Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #811
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
Any advice to make this Aranea cosplay? =D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...86384826_n.jpg
Fabric paint, the kind that dispenses out of the tube like a glue bottle. It'll give you that nice 3D look for the web.

Unread 10-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #812
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
While I know pretty much nothing about Homestuck, a friend of a friend commissioned me to do a version of Tavros for her and she wore it at AWA and I thought I would share it. I'm also currently working on a jacket for a Snowman cosplay for someone else on commission as well.
oh my goodness, I know her personally! haha! Everybody loved it, you did an AMAZING job!!

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #813
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Anyone have an idea for 50stuck Karkat that doesn't have a jacket?
"Trekkie"
"Homestuckian"
Fangirl
My tumblr
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #814
Gil-Gil
China Funsize

Does anyone have any Tips on how I can make MItuna's helmet?;u;

Comikaze Expo 2012
Pacific Media Expo 2012
AnimeiCon 2012
Anime Los Angeles 2013
Sac-Anime 2013
Fanime Con 2013

My facebook!
www(.)facebook.com/china.funsize

My cosplay groups! Join both you like but the first one is the one which is /most/ active!

G.P.S Cosplay group!
www(.)facebook.com/groups/138587446232681/

Hetalians United Group!
www(.)facebook.com/groups/257284397619030/
Gil-Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #815
Schweigie
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrLudwig View Post
Anyone have an idea for 50stuck Karkat that doesn't have a jacket?
I kind of always pictures Karkat as really young looking, so perhaps something that the children of the 1950's wore.

You could do like a vest or shorts kind of deal like this
Or something with longer pants like the boy on the left here

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - 80%
Dave Strider - Homestuck - [red plush] - 0% & [doomed felt] - 0%
Davesprite - Homestuck - 0%
Gil Marverde - Ava's Demon - 80%
Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #816
heaven_firings

I like the first pic for a 50s Karkat, it just looks cuter.

So I just finished a con where I debuted John in his God Tier and Sollux along with a friend who did Dave, Eridan and Gamzee. This was our first time dealing with body paint and we were following a tutorial. So it was sealed and all that but we still rubbed off some. And I wanted to see if there were any other tips to prevent it and allow us to not be afraid of touching stuff.

We used Ben Nye, with powder and Final Seal. We only did one layer of Final Seal and I wasn't sure if this was the main problem or something else. Maybe putting on too much body paint? I don't even know. She used less on Gamzee and didn't seem to have as much of a problem I guess but the end result didn't look as nice because you could still see the human skin.

Would a layer of hairspray help? Is there anything else that might remedy this? I want to do this for a Halloween party and we're gonna do trolls again at a con at some point because I want to get Tavros done.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #817
lunarLupine

I don't use Ben Nye, but I'd have to say that a few more layers of final seal would help. I mist my makeup until it's damp, wait for it to dry, then repeat 6 or 7 times. Idk maybe I'm overdoing it :x but hands are really difficult to seal properly. Other things you could look into are armsocks or PAX paint for your hands/arms. I use PAX on my hands and that stuff doesn't go ANYWHERE once it sets. Heck, it's even waterproof. (Removal can be a bit of a pain if you don't buy remover... haha. I just use dishsoap and elbow grease.)
lunarLupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #818
heaven_firings

I've got more body paint on the way and went ahead and looked into the PAX stuff, so I have that (well the Pros-Aide) on the way as well. Gonna test out both and see what is best.

I read that PAX wasn't something to apply at the con on a few sites though and was wondering how true that was.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #819
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

So, dudes, I was one of the Mitunas at NYCC. it was awesome. if you need a reference, I was the one with the Cronus constantly.
So, we're going to Promstuck together, and since that's mostly fancystuck, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how one would go about being Fancystuck!Mituna. I need ideasssss. I've got some clue on what I'm going to do for clothes, but my biggest question is the helmet. should I wear it, or do you think there could be an alternative? I was thinking maybe a yellow tophat with a visor could work, but I need other ideas.

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Friday: Sober! Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) 80%
Saturday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Sunday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Jabberwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #820
Schweigie
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
I've got some clue on what I'm going to do for clothes, but my biggest question is the helmet. should I wear it, or do you think there could be an alternative? I was thinking maybe a yellow tophat with a visor could work, but I need other ideas.
Personally I would keep the helmet. It seems to be a big part of Mituna's design and personality right now. From what I can tell he seems to be attached to his helmet, treating it like a safety blanket in a way.

So yes, I would vote to keep the helmet. I think it would also be pretty cute. Like everyone is dressed up all fancy in their nice clothes and then there is just Mituna and his helmet.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - 80%
Dave Strider - Homestuck - [red plush] - 0% & [doomed felt] - 0%
Davesprite - Homestuck - 0%
Gil Marverde - Ava's Demon - 80%
Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #821
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

Oh my gog, Schweigie is that your Reo cosplay in your profile picture? yes yes yes *shot*
But, yeah, I think I've decided on wearing the Helmet. It would be humorous, and apperently "kawaii"--quote from my cronus i do not understand. If I feel like it gets in the way of my dancing, i suppose I could just...take it off? Haha

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #822
Seismogenic

Quick question, that I'm preeeetty sure I didn't see earlier in this thread (though apologies if I missed it): for trolls, do you style the wig first and then attach the horns, or vice versa?
Seismogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #823
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

Well, it depends how you're attatching the horns. Are you using a headband? or maybe clips? Then I would style the wig, then attach the horns. If you are using the method which the horns are attached on your head, and you've cut horn holes in the wig, then I would get the horns on and style it.
If you don't know, an idea for doing any kind of styling that is going to eventually have horns is to style, put your horns on, and then restyle for any changes that the horns may do to the wig. Just eyeball it mostly. You may want to get a friend to help you with the back if you are styling it on your head, though...

New York Comic Con 2012:
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #824
lunarLupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_firings View Post
I've got more body paint on the way and went ahead and looked into the PAX stuff, so I have that (well the Pros-Aide) on the way as well. Gonna test out both and see what is best.

I read that PAX wasn't something to apply at the con on a few sites though and was wondering how true that was.
It IS a bit of a pain; not horrible but it's pretty tricky trying not to make a mess. Small touchups probably wouldn't be too bad though, just bring some pre-mixed in a tupperware container or something like that, a bag for used sponges, and some powder. (Word of warning though; I rushed putting it on before a con and didn't really wait for it to dry before powdering; this made it reaaaaaally peely. Putting it on too thick will make it prone to peeling too; I didn't have much left on my fingertips after the con.)

Also; anyone have tips for fangs with braces by any chance? I used the wax method, which worked pretty well, but they got worn down and pretty blunt-looking by the end of the day lol. I couldn't get the fake-nails method to stay on, and I stayed up till about 3 am trying haha.
lunarLupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #825
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarLupine View Post
Also; anyone have tips for fangs with braces by any chance? I used the wax method, which worked pretty well, but they got worn down and pretty blunt-looking by the end of the day lol. I couldn't get the fake-nails method to stay on, and I stayed up till about 3 am trying haha.
Yes, actually! I'm personally a GIANT fan of Scarecrow's fangs. They run about $19 at Halloween stores (lucky that it's October! :D) and have never let me down. Instead of using wax, they make a denture out of plastic that fits to your teeth. The only problem I could see arising is maybe the point of the fang getting a bit worn down if you have braces on your lower teeth? If that's the case, just use a nail file and sand them back into a point. My Tavros just recently refiled hers because they'd gotten dull over time (and occasional misuse) and they look great now! I hope that helps! :D

Also thanks to everyone who offered advice on how to fix my cracked horns! I'm caught up in preparing for Youmacon right now, but I'll try out all of your advice as soon as I get back. You guys are the best!! :D <3

In-Progress Cosplay
Sha Gojyo - Saiyuki Reload - 90%
Agent York - Red vs Blue - 5%
Oki - Okami - 10%
Kenren Taishou - Saiyuki Gaiden - 5%

What Cosplay? | The Bet Is Off
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote