Suddenly out of nowhere, I was ridiculously excited for Costume Con - middle of my shift at work while contemplating packing lists for Animenorth. Could be focusing on that con which is one month to the day but noooo....let's panic because we have only a little more than 700 days to create costumes that don't even exist in the planning stage. Many small pieces of scrap paper DIED today as sacrifices to terrible sketches only to conclude that a)I draw like a three year old who has never held a pen in her life and b)MOAR RUFFLES

How's everyone else's CC32 coping going?

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #167
novaraven1

Always lots of costume ideas, usually zero funding. I need to get more creative with raising money for cosplay or I'll just have to stop altogether. Thinking about costume con is rather depressing atm.
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #168
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I decided to bring three costumes.. I figured out two for sure, and one's a "maybe". Only problem is they're all going to cost a crapton, plus the con itself. And I've been in pretty rocky finances since about a year ago, since I lost my long-time job exactly a year ago, spent six months unemployed and drained my EI benefits, got work only from October til New years, annnd am unemployed still four months later. And have no EI benefits this time because of the LAST time. I've also used up all my regular savings my tax return, and am now into my large "Was going to use for something really big in the future" fund. Sigh. I'd better get a PERMANENT damn job again soon. I'm just lucky as fuck I don't live on my own yet.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #169
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I know the feeling novaraven1. It's why next year I'm only doing one costume so that the rest of my money can go into Costume Con Steampunk. I would love to make 3 new costumes for Costume-con but I really would like to make that one as awesome as possible and bring two with me. Red Queen with a re-sized bodice and possible lace front and if it works my YnM one for AN2013.

I've been in your boat ShinobiXikyu I took 8 months of temporary position to finally find something permanent and I count myself lucky on that. During my down time I work at Tim Horton's to pay for my student loans as well, their always hiring and they were good about needing to quite. I ended up working weekends so I could go to interviews during the week.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #170
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Post Polaris bound

Costume-Con 32 will have a table at Polaris.

If you are going to be there please stop by and say hi!

We will be answering questions about Costume-Con 32 and will
be selling memberships as well.

Look for us there!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #171
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I still haven't seen that receipt for my pre-reg payment...

UPDATE: Finally got my receipt. Thanks!
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 07-02-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #172
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I can see the Men's Werewolf & Vampire Costume being popular.

Personally I would make for a manatee then a mermaid with my figure if i tired the other pattern. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post
I think that would be awesome. XD You crack me up Ani_Bee.
I stand by the my first comment about me making a better manatee then a mermaid but I was struck by inspiration and will be taking on the mermaid pattern.

I want to do it! It will be a horror costume and I'm super excite to raid the Halloween stores and look for a number of things. I also get to use the BOX of shells as decorations I have. I knew there was a reason I didn't throw them out. I actually want to start making it now but all the material are probably going to take awhile to source/manufacture.

I hope everyone will cringe when they see me. lol It definitely fills the monsters and mythos of this years theme. I'll probably finish it for Haloween 2013 so that I can wear it out.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 09-27-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #173
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Suddenly, there is only a year and half until the biggest and best costuming event in the Known Universe. Qu'est que WHERE did that time go? Pretty much I've determined three things;

a)I really need to settle on some concrete plans
b)I really need to figure how to fund these plans

and c)....how does one actually transport all the costumes required for 4 days of events, masquerades and still have room for mudane things like...jeans? And fit them into the hotel room? When is more than one person in said room, and more than one person's costumes. Steamer Chest? Pack Mule? Hammerspace?

Such a predicament.... for such an awesome problem....

All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Unread 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #174
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Prop/weapon/armor take up a lot more space then anything else. I can usually fir 3 costumes into one "larger' travel bag. But my red queen costume get her own larger box because she take up that one larger bag and only enough room for a change of clothes. :s

a)I really need to settle on some concrete plans ....
Yes I'm still not settled myself. 4 new costume are not going to happen and would be out a budget. I'll be wearing my Red Queen for sure now though and maybe make a proper scepter for her over Christmas this year.

Also ran into a snag as I'm a big boned female. :S Need a sounding board on this.
For the Single pattern costume.
http://www.costumecon32.com/singlepattern.html

I was thinking of taking one the Mermaid Costume and do a zombie/day of the dead mermaid with a skeleton torso. Problem is I don't think and pre-made skeletons work for me. T-T
http://www.skeleton-factory.com/Buck...thout-stand-10
http://www.skeleton-factory.com/Buck...th-Quality-163

It's not so much the height (I'm 5'8") but the circumference of the rib cage I'm worried about. my plan is the cut down the inside of the bones to 3/4 (and split the neck pieces in half) to sew down to a black body suit so that they are raise but still flushed to the body.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 10-15-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #175
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've got my two planned costumes still obviously planned, but I'm trying to figure out a third costume. I'm thinking I'll tak some self-made "mundane" clothes in the styles I don't get to wear in public without considerable stares, but I'd still want one more costume. I'm actually thinking of an omfgfancy Princess Luna (MLP:FIM to clarify) gijinka, but is that frowned upon at Costume-Con? The plan for it is essentially a huge fancy dress and a bunch of sheer sequined fabric to get the floaty "energy" look of her mane, tail and wings, and maybe working the horn and ear shapes into the crown...
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #176
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

My historic costume that I've been planing out is slowly being started. I picked up some cleaned wool and either next week or the week after I'll be getting my own spinning wheel to start spinning it. Hunting season for rabbit in my area opens next week too, so I can finally start tanning some hides. It'll be my first time brain tanning so it should be fun! (Is that too gross to say that?)
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #177
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Also ran into a snag as I'm a big boned female. :S Need a sounding board on this.
For the Single pattern costume.
http://www.costumecon32.com/singlepattern.html

I was thinking of taking one the Mermaid Costume and do a zombie/day of the dead mermaid with a skeleton torso. Problem is I don't think and pre-made skeletons work for me. T-T
http://www.skeleton-factory.com/Buck...thout-stand-10
http://www.skeleton-factory.com/Buck...th-Quality-163

It's not so much the height (I'm 5'8") but the circumference of the rib cage I'm worried about. my plan is the cut down the inside of the bones to 3/4 (and split the neck pieces in half) to sew down to a black body suit so that they are raise but still flushed to the body.
That sounds delightfully twisted, I love it! (Are you putting bones on the tail too? Like a fish skeleton?)

Are you trying to fit yourself inside the skeleton bones? Like...attached them to the aforementioned bodysuit but be effectively inside of the bones?

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #178
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes inside the bones. ^_^ It's much more theatrical that way.

I used to have a t-shirt with a half eaten fish and brightly coloured head a fin that gave me the idea (literally loved that shirt to death). The tail I'll start with a pretty shade and add layers of rot to it, so making some tail bone protrusions sound fun idea as well.

I have not done a strictly "Haloween" costume since I've been in high-school.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 10-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Unread 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #179
Ookami12
Banned

If you want something simple yet cute and adorable try dressing kigurumi style. You will guaranteed get loveable hugs wearing this i recently bought the wolf kigu. But you can get charcters like pikachu and totoro! just visit the link below to check it out!
Ookami12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #180
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Yes inside the bones. ^_^ It's much more theatrical that way.

I used to have a t-shirt with a half eaten fish and brightly coloured head a fin that gave me the idea (literally loved that shirt to death). The tail I'll start with a pretty shade and add layers of rot to it, so making some tail bone protrusions sound fun idea as well.

I have not done a strictly "Haloween" costume since I've been in high-school.
Oh, that's going to be so neat. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I can see what you mean with whether or not you can fit into the bones. The lower rib cage might not be an issue because there isn't really much other than skin to work around but in bust area, there's well, bust. Binding might help, but that removes the womany curve of a mermaid...hmm.... adding in an addition section of rib so it curves around, but that would have to connect somehow. Umm....oh, if you are going to use the top part of the pattern, you could always make it like the classic mermaid bra style topl, stop the bones just under that, and then continue them on above the neckline of the top as if it was continous. You could have some bone hanging out of the top too, to make it look like it was actually underneath?