Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #46
Fireflyhikari
Fireflys Faith Cosplay

I'm a commissioner but not starting a project and taking someone's money is just wrong... I don't start the projects until I get payment but that is just because someone had changed there mind after I finished making it... I don't know why you would want to steal someone else's money not only is it wrong but then you loose commissions because of that! Not only that but it will give the store a bad rep...
DeviantArt - Fireflyhikari

Portfolio - Fireflyhikari

Commision Me - Firefly's Faith
Fireflyhikari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #47
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I stopped doing commissions for many reasons, and this is one of them.

Well, this and the fact that commissionees often don't want to pay the second half of the money in order to get the costumes they commissioned (I always did half up-front because I didn't want to start on something and have no money for supplies... but you know what? Often I would never charge the second half or only charge part of it because the commissionee would refuse to pay the rest, and I wanted the costume off my hands.)

The issue, oftentimes, is that a commissioner thinks he/she will have more time than he/she has and waits until the last minute. You'll probably see that they do the same thing with their own costumes. I was like that for a couple of years though I generally did my commissions far in advance and my own costumes the night before... meaning that my own costumes were horrible while my commissions were passable. One night, I stayed up all night to finish my own costume because I had been doing commissions for half the people in my college anime club. That's when I decided I would never do commissions again. I wanted... a life, I guess? And I also didn't want to be responsible for every time something dire came up and kept me from finishing a project for someone else.

Anyway, the point is that most people who do commissions really shouldn't. Most of them are under-selling their time and not budgeting their time well so that they can finish both projects for themselves and for others. If any of you who don't yet make your own costumes ever start making costumes, think long and hard before you start taking commissions. Think about how many hours you will put into each commission, and price it so that you get more than you would at your normal job per hour. Remember that if you start doing commissions on top of a full-time job and hobbies and a social life, that you will end up exactly like the commissioner being discussed in the OP.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 09-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
Mr. Tofu
Soy Bean Gentleman

I'm having issues with my commissioner currently as well. :/

I paid half of my commission upfront in August 2011. She had a few other's going on and asked nicely if it could be delayed which I agreed to since my con wasn't until April.

It is now 3 weeks until my con and I have heard very little but excuses of why things have gone the way they have. I asked that it be done before March and here we are Mid-March almost. She says it will be to me before my con, but I am so stressed, I don't even feel it's worth it.

Ugh.

T-O-F-U

You know you love me ;3
Mr. Tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #49
ZypherDragon24

I can't help but agree to most of the stuff here as well for I too had my issue with a commissioner and the only thing I regret is not coming here to these kinds of threads to keep a lookout for people I should watch out for. I can't very well do much about my situation since mine happened years ago and I'm out of a good amount of money for props dealing with a commissioner and after learning what happened beforehand with others and the excuses the person gave, that just made me pissed to believe his word. For me, if I were to take a commission from someone, I rather meet them up front at a convention or something. That's how I got to know Athel so well and she's a wonderful commissioner that I'd gladly go back to.

As for places like cosplay-fu and cosplayhouse, I had no troubles with them and I can understand some people may have had bad experiences from them in the past but to each their own. I haven't gotten much of a bad cosplay from either of those places. Maybe a little tight around the waist since I tend to go by their size chart but other than that, nothing too over the top.

Join the cause, give AfterlifeUSEC your heart ~ [http://afterlifeusec.deviantart.com/]
ZypherDragon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #50
thunderfirewolf

That's exactly how my first (and only) commision went with Cosblade / Michael Young. I was so furious through the whole thing. The guy took ALL of the money up front, no progress photos, no communication. NOTHING. I wrote a review for him in the commissioner review thread, but I had so many negative and ridiculous things to say that I actually went over the character limit. Fury. I actually got the rod and it STILL smelled like paint even though I had commissioned it AND paid for it at the very beginning of November and he had assured me he could have it done, ready and at my front door by January 10th. It was so obvious that he had rushed to get it made RIGHT before he shipped it out. >:C So much pent up anger. /end rant.

Oh, I forgot to mention. He also completely forgot my deadline. I actually emailed him remind him of it. Done.

Last edited by thunderfirewolf : 03-16-2012 at 05:29 AM.
thunderfirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #51
thunderfirewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecreator View Post
The reason you commission in advance (months prior to the deadline) is to give the commissioner time to make your costume without rushing. Normally, the customers that have problems with their costumes are those that wait until the last moment (sometimes a month is not time enough to put an outfit together) or those that are constantly bothering the commissioner about getting pictures.
I don't like how you worded that, because you make it seem like it's the customers fault that the commissioner took on a project they couldn't complete in a deadline they knew about. If you're a commissioner, you need to realize how fast you can make something that is still top quality. It's the commissioners fault for taking on a project with a deadline that's too close for them. I say 'them' because some people work great under the pressure of a tight deadline.
thunderfirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #52
Ahza_miracle

DAMN reallly, XD... i start to think i really charge soo cheap 0-0, i hear bad things about to many cosmakers, but no sure, i dont like to much the chinese sellers i find the fabric they use the most cheap fabric ever XDD, and yeahh i ask like half of the payment when the person want a cosplay, more because i really wanna be sure the person want the cosplay and dont let me down after i buy everything for the cosplay TT^TT(happen to me firts time i made one) i start to get to many request and i have to work on them all by my self >-<... anyway ^^, show u my fanpage guys 0-0, no to much to see i just made it, but its someone need something let me know ^^ <3
facebook.com/ahzamiraclecosplay
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #53
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

I only ask for the materials up front, then they pay the rest when they want me to ship it.

However, if they want it AS SOON as it's completed I expect full payment as soon as possible so I'm not looking for them for the shipping and labor fees.

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #54
reddragonomega

So here is a point of view of some one who takes commissions. For me If I know I have some time to get the prop made I will take half of the payment in advance and it is because some times it can take a couple months to find/order the materials that are needed. But what really annoys me is when people assume that you are in the same country as the person you are commissioning. I made a very large prop for a girl and had no idea what the shipping was till I was done and when I told her the cost of shipping she decided she didn't want to pay for it. So I'm stuck with a large prop in my work shop because she assumed we were both in the u.s.a. She is also wanting a refund but I did use all the money to buy the materials to make it so it is gone. So here are some tips for ppl that want to commission large props. 1. Make sure you are in the same country. It is not the job of the prop maker to check that you know where they are based out if. 2. Once a prop is made don't expect to get a refund on it. It takes time and skill to make a good prop and that is also what you are paying for. Unless you have a arrangement with the prop/costume maker to get a refund once the item is done.

Sorry I went on a bit of a rant there.
reddragonomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #55
maggietron
I need stuff!

On this site I had one commission that took almost a year to make. I had to keep PMing her about it, till she finally finished it and send it out. Another one i was scammed out $100 ( thank god I didn't pay full)
I have commissioned 2 Chinese commissioners and had great contact with them, kept me updated on what they were doing ( with pics ) and they are the 2 best costumes I own.

I only state this cause of some of the comments i read about Chinese commissioners.
maggietron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #56
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

I'm a relatively new commissioner to this site, but not a new commissioner. Normally i required half when i start, half when i finish. If I have a backup and can't get to something right away, i only require a small deposit (usually 30-50$) to lock your place in line and show that you are serious, then the rest of what would be half when i get to your place in line. People not being serious is becoming a big problem, especially off of this site. I had a table at a con a year or so ago for props, armor and sculptures, I walked away with 30 potential commissions, ranging from 80$ to 7,500$, didn't even think of doing small deposits, and in the end, not a single one worked out. A small deposit shows your seriousness, and proves that you aren't potentially wasting an artists time. If they end up backing out of the deal, they are only out the small deposit. My next table in dec, will be small deposits required.

One thing ive noticed, specifially here is commissionee's budgets for certain things. I think i saw someone a few days ago looking for a full suit of spartan armor for a budget of 250$. I bring this up because the fact that peoples budgets tend to be so low, someone has to be accepting it. This drives down the price of the services as a whole, meaning more commissioners are spreading themselves quite thin. While this is a problem, this is absolutely not excuse for a lack of professionalism. Replies to correspondence is required for any type of relationship, especially in business and services.

As for the progress pictures portion of this, it's easy for me, because of what i specialize in. Every step is significantly different than the previous. Sculpt - send picture, mold - send picture, cast - send picture, paint - send final pictures and request final payment. I don't do cloth related commissions so i shall claim ignorance as to the steps, but more progress pictures should be sent than just "hey look its finished, i hope its what you wanted"

2cents

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #57
AnimaCirque
AnimaCirque

Another complaint...

Interesting you mentioned JD, cause I had that guy commission a costume for me last year and I got up to date photos but when I recieved the costume (from overseas at the time), tried it on, not only did the top not fit correctly the piece that buttoned in front fell apart b/c it was poorly sewn. I mentioned all this too him and he said he'd fix it for me but it would've been too late for the con I needed it for. Plus, I would've had to pay shipping and wait another 2 to 3 weeks....no thank you. So disappointed, now I don't know what to do with this thing and I couldn't get my money back either cause I also made a complaint to Paypal. What the hell?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
It's more a general complaint. I've been queue jumped a lot in my year of adventures with comissioning and it seems that no matter who I approach and how early I approach them, my costume is not begun until the last possible moment (and a good deal of complaining and chasing on my part).

loserific...? Yes. I'm anxious.

But also JD, cosplaymandy, and TeL... ie. ~all but 2 of the comissioners I've ever worked with~

4 out of 6 not answering emails regularly, delivering progress photos they'd promised or starting on a project until the last minute after being given an average of 3-4 months to work on it would seem to indicate this is a problem with more than just one commissioner.

I do not mind waiting in a line... but I would appreciate knowing where in that line I stand and that other customers aren't going to slip in ahead of me while I bite my nails over a deadline that the commissioner seems to have forgotten all about.
AnimaCirque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #58
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I ask for half in advance because yes, I do get started on costumes way ahead of time. But sometimes life happens, or you have other commissions that need to be done before that one.
I just started college so all of my commissions are on the back burner, sure they're gonna get done in time, but not as efficiently as I like.

I understand being upset if they do nothing. But commissioners usually have another job as well.
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #59
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

I am my own fulltime business. If the budget is too low, or the time frame is impossible i decline the job. If my quote is too high, they decline the job. But this is what people expect. Yes, everyone has real life issues, but when you accept a commission, you need to do everything possible to finish it by the deadline. Even if you aren't a business, your commissionee expects you to act as such, no matter what the budget. If you agree to it, you are bound to it. If it is actually a rush job, the customer must accept certain situations (weather knocking out power, or you loose an arm) but a standard commission should have no excuse for a failed product, or the product being late. If you have a problem with time management, start a customer list. Take a tiny deposit to hold a spot in line, and when its their turn they pay the ACTUAL deposit, minus the tiny deposit they already had.

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #60
MaryWesker
MistressMaryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Pissed off at commissioners in general.

When I pay you a 250 down payment in JANUARY and tell you my $500 costume is due in May. I am not paying you 5 months in advance to start the costume in May. I am paying you to start the costume AS SOON AS YOU CAN and take however long you need to finish it to my standards in the time allotted. If you can finish it in 3 weeks, awesome, give it to me in February. BUT STOP TAKING MY MONEY FOUR EFFING MONTHS IN ADVANCE AND THEN RUSHING MY PROJECT OUT THE DOOR THE LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT!!!!

If you aren't going to start my project until the 8 people who come to you AFTER me with nearer deadlines are through the door to maximize your profit, don't take my money so far in advance!!!! Because -I can't get it back after a month-.

Essentially this has become the default for commissioners here and it SUCKS. It sets everyone up to be ripped off, stressed out and disappointed no matter how early they started, how much they paid and how well they did their research.

I've now worked with five people... and only two have gotten me costumes on time. One of those was a rush job and partially incomplete.

I asked for all of these projects four to five MONTHS in advance, paid well over factory-rate, and got promised in-progress pictures only once. Give me a break!!!

-Begin projects when they are paid for, or don't take the money until you are ready to begin (or in the very least, purchase materials)-

I think I have been courteous and reasonable... but when someone is paying you to perform a service for them, that SERVICE matters nearly as much as recieving the product... especially if that service is meant to give you the peace of mind in knowing that that product will be delivered to you on-time in useable condition. Good service is not being shuffled to the back of the queue so people who have managed their time poorly can get their stuff on time while yours goes forgotten.

I do not mind joining a queue that has formed before me and waiting my turn. But that queue should not be jumpable for customers paying after I have unless I am asked ~first~ if it's cool.
This has happened to me three times in the past two years, all from commissioners I found on this site. It's really frustrating. I didn't even get two of my commissions! (They wait till paypal won't cover you anymore to tell you it was 'lost' or they're fixing it and just never send it out; this happened with two props I ordered back in March)

And the other one; the commissioner had 6 months to work on it in total when I placed my commission. And got my measurements wrong (after I sent everything she asked for and made a special note of some of them.) it didn't fit so I sent it back (shipping came out of my pocket) and she had an additional three months to fix it...didn't bother till a week before my deadline and said she didn't have time to fix my commission after a convention....after I'd paid her. I actually had to threaten to report her to get the dress finished...and it was so half assed in how it was 'fixed' I couldn't wear it. $250 in the hole for an outfit I couldn't wear.

Just so nobody else makes this mistake; the two I'm talking about in this post are DevilCosplaysxCO (on deviantart, the prop that never made it) and http://akino-atelier.com/ (she's here, facebook, deviant art and etsy. This was the badly repaired dress) Just a heads up to those who still trust commissioners; I don't recommend these two; horrible experiences.
Vaas Montenegro - Far Cry 3
nurse!Meg - Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote