Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #31
FortuneCookie
Legen-wait for it-DARY!

I love the way you're going about making your sword! I made Cloud's FF7AC Buster sword for this year's NYC Comiccon out of the exact same base materials you are using! I did it to spec as well, but I think yours will be heavier than mine is due to how long your wood center support is.

I've gotta say though, yours is MUCH more clean than mine is. I made my edges by hand with a small coping saw and eyeballing it. Yours is very well done! I used the same board as a base, but I used Mod Podge as a sealing agent before paint. Also, I used dowels wrapped in hockey tape for the back handles, a rake handle for the hilt (w/padding), metal pieces from a broken lightsaber for hilt end cap and top, center gear from a nerf gun, and various other things. Mine isn't worthy of yours, but here are some pics from comiccon!

I know yours will come out much better than the one I created, but if you have any questions about my experience with it, ask away! Good luck with the rest of your projects!
FortuneCookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #32
Takaaaa

Quote:
i had that happen to me too... glued my prop to the wodden splints... while clamping...

i learned from a furneture maker one of hiss stupid tricke... WAX Paper... between the wood and your glued peice... wax side on the propper side... works great and costs little...

even with urathane glue..
Yes we share the pain! HAHA Ohhh wax paper is a good idea. I ended up using saran wrap. I also used less glue. LOL!!

Quote:
I love the way you're going about making your sword! I made Cloud's FF7AC Buster sword for this year's NYC Comiccon out of the exact same base materials you are using! I did it to spec as well, but I think yours will be heavier than mine is due to how long your wood center support is.

I've gotta say though, yours is MUCH more clean than mine is. I made my edges by hand with a small coping saw and eyeballing it. Yours is very well done! I used the same board as a base, but I used Mod Podge as a sealing agent before paint. Also, I used dowels wrapped in hockey tape for the back handles, a rake handle for the hilt (w/padding), metal pieces from a broken lightsaber for hilt end cap and top, center gear from a nerf gun, and various other things. Mine isn't worthy of yours, but here are some pics from comiccon!
I give you props on your prop! Well well done! And looks very light. Yeah, mine isnt slightly heavier then I was hoping, but using lighter weight options helped a lot. Very interested and smart choice of materials. Good going man! Thanks for the pictures too! Keep up the good work!
Takaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
Takaaaa

Ok so I know I havent posted anything in a few days but it was because all I have been doing was sanding, filling imperfections, and sanding more. Phew! Pain in the butt! But I finished and I am starting to prime it!

So this is just me continuing to wet sand to get it smooth

Filling the imperfections with bondo and sanding smooth. I also glued the smaller two swords to the base.

I finished sanding the handles and round thing. So now hitting it with filler primer. I use filler primer to get rid of any imperfections I may have missed and the smaller stuff from sanding

And one piece primed! a bunch more to go!

Will update the parts and materials list and keep your eyes out for more updates. The convention is this weekend so I will kick it into high gear now.
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Still looking good. Definitely looking forward to seeing the end result.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #35
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
Still looking good. Definitely looking forward to seeing the end result.
Thank you! This build will be done by friday. Since that's when my convention is. So keep your eyes peeled for more updates!

Last edited by Takaaaa : 10-17-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
Takaaaa

Ok so today I primed the blade. Was straight forward and painless.... or was it? LOL

It certainly wasnt! I'm really really picky about every tiny detail. And I noticed some spots the the filler primer couldnt fill. So I filled it with more bondo and hand sanded it smooth. Wasnt needed but, the small imperfections bug me. LOL

I will primer it again tom'w and will spray the base coat of silver. I will post pictures of the colors I used as well as update the materials list tom'w.
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #37
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

Looks so good! Excited to seethe final result!

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #38
Takaaaa

Ok sorry everyone for not posting in few days but I decided not to dress up at this convention. I went the first day and hardly anyone was dressed up so I passed and enjoyed the other days as myself. It was still fun. But I will be using this for another, much larger anime convention coming up in 5months. Soooooooo lets continue this build!!!! YAY!!

So pretty much since the last post, I touched up spots on the main blade and sprayed it with more primer.
Then I started to lay down the first coat of paint. These are the colors I used

I know it looks gold but its really silver and this brand is the one I like best for anything that needs a really mirror like sliver. Buuuuuuuuuut I ended up not using the sliver because it made the blade look really fake. so I went with a flat gray (not shown in picture, sorry)

Next I added the handle. PVC pipe that's the same size as Cloud's handle.
As you can see, this is the flat gray that I used. Looks plain but we will change that soon.

After coloring the two handles, I glued them on.

While the glue was drying I started to make the tsuba or blade guard. Making sure that it fits the same specs as in Advent Children.

Then cut out the pieces that will go on top of this.

Unread 10-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #39
Takaaaa

Ok after gluing the pieces I just cut onto the blade guard, I put a few layers of KILZ2 to seal it. I also cut out these small round pieces that will go on the bottom of the blade guard

After the sealer dried I added bondo to fill the gaps where I glued the pieces together. I also test fit the round pieces I just made

One more thin layer of KILZ2 just to smooth out the marks from sanding the bondo and test fit it one more time.

So it's off to paint it. while the paint was drying I went out and bought screws for the blade and blade guard. The screw size that fit the specs in the movie were very large and I needed 28 of them which weighed almost 3lbs of just screws. So I went this plastic screws of the same size but 1/20 the weight. A quick coat of primer and paint. And they look just like metal screws but lighter!

Last edited by Takaaaa : 10-23-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Unread 10-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #40
Takaaaa

Now I just used a drill bit and drilled holes in the blade after marking the right locations. Added a bit of glue and just screwed them in like normal.

Well the blade guard is dried and I glued it on to the main blade!
Now time to add more life into this flat gray sword! So I took out my airbrush and added post shading and details to make it look like worn metal and just make it pop.

All that is left is putting the screws on the blade guard and wrapping the handle in red cord. And that will complete this build. So I will try to do that in the next few days!

Last edited by Takaaaa : 10-23-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #41
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Dude..That doesn't even look like foam anymore....Holy crap..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #42
Takaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Dude..That doesn't even look like foam anymore....Holy crap..
Thanks thanks