Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #76
Stormtiger

It entirely depends on who you talk to and who you run into, there are good people in fandoms and questionable ones

Only thing that had bugged me is when fandoms look down on other cosplayers from the same series because who their cosplaying. (Ex. Sakura from Naruto and Elizabeth from Black Butler)

I see this more for female characters then male.
Stormtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #77
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Regardless of reason, it's sad that many people (myself included) do or have avoided the Homestuck series because of bad experiences with fandoms. I actually plan to try reading it again over Christmas break (I tried once before, it was too dry for me to bear), so we'll see how that goes. XD
I hope it goes well for you and hope you come to like it. o v o
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #78
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

Soooo, as much as a total Homestuck that I am, I gotta agree that we can be pretty annoying. The collective of us practically took over New York Comic Con on Saturday, with about 200+ people. But I do need to mention, that Homestuck is practically the nicest series I've ever known, and the fans have almost been whats helping my survive my freshman year. For every fandom you're going to hear bad stuff. So, it's just normal logic that the bigger the fandom, the worst you're going to hear about it. And Homestuck is pretty big.
Still, I'd like to ask all of you guys to give Homestuck cosplayers a try, because I have been told by cosplayers from other fandoms I've talked to while I was cosplaying Homestuck at conventions "I've always been terrified to talk to you guys, but you've ended up to be some of the nicest, closely knit group that I've ever met." And it broke all of your hearts to hear a Hetalian say that.
Another group that people tend to look down on. Hetalia is great! Both Hetalia and Homestuck are centered on a...different kind of humor that can be seen as offensive, and some fans take it a tad bit too far.
Give them a chance, please.

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Friday: Sober! Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) 80%
Saturday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Sunday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Jabberwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #79
Silo
Silo, Sylo, Sai-lo

Alright-y.

Like a lot of people, i'm going to have to say Homestuck.
I've actually read quite a bit of it- and even considered cosplaying it once too!
But being to several conventions, and just seeing them behave put me off.
I get it, you homestuck fans and cosplayers are nice, TO EACH OTHER.
People keep saying "Only a few of us make us look bad"...um, it's more like
"There's only a few of us who aren't half bad"...In most cases, a lot of them are
really young ( and immature) and what happens is when they all get together in a
big group, they seem to think that they're invincible or something. The more people
in the group, the louder they start screaming stuff (swears a lot of the time, even
if there are children around) and they go completely apeshit, jumping around, dancing, play fighting. I just got back from a convention with a friend who is COMPLETELY new to cosplay. She doesnt even know what homestuck is, and she's the one who said
" that group of people over there are really rude and obnoxious"

A lot of you Homestuckers need to stop denying it. You guys can be pretty bad.

but also keep in mind, im not applying this to everyone who cosplays homestuck. Just about 75% of them ;D hahajk

That it's worth the pain, always take the blame
For all your own insecurities
How did I ever let you go?

-♥-
~COSPLAYS~
Sailor Neptune: 65% Done
Sasughey Uchiha: 70% Done
Spyro the Dragon Gijinka: 20% Done
Roxel (AxelXRoxas) 5% Done

Silo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
homestuck
Any fandom who manages to raise 2.8 million dollars to help fund research for incurable diseases can't be all bad, right?

Pretty much all fandoms are annoying. Most of them contain some people who aren't annoying. If you want to cosplay in that fandom and you don't like annoying people, seek out the people who aren't annoying. They exist; I know many of them. I am sure there are annoying people in small fandoms, too, just as there are quality, non-annoying people.

The two major fandoms I have cosplayed with others are the ones I've seen brought up time and time again in this thread. Because they are large fandoms popular with young people, the percentage of annoying fans one is exposed to at any one time is going to be higher. For example, I am sure if I went to a Metallica concert in the USA, there would be a lot more annoying people there than if I went to a Harmaja concert in the USA, but there would still probably be annoying people there.

Personally, whatever fandom it is that yells "Marco Polo" is the one I find the most annoying. So the world explorers fandom?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #81
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Any fandom who manages to raise 2.8 million dollars to help fund research for incurable diseases can't be all bad, right?
Source?

I know they raised $2.4 million to create an actual video game, but I haven't heard of any philanthropic endeavours yet. Google isn't turning up anything.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #82
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
Give them a chance, please.
We did, they failed miserably at otakon :P
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #83
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-chan View Post
I'm surprised no one has added to this. Hating on specific fandoms in an obnoxious, vocal manner to me is just as discourteous as being "that" guy/girl who gives a fandom a poor reputation.

My bro was once mistaken for Edward Cullen (Twilight) while wearing street clothes. This guy proceeded to yell (yes, YELL) at him in the middle of a crowded comic book convention for dressing as a Twilight character. We were all so taken aback that we couldn't summon the words to correct this person. It's not my brother's fault that he coincidentally looks like a character from a series you don't like. More importantly, it shouldn't concern you even if my brother was the biggest fan of Twilight in all existence. This sort of behavior absolutely mystifies me.
My lord...that I should be so bold as to wear a coat that looks like his coat.

How absurd...!

.......... ;/
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #84
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Source?
LOL I was being facetious.

Also wow, a bunch of people must have pulled out since I remember it closing at around 2.8, since they got to the "artbook" level but not the level past it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 10-20-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #85
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
LOL I was being facetious.
Ah, internet tone.

It would be nice if they were throwing that much money at charities, though. Considering the size of the fandom, they could make a good impact.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #86
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
Source?

I know they raised $2.4 million to create an actual video game, but I haven't heard of any philanthropic endeavours yet. Google isn't turning up anything.
Well, if nothing else, the ones at our local con always have a big can drive.
Either we just have a slightly older portion of the Homestuck fandom and so they are easier for me to get along with, or there are a lot of decent people in the fandom.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #87
belligerent
Viking Metal

I know decent people who are Homestucks. I cosplay it but only when I lose bets or people ask me to.

Quote:
It would be nice if they were throwing that much money at charities, though. Considering the size of the fandom, they could make a good impact.
This was my main issue with the project. Also this video game would have been made, anyway, and it would have made an enormous profit, anyway, so things like that make me keyboard smash everywhere.

I know everybody's money to spend is their money to spend, but yeah, if that power could only be harnessed for good.
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #88
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobuWind View Post
I also think that some fandoms are hated on because they are incredibly large. Homestuck, Hetalia, MLP, Naruto, Bleach, etc, are so incredibly massive (Naruto and Bleach not so much anymore, but you occasionally see people), that I think people get overwhelmed a little bit, and some get tired of seeing the same character over and over again. And you also hear stories of bad apples, and sometimes drama and elitism within said fandom. Shipping wars can also be scary. >.<
But one mega pet peeve I have is when people judge you based on the fandom your in. Don't judge people based on what they like. Get to know them as a person before you go making assumptions that they are like the few bad apples within the fandom.
I very much have this view myself. The larger the fandom is it seems, the more hate gets thrown towards it. It's either over cosplayed, or the "bad apples" get all of the attention and give the relatively sane fans a bad name so that no one wants to approach them. Also yes, the drama inside fandoms can be terrifying as well.
I do have to agree with your pet peeve too. I hate being judged before I'm even approached. "Oh god she's wearing an *insert fandom's name here* cosplay, avoid her like the plague!" I don't scream or run around like an idiot, I'd like to think I am a decent person to talk to.
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #89
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

12 trolls 1 bucket kinda ruined Homestuck for me, being it was my first impression of the series.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #90
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

Homestuck and Hetalia

Honestly, I can not stand the Homestuck and Hetalia fandoms. I mean no offense to either of them, but seriously.
My last con, a bunch of Homestuck cosplayers were throwing buckets at us, gigglesnorted and ran away. Most of us have no idea WHY we are getting buckets thrown at us though, and sadly most of the Homestuck cosplayers I've encountered have been terribly sexual at child friendly cons.
Hetalia fans bother me, mostly because I used to be in a Hetalia group, and I've learned they they tend to be terribly clique-y, and not to mention they are generally so obnoxious and childish. If you're going to cosplay a country, be mature about it, people can get pretty offended by that. I've had terrible experiences with it, to the point where the mention of it disgusts me. I'm tired of fans making me feel like a 'peace-hating, heartless bastard who only loves war and wants all the beautiful countries die', just because I can't stand their precious fandom. I think though, one of the things that disgusts me the most about the ones I've encountered have been the views on joining the military. One second they're bitching overs out for not liking the 'only thing that promotes world peace' to saying they're going to join the military just so 'MY home country, Alfred, will be pleased!' Or 'I'm going to join for my country, cause he's my favorite character.' As someone who's going into the army, it disgusts me that they could make such an important, life changing decision just because of something so superficial. --And all this is coming from someone who used to be part of the Hetalia fandom, it makes me ashamed to have once loved it so much.
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote