Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Kaliza

Question Can I do anything with this dress? Steampunk-ify?

Ok so I have this dress... It was labeled as steampunk but I realize it doesn't fit the Victorian look pretty much at all. I was wondering if there is any way to make a steampunk outfit out of this? I realize it's a looong shot.

If not, any idea what sort of style/outfit this would fit into? I am thinking maybe keep a sort of steampunk-inspired look but maybe like, post-apocalyptic/time traveler or something? I don't know.

Mostly, looking for ideas on things to add to or pair with this that would look good... I'm going to a ren faire, I realize it's not "period" clothing but I just wanted an interesting outfit and it's not the type of faire where they are strict on attire (I've seen The Doctor running around, fairies, steampunk, demons, belly dancers, furries, etc...)

My other option for the faire is this skirt I have which I posted a photo of below the dress, but I don't really have anything to wear with it...

More Images: http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=627744&ppid=1122&image=30564207 4&images=305642083,305642074,305642087,305642096,3 05642113,305642116,305642126,305642157,305642141,3 05642137,305642132,305642104,305642121,305642099,3 05642147,305642078&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 ,0,0,0,0&format=0

Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I love that dress. It's really cool looking. I like your idea of a post-apocalyptic time traveler. You can mix all sorts of little trinkets with the outfit from different eras (I've thought about this a lot since I was working on a design for a time traveler at one time) and have like a backpack to carry stuff in. Maybe a journal that looks worn and old with lots of different stuff in it.

As for the skirt, you could pair it with a white button down shirt, maybe a corset over it or a leather jacket. You could wear some nice boots with it and maybe a Victorian inspired hat...that skirt could be punked nicely with stuff you can find in thrift shops or around your house.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Kaliza

Thanks! I ended up going with a random outfit/'time traveler' thing with the dress because I ran out of time(ironic? heh)... This is what I wore:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...45532854_n.jpg

I couldn't get together a good enough steampunk-ish type outfit to go with the ruffle skirt in time for the faire, but I still want to try to do one? So if anyone has any more ideas for putting a good outfit together for that, I would love to hear them!

I have two white button down shirts although unfortunately, they're both kinda small/tight on me (but I'm working on that.)
I have this one: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...33272898_n.jpg
and this one: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...97549393_n.jpg

Oh yeah, I also have a plain white button down somewhere, like the kind you'd wear to work, I don't have a good photo but it's a basic plain shirt with a collar.
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I think for throwing the costume together fast you did pretty good. I would definitely go with that idea and just run away with it. You could do so much as a time traveler.

Both of those shirts are great basic pieces for a steampunk outfit. I think if you paired them with the skirt and then played with a few other clothing pieces and accessories, you could get something pretty awesome worked up.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

This thread puts me in mind of the short story Last Ride with the Glory Girls by Libba Bray. It's a steampunk story set on another world as far as I can figure. Very Wild West feel to it. I think both the dress and skirt would fit wonderfully in the story. Hat and duster...Jewlery that really is the time device.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Kaliza

Hey I know this is an old thread but I am still trying to work on my steampunk time traveler idea.

This is what I wore yesterday to the faire:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/9...c738af1ec9.jpg

(I'm on the left)
I was planning to do more accessories but I ended up going sooner than I planned. I am trying to figure out how to improve this costume or what to change or what would look better. I had an idea to wear a bunch of watches like pocket watches and such, but I didn't have time to buy them before the event I went to yesterday.
The corset and shirt that my friend's wearing in the photo are also mine so I could also use those or any of the thing I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Here's a closeup of the corset: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5165%2BXzdGlL.jpg

I do plan to work more on accessories too. I'd like to make some type of utility belt possibly if I can figure out how, and some goggles, a gun and maybe some type of time travel device.
If anyone has tutorials on how to make steampunk spats I would love to see them too! I am definitely making spats, the shoes I wore yesterday killed my feet so I would like to be able to wear comfortable shoes next time and just cover them.

Last edited by Kaliza : 08-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
CJohn

Looks kind of like a steampunk fairy outfit to me.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
sablearts

You could definitely make it steampunk with a little bustling/gathering on the bottom of the dress and then ruffled and bustled skirts underneath to give it a more Victorian volume.

My 1st thought though if you're going to Renfest in it is to do some kind of Elven tough-chick archer. Tribal armbands, pointy ears, crazy I-live-in-the-woods hair, a good pair of boots, and a quiver, and it could look really awesome.
sablearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Kaliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablearts View Post
My 1st thought though if you're going to Renfest in it is to do some kind of Elven tough-chick archer. Tribal armbands, pointy ears, crazy I-live-in-the-woods hair, a good pair of boots, and a quiver, and it could look really awesome.
Do you mean with the dress in my first post?

That sounds like a really neat idea! I would just need to figure out where to get or how to make a quiver.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
boysnextdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablearts View Post
You could definitely make it steampunk with a little bustling/gathering on the bottom of the dress and then ruffled and bustled skirts underneath to give it a more Victorian volume.

Strongly Agree! I personally am always strongly in favor is elven tough-chick
boysnextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote