Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #1561
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
After a brief reprieve as Alucard and Seras, my girlfriend and I are going back to DMC for next year's Dragon-con and AWA. This time we're going for DMC4 versions of Dante and Trish with our friends as Lady and Gloria. We are hoping to pull in some other friend's for a Nero, Kyrie, and Credo as well.
Glad to hear it buddy! I miss seeing your updates, and ever since your Sparda sword I"ve been burning to make one myself one day. Dragon-con looks so crazy awesome, I don't know how much longer I can resist the urge to throw down on air fare and go!
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #1562
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

If you do end up going, we'll have to meet up. I totally understand about finances though, we were struggling this year to make it to AWA. Hopefully 2013 will be a bit better.

I think I'm gonna be rocking Dark Slayer Style Dante this time, so Yamato is going to be the next thing I tackle before going on to remake Ebony, Ivory, and Rebellion. I'm solid on everything except the tsukamaki. I have a couple theories that I'll be playing around with, but I'm really at a loss for how to wrap the hilt of that sword: http://api.ning.com/files/PB2mM8akvK...d/Yamato_3.jpg

Rebellion needs to be light enough to hand on my back, so I may remake it with the magnet trick. Foam/fiberglass will most likely be how I go. I was also thinking that I may go after a Coyote-A too. All depends on time and money.

Your Cerberus 'chucks came out great, by the way. You gotta get some more pics up
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #1563
LoveofCountry

Def!! This will be the first year in awhile I'll actually have a decent tax return so I'm thinking of squirreling it away for A Con-cation :0) Just need girlfriend approval. I"m jelly D*C is right in your backyard, but from what I hear PAX east is quite a monster too I just wasn't aware of it till recently....noob mistake :0(

Dark slayer!! Love it. I'm kind of torn between trying to tackle Vergil or a Nevan guitar as my next DMC project. That hilt-wrap is INSANE, it's like it threads into the sword itself. I want to try casting my Guns, just waiting for them to get beat up enough where I can convince myself it's a good idea, lol.

Let me know what you come up with for Rebellion, The extra couple pounds you get with all wood just sucks for magnet placement. I put a lot of energy and money into trying to get a magnetic attachment and it's just too hard without foam, broke one of my skeleton's arm bones right out the hotel elevator when I thought it would work.

Appreciate it alot! I've been meaning to, I just had a SNAFU with the LIPO charger I bought for them. It was malfunctioning all because of the stupid LCD screen protector it comes with, it jammed in it and blanked out the display, I had to pry it out with a knife!
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #1564
LordDraco3
On a mission

Yeah! D*Con! Went to this last one and it was a blast (finally got to meet Gabi Diesel bros!), my gf and I already have tickets and a room lined up for next year. Sounds like we may have a big DMC group possible, and sounds like we could totally work out having no double costumes or devil arms.
If you happen to make it out, LoC, I just may try and buy that Cerberus off of you. It's too sexy to ignore :P

Been a while since I've done a DMC prop. Bought some huuuuge pieces of foam board a long time ago, thinking of trying my hand at Sparda or Merciless, but can't decide for the life of me. Sparda is the best sword evar, so I'm leaning towards it... but playing DMC2 HD really made me love Merciless, and it would match Diesel Dante. Help me decide? My Alastor's weight upsets me so much that I need a new devil arm in my life...
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #1565
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveofCountry View Post
That hilt-wrap is INSANE, it's like it threads into the sword itself.

Let me know what you come up with for Rebellion, The extra couple pounds you get with all wood just sucks for magnet placement. I put a lot of energy and money into trying to get a magnetic attachment and it's just too hard without foam, broke one of my skeleton's arm bones right out the hotel elevator when I thought it would work.
Yup, at this point I'm thinking its probably best to just fake the tsukamaki and glue on strips of white ito in the pattern directly to the same, which will be faux ray skin. But the problem there is then how to cut the ito, which is traditionally cotton, without it fraying or looking "cut".

For Rebellion, I'm probably just going to go foam/fiberglass. All in all that's going to be the easiest way to keep the weight down and the durability up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Been a while since I've done a DMC prop. Bought some huuuuge pieces of foam board a long time ago, thinking of trying my hand at Sparda or Merciless, but can't decide for the life of me. Sparda is the best sword evar, so I'm leaning towards it... but playing DMC2 HD really made me love Merciless, and it would match Diesel Dante. Help me decide? My Alastor's weight upsets me so much that I need a new devil arm in my life...
Merciless would be cool to see with a Diesel Dante, but I can image it being a nightmare to find quality references. One of the art books would probably be the best place to start. A spear or scythe form Sparda would be pretty sweet to see if you just wanted to do something different. Or go really big and tackle a fully transformable Sparda...
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #1566
LoveofCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Yeah! D*Con! my gf and I already have tickets and a room lined up for next year....
If you happen to make it out, LoC, I just may try and buy that Cerberus off of you. It's too sexy to ignore :P.
Sounds like you're all set up for D*C Draco, I'm jeally! Haha, I wish I could just whip up a batch of them, If I figure out a way to make them threaded so you can take out the batteries rather than have to install recharge ports, I'd like to make more.

Quote:
A spear or scythe form Sparda would be pretty sweet to see if you just wanted to do something different. Or go really big and tackle a fully transformable Sparda...
That was my favorite part of DMC 2, running around as Trish and merc'ing dudes with Sparda's various forms. I'd LOVE to see that realized in cosplay.
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #1567
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

So, I started doing a bit of work the other day. I'm gonna go a bit different route this time than the scratch builds I usually do. I'm planning on refinishing my first katana, which was just a cheap set piece that my parents bought me when I was a kid, and is currently in disrepair.

The tsuba, saya, and fittings are going to be reused as best I can, with modifications where necessary. The blade will be remade with something a bit more convention friendly, and a new tsuka or hilt will also have to be made. The tsukamaki or hilt wrapping is still up in the air on how I'll tackle it, suggestions are welcome. White and yellow tsuka-ito will come later for the corded wrappings as well as faux ray-skin for the same.

Not sure if its frowned upon as advertising or not, but for the sake of time I'm just going to post my progress album for those who want to peep some pics.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...64958&type= 3

Last edited by 2DLogic : 11-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #1568
eebee

My boyfriend and I have been throwing around the idea of DMC2 Dante and Lucia for an upcoming cosplay project, so I thought I'd drop in and say hi! I might be around here a bunch in the near future!

Chosen, In Planning:
Red (with Subject Unknown), Tempus, Azir (with sand soldier[s])

Under Construction:
Ravager
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #1569
LordDraco3
On a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
My boyfriend and I have been throwing around the idea of DMC2 Dante and Lucia for an upcoming cosplay project, so I thought I'd drop in and say hi! I might be around here a bunch in the near future!
Welcome! There's never enough DMC2 (especially Lucia) cosplay, so can't wait to see what you guys do
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #1570
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Well, I finished up all the sculpting and painting work on the saya for Yamato. All that's left there is to find the golden-yellow sageo cord. All the fittings for the tsuka and blade were refinished and weathered as well.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...116_171558.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...116_171347.jpg
And a close up shot of the eggshell finish I did on the saya.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...2_174849-1.jpg

The blade, hilt, and figuring out that crazy tsukamaki or how to fake it is up next.
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #1571
LoveofCountry

Quote:
Well, I finished up all the sculpting and painting work on the saya for Yamato. All that's left there is to find the golden-yellow sageo cord. All the fittings for the tsuka and blade were refinished and weathered as well.
Looking great 2D. What did you use for the ornamentation of the Saya (i.e. double lightning bolt graphic thing)
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #1572
LordDraco3
On a mission

Looks like you may wind up with the best Yamato yet
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #1573
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Thanks guys. LoC, the ornaments are all done with heat formed styrene for the basic shape, then smoothed and coated with bondo for durability.

Also on DMC news front, anyone have any opinions on the new Virgil's Downfall trailer?

I hate to say it because I because of how much I hate the changes to Dante... but I don't mind Virgil's changes. Aside from the dopey look on his face, the costume is pretty cool; something that I wouldn't be completely against attempting at some point if the game turns out to be a worthy addition to the series. And his design is at least somewhat reminiscent of the original, unlike Dante. His combat also looks quite reminiscent and fun too.

I think there's supposed to be a demo out today/tomorrow too, so I guess we'll finally get to see how the game stacks up when it's in our hands.
Unread 11-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #1574
LordDraco3
On a mission

Yeah, looks like they NAILED Vergil. His face is still ugly as sin, but then again he has to have the same model as Dante. His gameplay looks how Vergil should, and I actually might get excited to play as him. And yeah, his costume looks very appropriate, instantly making me think of Gilver mixed with the Vergil we all know. Classy and Stylish (except the duct tape armband...)

As for the demo... (gonna copy+paste what I posted on FB)

Feels terrible. Noticeable framerate issues in the first cutscene, and the gameplay doesn't feel like DMC should at all.

No lock-on button is a huge irritation, as I'll try and do a launching attack the way I'm used to, and will just swing at the air behind me. Because now, there's a dedicated button for launch attack. Lock-on was a way to get some focus, and I f
eel totally lost without it. It has been in EVERY DMC before, even 2 knew how important it was.

Switching between weapons feels very awkward when trying to mix grappling with attacking, and I often wind up rapidly grappling when I'm trying to attack, due to force of habit. Also, the gun button becomes grapple when switched to different weapons, which makes using the guns very confusing to even use (again, I'll often throw out a few grapple moves before remembering that I can't SHOOT with a different weapon equipped).

Also, dubstep boss fight music. Seriously?

So, I'm still trying to give this game a chance, as everyone points out that it's the gameplay that matters, but....trying the demo, I fucking HATE the gameplay so far. This is NOT Devil May Cry.
--------

Played it again and noticed the secret missions. The inception-style environments look awesome as fuck, so that's one thing that I like. But one of the missions had NO MUSIC, and after the first battle in the demo, the music is bland and forgetful from then on (until the boss fight starts its WUB WUB WUBing). Oh, and again, emphasis on air combat can go to hell.
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #1575
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

I am actually really pleasantly surprised by the demo, I also went in with zero expectation of enjoying myself. My only real complaints are that it's extremely easy, even on Son of Sparda, and the lack of a lock on.

The game's difficulty is ironically lowered for me by one of the things I like most about the new system, the mobility. I absolutely adore how mobile new Dante is. Angel Dash, air dodge, Air Hike, 2 types of grapples, ground dodge, and an aerial dash attack similar to Nero's Air Streak on a Chakram type weapon demoed on the latest stream... there's really no excuse for getting hit except getting greedy with your attack strings.

The lack of a lock on is especially absurd right now seeing as L1 and R1 do exactly the same thing... If there is some use that wasn't available in the demo that will be assigned to L1 then fine, as it is now, not acceptable.
The new dedicated buttons and holding triggers for switching styles takes some getting used to but it doesn't bother me, the real reason I want a lock function is for the grapple system and because it opens up more available input combinations for additional moves. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed or pulled myself towards the wrong enemy when there happens to be a grouping. Locking on to an enemy would eliminate that ever happening and would give access to inputs based on the 4 directions. More inputs>more moves>more style.

The air combat is ridiculous on the level that it is now; it is also another aspect that significantly reduces difficulty. Not much threat when all I have to do is launch>combo>jump cancel>grab>combo>repeat till death. Not gonna lie though, Helm Splitter>jc>Rake>repeat is stupid funny. The best way I can think to balance it without removing jump cancels, which have been a fun little mechanic for a while now, is to limit the amount of Roulette Spins and Double Ups until you touch the ground. Though I suppose it really wouldn't fix anything since enemy hopping has always counted as touching the ground... I'unno.

Music is really more about personal choice, and while I do dig electronic music including some dubstep, it really doesn't fit that part of the game.

I'm definitely with you on it not feeling like a traditional DMC, but from the very beginning what about this game has?