Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Cosplaying variations?

Does anyone here cosplay someone but puts their own variation on what they dress or do you just cosplay the character with how they are in the anime/manga?
Ex: Maka Albarn wears a trenchcoat/vest/skirt outfit but instead of wearing that you wear a dress and a wolf tail along with the scythe?
Or
Professor Stein wearing skinny jeans and a "I love dissecting" shirt?

I was curious because I wanted to cosplay someone but I can't afford their outfit so I was thinking about doing it non-canon. I'm worried about what people who are actually cosplaying the character will think.

Ref: http://www.fotolog.com/maka_albarn/67024479
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Harls

Cosplaying, to me, is about expressing your love and fandom of the character/series of your choice, and having fun in the process. I've seen lots of people cosplaying their own variations of a character, and usually people think it's very creative! I say go for it
Harls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
sanriah

I would say go for it as well, I cosplayed Simon from Gurren Lagann and, being a girl, replaced his brown shorts for a brown mini skirt and added a tank top (most cons hav this thing about not walking around topless, who knew :P ) not exactly cannon but still super fun. Next year I'm doing Miku from Vocaloid the Matryoshka version, I'm keeping her jacket but I'm doing my own thing for the waist down, I think if you do ur own version of something, as long as ur staying true to the character, no one will mind
sanriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
sanriah

By the way, who was it you were thinking of cosplaying, if you don't mind my asking
sanriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
katacus
Two?!

I actually like those a lot better than trying to make the costumes accurate with the things from your closet. Those can be creative and funny. A hipster Ariel comes to mind :3
katacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Really? I'm kind of paranoid about these things, I'm like "Oh no, no one will reconize me". But now since you three think it's great then I feel a little better.

I was thinking of cosplaying Ciel Phantomhive or someone from Hetalia. The reason I was asking is because I can't get the military outfits or dresses so I was wondering if I could change it up.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

So long as you get the hair right and the theme is similar you should be fine for being recognized.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

I love making/seeing variations! I've got a couple in mind already (Jessica Rabbit on her wedding day, Tak goes to a nightclub/goes for a job interview, etc). I agree that as long as you have the hair and/or accessories that are recognizable for the character, you should be good to go.
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I love coming up with historical variations on characters. I've come up with a Victorian Miho Tohya and a Renaissance Death from Sandman. I've also got an idea for a Renaissance Black Cat running around my brain, but that one wouldn't be cheap. Heck, I'm planning to do Gaz Membrane in her 20's. She's going to be wearing a more grown-up version of her outfit and be busy with her cell phone all the time. Having the big defining characteristics there the main thing. Then you can go and have a ton of fun!

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
CautiousAmber

Man, I LOVE seeing creative variations and personal interpretations of characters! I can never come up with cool ideas like that on my own, so I really enjoy seeing the neat stuff other people put together. I also think it shows how much of a creative outlet and art form cosplay can be.

So go for it!!
- Homestuck: Feferi Peixes

Upcoming Events:
Nebraskon 2014, Katsucon 2015, Nakakon 2015, Colossalcon 2015

TUMBLR / FACEBOOK / COSPIX
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

I think variations are neat! Besides, when people do fanart, they will often dress their favorite characters in new outfits. They won't always draw them in their typical wear, so why not do so for cosplay? I am doing my own variation of Vocaloid Meiko's default outfit. It's not too much different from her original, but I am uncomfortable showing my midriff, so I am doing a spin on her default where her midriff is covered (I found the PERFECTA TOP WITH ALL THE RIGHT COLORS *.*). When I sew her outfit for Tsugai Kogarashi, I will probably have my own spin to it as well, making it a bit simpler, but with all the right colors and important details. One of these days, I even plan to create an entirely original outfit for Meiko! And my mom, who loves Yuuko from xxxHOLiC, plans to do an original take on her as well. She's seen many dresses that look like something she'd wear, and plans to go for that!

So what you're doing is something people have considered, are doing, or have done. Just as long as the hair is correct and important, distinctive details about the character is correct, I am sure people will recognize you. In fact, since it is your own variation, that actually might draw more attention! Just put all your heart and soul, and show your love for the character! BE A WALKING FAN-ART MASTERPIECE! ^o^
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Currently in the works!
Kaiko Shion [blue dress - original] (Vocaloid)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I've got another variation ready to go. It's what I'll be wearing to work next Friday for Halloween: Ninj4!Miho Tohya. She usually wears skirts and a sweater or school uniform. But I decided that she would make a good Ninj4. It's going to be fun considering no one will know who I am. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out ninja and leave it at that.

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

This is what I intend to do with cosplaying so I always have something that will be unique and stand out. Right now I am combining Legend of Zelda with Star Wars and I like the combination so much that I can't stop combining these two series when ever I hear the music from them.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 30% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Variations are neat and often a good way to add some extra stand-out-ishness to a popularly cosplayed character, AS LONG AS they're done with actual effort. Not the "Well these clothes I yanked out of my closet could vaguely resemble something they'd wear if they were punk/emo/skater/goth" thing.

I've done just one variation, myself, a schoolgirl version of Yuffie from FF7. ( http://www.cosplay.com/costume/376778/ ) It was pretty well received, though more than a few were asking who I was cosplaying.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Variations are neat and often a good way to add some extra stand-out-ishness to a popularly cosplayed character, AS LONG AS they're done with actual effort.
Well I am doing just that. I gave myself six months to make a Jedi Link costume Mashup.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 30% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote