Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #1021
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

It didn't seem like the conversation on the AX Board was really resolved, just ended via locking.

Also, I received a message from the AX Facebook feed. They're selling their current office furniture and fixtures to pay for their "office redesign." Does anyone know what this redesign is? Is it an update of their hardware or is someone trying to redecorate?
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1022
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I asked a man how to get to another hall/area on day 3 when I was Celty Sturlosn,and he not only ignored me when he saw me twice,but them rudely stated."Just look at the damn signs,lady."
Wow. That was incredibly rude. Talk about no class. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

The next time that happens, you should boldly ask for his name. You shouldn't have to put up with that. If necessary, ask for his supervisor. Make a note what he looks like, and have him reported.

Quote:
Also, I received a message from the AX Facebook feed. They're selling their current office furniture and fixtures to pay for their "office redesign." Does anyone know what this redesign is? Is it an update of their hardware or is someone trying to redecorate?
It could possibly mean that money is really tight now. (Considering how much AX was scaled back this year, it wouldn't be surprising.)

On things on a different note, I'm just amazed at how some of the people at the AX forums are now claiming that the X-Games wasn't really a problem, and it was "fun" to have them around. (Um..What?!)

Here's a quote from umesketch:
Quote:
Everyone I was with didn't mind X Games there (minus the long walk-around) and I personally thought it added some fun to this year's AX. Most of the negativity I found was either from strangers at AX or the AX Facebook page.
http://community.anime-expo.org/topi...n/page__st__20

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1023
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I liked how Kim Long Vo went in there and corrected that the ACC is larger. I really need confirmation on this, a friend of mine who is also a friend of a long time AX Staffer told me they were getting close to their pre-Lattanzio days in terms of finances.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #1024
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
On things on a different note, I'm just amazed at how some of the people at the AX forums are now claiming that the X-Games wasn't really a problem, and it was "fun" to have them around. (Um..What?!)

Here's a quote from umesketch:

http://community.anime-expo.org/topi...n/page__st__20
The X Games weren't a problem for me either, other than the inconvenience of the route needed to get to the LACC. This doesn't mean that I'd rather them be there, of course. I'm glad they won't have the potential to get in the way next year.
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #1025
Access

Quote:
I would not assume much from those forums -- there's a lot of reverse cherry-picking that goes on. Threads that express a sentiment they don't like get locked or simply disappear, so all that's left is the ones that imply that everything is fine and they're doing a great job. Not all organizations want to hear criticism, some just want to hear that they're doing great, everything is okay and life is swell (even when it's not).

One of the staffers I talked to recently said that the furniture and office space was demonstrated to be unsafe -- older chairs that were falling apart and such -- and was in the process of being 'upgraded' in order to be able to provide a safer workplace and environment for employees of larger stature. I mentioned OHSA and the ADA, but the conversation quickly went elsewhere after that. We assumed he was just kidding at the time, or perhaps just had a little too much Sake.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #1026
El_Duque
miyoshi82

So Kris/Hcoregamer is running again for reelection for BoD for SPJA. Best of luck to you buddy, alot of us are hoping for the best.

Quote:
Okay, I decided to run for reelection for the Board of Directors for the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (the parent company of Anime Expo and Anime Conji). I leave it up to the Membership to determine whether I will be in the SPJA for the next 2 years.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #1027
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I liked how Kim Long Vo went in there and corrected that the ACC is larger.
Well, a lot of times, some of those posters over at that forum, would post stuff that's way, way off the mark. Some of them would post stuff that are so off the mark, that I would actually pause, and go , and then go

Quote:
I would not assume much from those forums -- there's a lot of reverse cherry-picking that goes on. Threads that express a sentiment they don't like get locked or simply disappear, so all that's left is the ones that imply that everything is fine and they're doing a great job. Not all organizations want to hear criticism, some just want to hear that they're doing great, everything is okay and life is swell (even when it's not).
I think it's pretty much been like that at that forum, since Lattanzio took over AX. Before Lattanzio, you could get a frank feedback from the fans, and the staffers would listen & respond at the AX forums. Back then, the Cosplay.com forums were just used for cosplay gathering meets, and that was about it. All that would change when Lattanzio took over, and he practiced heavy censorship. The fans who didn't want their comments censored, or have their opinions carefully controlled migrated over here. To this day, the forum over there did not mention that Lattanzio had left AX, or when Jason Pier had left AX Live.

Quote:
or perhaps just had a little too much Sake.

There's an old Roman saying that states, "In vino veritas".

Translation: "In wine, there is truth".

In short, people can spill the beans out more when they are intoxicated.

Quote:
So Kris/Hcoregamer is running again for reelection for BoD for SPJA. Best of luck to you buddy, alot of us are hoping for the best.

Quote:
Okay, I decided to run for reelection for the Board of Directors for the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (the parent company of Anime Expo and Anime Conji). I leave it up to the Membership to determine whether I will be in the SPJA for the next 2 years.

Same here. I really hope he gets reelected. He's one of the few SPJA members who does really care for the fans, and he worked his buns off for the fans at the convention.

And in all likelihood, Marc Perez will probably get reelected as CEO again. (As if the "El Presidente" really cares of what we fans think of his performance.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-21-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1028
Access

Quote:
Same here. I really hope he gets reelected. He's one of the few SPJA members who does really care for the fans, and he worked his buns off for the fans at the convention.
I don't know if AX would still be around today, or still growing, were it not for him. It's sad, because the first time he got elected it was such a narrow margin (one vote, I think) but he's was the most qualified among all the candidates.

Last edited by Access : 08-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1029
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

I didn't catch his name,but yes he was a staffer.I just shrugged it off as him
Being tiered from working at a loud convention hall with thousands of screaming people.But what pissed me off was that after,(I suppose you could say "flirted")with another girl while people stood behind him wanting to ask questions.

Oh,I was the Celty with the helmet that didn't slant down and had a Soul eater bag.

Last edited by Resident-chick : 08-21-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #1030
El_Duque
miyoshi82

http://www.anime-expo.org/other-news...ention-center/

AX just released a press release of their attendance this year with a record of 49,400 unique attendees.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #1031
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Just as a sidenote..

The elections for the AX SPJA Board of Directors is going to occur this month, in October.

I guess we'll get to find out by Halloween, whether HCoregamer00 got reelected.

Or if Marc Perez comes back again as "El Presidente".
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #1032
Access

Isn't there some kind of limit for maximum terms or consecutive terms served by the directors? I vaguely remember something like 3 consecutive terms (???), I think it was mentioned to me once but my memory could also be way off...
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #1033
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Please

I DO NOT WANT PEREZ.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #1034
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Isn't there some kind of limit for maximum terms or consecutive terms served by the directors? I vaguely remember something like 3 consecutive terms (???), I think it was mentioned to me once but my memory could also be way off...
I'm not sure either if there is an actual term limit for the SPJA.

Quote:
Please

I DO NOT WANT PEREZ.
Unfortunately, it's not up to us as to who gets to be elected as the President.

The election is not open to the public or to the AX attendees.

I guess we'll find out after Halloween who gets elected.

Last edited by Hakaider : 10-18-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #1035
Access

Quote:
I'm not sure either if there is an actual term limit for the SPJA.
Actually I found it with a quick search.

http://www.spja.org/news/2012/09/spj...-applications/
"TERM: Two years. Board Directors may be elected for up to three consecutive two-year terms." (near the end of the link)

I guess there is no limit on how long one can be a CEO, but modern-day, it seems like CEO's don't last very long (anywhere from a single year to a couple of years).