Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #46
Danteisagenius
Opportunity Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysphinx07 View Post
There are a multitude of panels not just on anime as well as events! My co-panelist and I alone are doing a Japanese cooking panel, one on Japanese festivals/holidays and one on urban legends. Plus the RenCen is quite a lot of fun to wander around in as the architecture is beautiful in my opinion.

As long as your family is open to trying new things and aren't put off by people in costumes, then it should be just fine!
Alright, thanks! If we happen to make it, we will be sure to stop by your panel. It sounds in interesting!

- sincerely, the Opportunist.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
My Webpages:

Facebook
World Cosplay
CosCure

Click on them, I Dare You!
Danteisagenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
The Ren Cen looks absolutely gigantic! Is it easy to get lost in? Or are convention activities mainly dedicated to just a certain area of the Center? Plus I know Youma has the Cobo as well this year, but I'm just hoping my first year won't be spent trying to navigate my way from point A to point B!
The Ren Cen can be a little confusing at first. What really helped me (I have a horrid sense of direction) was on Thursday night after we picked up our badges, we did a photo-scavenger hunt which forced us to scour the whole place. We learned which escalators went where and how everything is basically a big circle!

So, in short, if you can afford the time, just go wander the halls and take a personal tour. Because on Friday, everything breaks loose and it can be even more difficult to navigate since there are so many people! Of course, it may be a little better this year since Cobo is involved.
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #48
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Good thing I get there Thursday afternoon. I usually like to tour a new location on Day 0 a bit in advance so I don't feel too overwhelmed when the convention actually starts.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
snugglepanda

This will be my second year at Youmacon (and second con ever) haha.
^____^ be my friend and come find me.
I don't know if I'm going to finish my Mamimi (FLCL) cosplay in time
But for sure I will be Kairi (KHII) and maybe I'll bring back Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) this year!
snugglepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #50
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepanda View Post
This will be my second year at Youmacon (and second con ever) haha.
^____^ be my friend and come find me.
I don't know if I'm going to finish my Mamimi (FLCL) cosplay in time
But for sure I will be Kairi (KHII) and maybe I'll bring back Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) this year!
Yay! Second year at Youmacon too! Find me if you can! I'll be a Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura), Mio (Fatal Frame 2) and Songstress Yuna (Final Fantasy)

Not in that order, probably the Mio first, then the Sakura and the Yuna last...or the Yuna first, Sakura second and Mio last. Depending on how I feel =D

But my badge will be my username ^^
ParanoidScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #51
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

It's October and I still only have a small portion of my costume done for Youmacon!

OK, question...would it be frowned upon if I ended up just buying a semi-cheap Sub-Zero costume for the convention and just added extra material to the costume?

I wanted to make something from scratch, but it has been so difficult finding patterns that don't exist. I've even googled types of clothing that might work as part of the costume, but they're all too expensive. So I'm running out of options and am thinking that buying a $60 MK Sub-Zero costume may be my last resort.

Any suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #52
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

No one's going to mind unless you try to enter it in one of the cosplay contests and claim that you made it yourself. Seriously, no shame in buying a costume if you don't have the time/skill to make one, so long as you leave the craftsmanship contests to the actual craftsmen.
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #53
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
No one's going to mind unless you try to enter it in one of the cosplay contests and claim that you made it yourself. Seriously, no shame in buying a costume if you don't have the time/skill to make one, so long as you leave the craftsmanship contests to the actual craftsmen.
Well, skill I do have...for the most part at least. But time, I just ran out of. Also, I understand what you're saying and no need to worry, if it isn't a costume I made myself, I would never enter it into a contest.

At any rate I went ahead and bought a somewhat cheap MK Sub-Zero costume off of amazon.com yesterday. I'm still hoping to at least craft the mask on my own through Pepakura though. I'll post some photos once it arrives and is done.

Unread 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #54
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Hey everyone, would any of you be interested in meeting up Thursday out of costume prior to Youmacon to chill and hang out together for a small meal or coffee/tea?

It would be sort of like a group ice breaker to get to know your fellow cosplayers in person and out of costume and especially for those (such as myself) who are new to cosplay, to be able to hang out with those who have been doing cosplay for awhile. But more then that, it would be a way to form friendships prior to the craziness of the convention.

Anyway, it's just a thought...if even a couple people are interested in this idea, I wouldn't mind driving out to Detroit to hang out. Also I read on the Youmacon forum that there will be a pre-Youmacon movie held on Thursday for anyone interested. I thought those interested in meeting up prior to the convention could possibly go to that as well.

Anyone interested?

Unread 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #55
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Totally stoked to do some photoshoots at Youmacon this year!
Getting prepared to use some epic lighting and dramatic backgrounds. =D

(p.s. Bug me if you want to book a shoot!)

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #56
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Just a little over a week left! I should be panicing. I still have work to do! Just...not as much as usual, phew! For some reason though it just does not feel like crunch time. I'm sure that feeling of trying to get everything ready will hit this weekend, though.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #57
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Booyaaaaaa! Almost time to take many photos as Youma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTempest View Post
Getting prepared to use some epic lighting and dramatic backgrounds. =D
Just what I was planning to! : P
Want capture some nice background landscapes this year around.

Photoshoot info! http://eleventhphotograph.com/photoshoot-details
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote