Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
Homestuck.

Despite enjoying the comic, I cannot even begin to list some of the bad things the Homestuck fandom has done. Sure, there's some great people in the fandom, but they always get hidden away by all the shitty things.
Agreed. ._. I admit, the fandom made me hate everything involving Homestuck for a LONG time. Well, my best friend became a fan of the series, and she's a very respectable, friendly person. She introduced me to a few other well-mannered HS fans, and that's restored my faith in the fandom enough to give it a chance. o3o Now I actually plan to read it over Christmas break. However.... I don't know if I'll ever cosplay from it, for various reasons.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
LeekFish
Clow Reader

I don't think it's so much the fandom's fault most of the time, honestly. Every fandom has its good and bad, but with the really popular ones (Hetalia, Homestuck, MLP, etc.) they simply have more people and thus a higher likelihood of encountering one of the bad apples.

It's been my experience that it's been kinda rare for me to run into someone that rubbed off on me the wrong way, but perhaps I'm just not a magnet for it or anything. I've run Fanime's Vocaloid gathering for two years and never really had an issue, and my only negative instance with the MLP fandom was the time at Fanime where I realized a guy I'd previously been talking to was following me around (but it wasn't difficult to escape and the situation didn't really get any worse.) But that was one brony out of the god knows how many I've met, and creeps will be creeps regardless of the fandom they're in. /shrugs

I dunno, I guess I just see fandom-shaming as being a bit unfair.

2013 Cosplays
Ultimate Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 93%
Fluttershy, My Little Pony - 85%
Cocoa, Fisheye Placebo - 100%
Gumi (Camellia), Vocaloid - 50%
Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony - 60%
Fionna, Adventure Time - 70%
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
Nikineko
Emergency Induction Port

Oh man, Hetalia in its prime was horrible. The last Hetalia cosplay I wore was Nomad/Barbarian Hungary. At every photoshoot I went with this costume I got stared at and questioned about if it was a real character or not. I had a couple of people tell me that this costume wasn't in Hetalia. (O_o WTF? The creator drew the concept himself. How is it not part of Hetalia?)

Also the fact that if you are not cosplaying any of the Allied or Axis characters with the exceptions of Prussia and Holy Roman Empire, you were completely ignored in photo shoots.
Nikineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeekFish View Post
I just see fandom-shaming as being a bit unfair.
^ This

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeekFish View Post
I don't think it's so much the fandom's fault most of the time, honestly. Every fandom has its good and bad, but with the really popular ones (Hetalia, Homestuck, MLP, etc.) they simply have more people and thus a higher likelihood of encountering one of the bad apples.

It's been my experience that it's been kinda rare for me to run into someone that rubbed off on me the wrong way, but perhaps I'm just not a magnet for it or anything. I've run Fanime's Vocaloid gathering for two years and never really had an issue, and my only negative instance with the MLP fandom was the time at Fanime where I realized a guy I'd previously been talking to was following me around (but it wasn't difficult to escape and the situation didn't really get any worse.) But that was one brony out of the god knows how many I've met, and creeps will be creeps regardless of the fandom they're in. /shrugs

I dunno, I guess I just see fandom-shaming as being a bit unfair.

Exactly! There are a lot of very immature or creepy people out there. It's not the fandom--it's just that if you take a slice of society there will always be that percent that drives everyone else up a wall.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Don't blame the fandom, blame the people in the fandom. :P
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography

Last edited by ChocoboxDreamer : 10-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Falclon

It's really not fair to the shows and such that they are judged off of the fandom. I watched Hetalia before I had ever been to a con and thought it was an entertaining show. Then I saw some people in the fandom running around dragging flags on the floor. It made me cringe. I do know some really cool people in both the Hetalia and Homestuck fandoms though.

Right now I am working on a Mey-Rin from Kuroshitsuji cosplay and I'm slightly worried about wearing it after seeing the fandom. It's not as big as Hetalia/HS but it has its problems as well. The fandom seems to be dying down a bit though so I'm sure it will be fine.
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Hetalia cosplayers are crazy. I really do want to cosplay from it..but I don't want to be associated with their bad behaviour.
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

I agree. Homestuck and Hetalia fans are by far the worst. Maybe 85% of the immature people in society decided they liked Homestuck and Hetalia. I personally don't like either of the shows, so..

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Shirayuki~Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
I agree. Homestuck and Hetalia fans are by far the worst. Maybe 85% of the immature people in society decided they liked Homestuck and Hetalia. I personally don't like either of the shows, so..
I think that's untrue, and really judgmental. The last con I was at, not cosplaying Homestuck, I went to 2 Homestuck photoshoots, and EVERYONE was extremely kind, fun, and not annoying. I'm one of those people who gets annoyed easily by immature people, and there were little to no one annoying there. And it was a large group. So jumping the gun like that and saying "85% of anyone who is in that fandom is annoying and terrible" is completely untrue.

The reason why Hetalia and Homestuck get such a bad rap is because people let the bad things stick in their mind, over the good things. It's not fair to judge an entire fandom by the few bad things you see.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan and had decided to cosplay Xion. After wearing the costume and spending some time at a photo shoot with other fans, I vow to never wear that costume again...

Its really sad when I don't want to wear a costume just because I don't want to be "associated" with other people from the same fandom.Especially when you consider all the time and money put into the costume, and you don't want to wear it again due to a stupid reason like this.I will continue to like Kingdom Hearts, just not in public XD

Le sigh....
I feel your pain.
I was Riku for a convention (this was when I was around 11 or 12 and VERY socially awkward) and during the small photoshoot we had, ended up getting pinned up against the wall and stage kissed.
My dad was pissed and I was really scared and felt really violated. Not a pleasant experience.
Then I tried again as Marluxia...god, that reaction was nearly to the point of actual sexual harassment. -n- Axel cosplayers seem to give the most problems.
Now maybe that it's died down a bit, if I could find partners, I'd like to seriously try Riku again (since it was horrible and he's still one of my favorite characters; I'd like to do it as a tribute to him) but I always fear that the few fans that are left will be obnoxious and pushy like the ones I encountered my first year of cosplaying. ;-;

As far as now, all my fandoms seem to get sorta annoying e-e The one exception I've found so far is Vocaloid, and Black Butler has gotten better since my first time being Ciel. My first time being Ciel, we were at a photoshoot and were told to do 'Cielcest', so the two others nearest to me grabbed, one clinging to me so tightly it nearly knocked me over and one literally kissing my neck.
.......ughhh. -shivers- My Hetalia experience was bad, too; I was Italy and got pulled into the lap of one of my friends who was cosplaying Prussia, and the nearest Germany decided to yell out a swear at the top of her voice around small children.
Fandoms...why are you all crazy e-e
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 10-15-2012 at 04:35 PM.
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

The only time I've been put off by fans of a series is when I cosplay Madam Red. Overall, the Kuroshitsuji fans really get under my skin, even though I love the manga (not the anime). I've had too many people just be...weird...towards me when I cosplay her. I won't stop wearing my Madam Red costume, but it's really off-putting when people come running up to me dragging a Ciel cosplayer screaming "I found your nephew!" and things like that. I'm also not the kind of person who pretends to be the character when I'm in costume, so I don't like when people try to hold a conversation with me as if I was the character. It's just really uncomfortable to me. I'm also really put off by the people who do Kuroshitsuji yaoi. I just CANNOT support that one at all.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I don't really gravitate towards popular series very often - not because I avoid them like the plague, but I like older series and well, usually that's not what is very popular at the time - only whatever is new. In recent years the only fandoms I've been a part of that were really popular were Ouran and Gurren Lagann, and I never personally had any problems associating with or cosplaying with my fellow fans. I've heard stories, and that's pretty much it. Personally I haven't had any negative experiences. Sure, you are bound to get younger fans in some series, and you kinda have to forgive them for how they act sometimes - but when it comes to damaging property, annoying people, etc. then the line gets drawn.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #29
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
I think that's untrue, and really judgmental. The last con I was at, not cosplaying Homestuck, I went to 2 Homestuck photoshoots, and EVERYONE was extremely kind, fun, and not annoying. I'm one of those people who gets annoyed easily by immature people, and there were little to no one annoying there. And it was a large group. So jumping the gun like that and saying "85% of anyone who is in that fandom is annoying and terrible" is completely untrue.

The reason why Hetalia and Homestuck get such a bad rap is because people let the bad things stick in their mind, over the good things. It's not fair to judge an entire fandom by the few bad things you see.
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
Hetalia cosplayers are crazy. I really do want to cosplay from it..but I don't want to be associated with their bad behaviour.
Don't be afraid, the good fans far outnumber the bad ones. Plus the fandom has really calmed down in the past year. Most of the immature fans have either grown up or moved onto other things.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)

Last edited by Shana05 : 10-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Shana05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #30
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

I'm not sure if it fits under the same category, but I wore my Salieri costume basically only once, because I had about three people ask me what Kuroshitsuji character I was supposed to be -.-" So, I didn't really expect to GET recognized, but even then...I guess you could say that the Kuroshitsuji part is what ticks me off. Usually I see tons of Sebastians, Ciels, and Grells everywhere (and wtf Kuroshitsuji character does Salieri even look like? XD)
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote