Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
DPWolf

Mandalorian Armor

Probably my most intensive build yet. Mandalorian armor, built to standards set by the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club. My goal was to be an official member of the Mercs before Celebration VI, meaning I had to submit an application to be reviewed and accepted/denied.
I was originally going to cut out and shape my own plates, but with finals coming up I decided to buy the chest, ab, and shoulder plates made of 3mm sintra from a seller on the Mercs forum. Ended up having to shape them slightly, and then came painting. And completely modding the helmet - reinforcing the seam on the inside, filling it on the outside with bondo and sanding it smooth, cutting out and replacing the visor, and replacing the rangefinder stalk screw.
It was overall a very long process, but it's probably one of my favorite costumes. I did end up getting approved as Official right before I left for Celebration VI and it was an amazing experience. So here's my Mandalorian character, Haran Tracyn.

Before approval by the Mercs

At Celebration VI

Chilling with my dog

At NYCC this weekend

^thank god for straws

Since getting approved I have made a few minor adjustments and additions (with more planned); I added velcro to my cape to prevent it from choking me and added a bowcaster and holdout pistol to my weapons loadout and am in the process of modifying some knives and a sword to fit with my kit. Also planning to get some kind of mic and amp because my voice is completely gone from shouting this weekend.

2012 Conventions/Events
Star Wars Celebration VI
Star Wars Reads Day
NYCC
Toys on the Hudson
DPWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Penlowe

I like it! looks like you stepped right out of Nar Shadda... accessories are great, color and 'wear' is very nicely done, it looks truly battle worn.

My critique has a weird question though: You're a girl, is it intentionally a cross play? or did it not occur to you that the Mandelorian armor on a female would actually fit the feminine form? Mandelorians aren't clumsy, they wear things that fit perfectly because speed & stealth are critical to a good performance and reputation. If it's cross play you need to fill out the clothes a bit more, put some fake muscles in there. If it's not, trim in the waist & shape those breastplates to actually fit you.
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
ghosgreen

You look very good there. Always great to see another Mando Merc.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I really like the colour scheme. I've seen too many Mandos these days with over the top schemes that really detracts from the costume.

In regards to Penlowe's comments, I completely disagree. In canon there have been numerous female Mandalorians that have disguised themselves as males. In comic and in Traviss' books, there are female Mandos who's armour is indistinguishable from the males. And this was actually to help stop them being picked out in battles.

As far as critique goes, the only thing I would suggest is upgrading the fur that you have wrapped around your waist. Try finding a leather store that sells strips of hide that haven't had the fur stripped. If you were in Australia, I'd suggest getting a roo tail, as most of our leather stores have tonnes of them.
To me, it's too obvious that it's faux fur. If you get real fur, as well, it'll have more of a mottled colour and texture to it. If you do keep the fur you've already got, I'd suggest weathering it, and maybe even (incredibly carefully, due to the synthetic fiber) a singe here and there.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Penlowe

Quote:
In canon there have been numerous female Mandalorians that have disguised themselves as males.
That was part of my point. I could tell she was a girl in the outfit but it was unclear if she wanted to convey male or not. It makes no difference if it's a female character disguising herself as male, or a girl crossplaying as a male character, if the intention is to read as male, the same processes will be used. The OP has not answered yet either.
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
DPWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosgreen View Post
You look very good there. Always great to see another Mando Merc.
Thanks man, are you official too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I like it! looks like you stepped right out of Nar Shadda... accessories are great, color and 'wear' is very nicely done, it looks truly battle worn.

My critique has a weird question though: You're a girl, is it intentionally a cross play? or did it not occur to you that the Mandelorian armor on a female would actually fit the feminine form? Mandelorians aren't clumsy, they wear things that fit perfectly because speed & stealth are critical to a good performance and reputation. If it's cross play you need to fill out the clothes a bit more, put some fake muscles in there. If it's not, trim in the waist & shape those breastplates to actually fit you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
I really like the colour scheme. I've seen too many Mandos these days with over the top schemes that really detracts from the costume.

In regards to Penlowe's comments, I completely disagree. In canon there have been numerous female Mandalorians that have disguised themselves as males. In comic and in Traviss' books, there are female Mandos who's armour is indistinguishable from the males. And this was actually to help stop them being picked out in battles.

As far as critique goes, the only thing I would suggest is upgrading the fur that you have wrapped around your waist. Try finding a leather store that sells strips of hide that haven't had the fur stripped. If you were in Australia, I'd suggest getting a roo tail, as most of our leather stores have tonnes of them.
To me, it's too obvious that it's faux fur. If you get real fur, as well, it'll have more of a mottled colour and texture to it. If you do keep the fur you've already got, I'd suggest weathering it, and maybe even (incredibly carefully, due to the synthetic fiber) a singe here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
That was part of my point. I could tell she was a girl in the outfit but it was unclear if she wanted to convey male or not. It makes no difference if it's a female character disguising herself as male, or a girl crossplaying as a male character, if the intention is to read as male, the same processes will be used. The OP has not answered yet either.
That is actually form fitting, I have a fairly athletic build and don't have much going on with my chest so once you put two layers of fabric over me there's hardly anything there. My plates do have a slight curve to them, not out of laziness or disregard, but because that's just how it is lol.
The idea behind no male/female distinction plates was more of everyone is a warrior regardless of gender, but due to the nature of reality not every female can have standard plates.

But yeah, Nostrum, that was more of an on-hand thing. I needed an approvable belt and had that around so I made due with it, but I do plan to upgrade more once I find a job.

2012 Conventions/Events
Star Wars Celebration VI
Star Wars Reads Day
NYCC
Toys on the Hudson
DPWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
ghosgreen

Ha ha no not yet but I got a lot of friends that are Mando Mercs and have been planning to work on one for a long time now. I hope to get started on mines sometime early next year.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Nice job on the armor. Quite impressive.
I seem to remember seeing your armor at CVI... I think...

Mandalorian armor has been on my "to-do" list for quite some time now. I'd like to put together a suit some day, though I'm not entirely sure what look I want to give it yet. But that's not going to happen for a while, I've still got some costumes for the Rebel Legion and 501st to finish. I'm already a Rebel Legion member, but my Sith Acolyte will be my first 501st costume.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote